Nikon upgrade ?

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive owned a D3200 for a few years now and feel my progress has come to a grinding halt. I would like to upgrade but cant afford the D7500.
How much of an upgrade would the D7200 be? Ive been offered one with a really low shutter count (2k) and was wondering if its a step in the right direction?
I'm looking for something that's a bit quicker and better in low light .

I would yes it would be a big step up, go for it if the prices is right.

I have a d7200. My dad has a d3200... I’d say the d7200 is definitely worth the step up too.

I don't know the cameras, Jason but what do you think there is about your current camera that has caused you to, "... come to a grinding halt."?

Dave

Wont be much better in low light, the 3200 is close to modern Nikon DX iso performance, although you will notice an improvement.

The main benefit is getting bigger body with better grip, dual command dials, much better AF system, bigger viewfinder with 100% coverage and pentaprism instead of pentamirror.
6 fps instead of 4 with a considerably better buffer, 2 card slots, better screen and oled info display in viewfinder. Tougher body with weathersealing, much more features and customisations, more buttons.
And the list goes on and on.

For me the D3200 was the point at which sensor upgrades became pretty much irrelevant.

Yes test charts and lab tests might show a bit better performance but in reality your technique will have a bigger impact than the sensor.

So all I am saying is don’t spend a lot of money just for a newer sensor. There are plenty of other reasons to upgrade (better AF that is more reliable in low light, more direct controls) but if these aren’t your reason for upgrading you would probably be better off putting money towards better lenses.

So the question is, what do you feel is holding you back?

The D7200 appears to be a better camera in terms of having a better control layout, brighter viewfinder and better focussing, BUT. If those things are not what's holding back your photography then it's doubtful you'll notice any difference in your pictures, plus it will be a big and heavy lump to cart about instead of a small light one.

I feel my main downfall is shooting anything that moves. lol. More focus points might help pick the right areas to focus on, and the increased FPS will help with my aircraft and motorsport photography. I would like to master panning and think the D3200 is slow to respond.
I'm always learning so if you think I'm talking crap then feel free to say so. I have some good lenses which all range around the F1.8 to F4 apertures.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

I feel my main downfall is shooting anything that moves. lol. More focus points might help pick the right areas to focus on, and the increased FPS will help with my aircraft and motorsport photography. I would like to master panning and think the D3200 is slow to respond.
I'm always learning so if you think I'm talking crap then feel free to say so. I have some good lenses which all range around the F1.8 to F4 apertures.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Not talking crap, but when considering an upgrade it is normal to identify what areas need improvement and then seeking equipment that will do what's required. Sometimes it's nice to have new kit simply because it's more inspiring to use than the old kit, and that's a valid reason too, but any improvement in that situation is normally short lived. So you want better focussing, faster image capture, possibly better viewfinder too for the panning work - all legit.

Am I doing the right thing then? I've arranged to meet the guy who is selling the D7200 with a view to purchasing it on Monday night. I was going to take my Tokina 11-16 to try it out,

Am I doing the right thing then? I've arranged to meet the guy who is selling the D7200 with a view to purchasing it on Monday night. I was going to take my Tokina 11-16 to try it out,

Based on your stated desire "More focus points might help pick the right areas to focus on, and the increased FPS will help with my aircraft and motorsport photography. I would like to master panning and think the D3200 is slow to respond." that seems like the wrong lens to take. I'd suggest taking at least a standard zoom, possibly also telephoto and your current camera for side-by-side comparison. If the 7200 doesn't perform noticeably better than the 3200 in the areas you want improved then I'd suggest walking away.

Just thinking about this in the light of my own upgrade 2 years ago, from APS-C to FX, I already knew what I wanted from full frame and why I was changing, also had a pretty good idea of how the D610 would perform and handle. You have time, so research the 7200 and see if you *think* it will do what you want and how it handles before you get there so that you aren't so overawed by the lure of new-shiny.

Last edited:

Might as well go and try it though I'd be surprised if that doesn't ultimately end with you handing over some cash! Generally speaking, changing body won't make drastic difference to your output but might make certain shots easier to achieve. You're unlikely to see an improvement in panning as that is more about technique that AF system but you'll probably find AF to be generally better and more flexible. Low light performance probably won't change a great deal but you might see something there. I think the major benefit in stepping up to that class of body is bringing more of the controls to your finger tips, better/bigger/brighter VF and more comfortable grip and all that might mean that you enjoy using it more, find fewer frustrations, and may on occasion mean that you're able to get a shot that you may have missed on another body while you were trying to engage AF-C in a sub menu or something. So there are benefits, some perceived and some actual but just don't expect a whole new world of opportunity to open up or your results to take a major leap.

I went to a static aircraft evening shoot a few months ago and found my camera taking ages to take a shot (partly my fault to sticking with ISO100) whilst all others around me seemed to be clicking continuously away in milliseconds. I'm convinced that the low ISO wasn't the only restricting factor and my camera just wasn't up to the job. I was missing the vital poses with actors and fog machines.

I went to a static aircraft evening shoot a few months ago and found my camera taking ages to take a shot (partly my fault to sticking with ISO100) whilst all others around me seemed to be clicking continuously away in milliseconds. I'm convinced that the low ISO wasn't the only restricting factor and my camera just wasn't up to the job. I was missing the vital poses with actors and fog machines.

So what mode did you have it on ? Do you mean the camera was forced to stay at iso 100 or something

I have had both the D3300 and D7200
as others have said, image quality difference is hard to see if at all, also agreed more controls to hand and advanced AF,
personally I couldn't be bothered to learn the more intricate AF options that the D7200 offers but im sure I would have got some benefit if I had,I have a book on the d7200 from Tom Hogan and in some ways the more
complex system put me off and I reverted back to a D3300 which I prefer.
Im sure you are more dedicated than me and could well love the d7200 if those improvements are what you are looking for but its definitely a camera that I found had too many options for me but YMMV
let us know what you decide.

ISO setting on the camera won't affect the speed of autofocus, so it wouldn't have mattered if you were on ISO 100 or ISO 6400 in terms of autofocus speed. Things that affect AF speed are the camera's AF system, AF speed of the lens (very important but often overlooked), contrast of the subject, and of course ambient/available light.

The D7200 is a big upgrade in terms of camera performance as mentioned, although in terms of image quality you won't notice much difference if at all. But your issue is not getting the shot so the D7200 may help with this. I'd personally rather have the D7200 over the D7500 anyway due to the dual card slot, I'm really paranoid about corrupt cards :eek: Also consider what lens you're using and whether this is up to the job?

Thanks guys. I went through a phase of being scared of cranking up the ISO. I'm happy with image quality from the D3200 but unhappy that sometimes it just seems to be slow to react or cant keep up with moving subjects when on continuous. I'm certain my lenses are good enough (Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4) (Tokina 11-16 F2.8) (Nikon 35mm Prime F1.8) (Nikon 300mm prime F4).

Just a passing thought but how about a 7100 instead? It's got the twin card slot which I have found really handy and can go to 7 fps. I think you'll find there's not a huge difference in between the 7200 and 7100 apart from maybe WiFi. It could be a cheaper alternative, I went from a 5000 to a 7100 a couple of years ago and am in no hurry to move on!

I made a post in another thread about my experience,
Although your needs are different than the other thread I’ll try to accommodate,
I upgraded from having the D3200 for 5 year to the D7500 last week,
What an absolute machine the D7500 is,
I know you are looking at the D7200 but in fairness not all that much difference really,
7200 has 2 card slots, 7500 has one, no big deal at all,
6fps on 7200 and 8fps on 7500,
I only shoot mainly at night but do like to do aviation photography,
My D3200 handled moving aviation no problem at all with its 4fps,
But the D7500 is just in another league for shooting moving aircraft,
Just set to group autofocus and continuous high and omg, let it rip,
Outstanding camera is the D7200 few of my friends have them,
The D7500 has the same image sensor as the top line D500,
Either way I’d deffo say you won’t regret the upgrade,
3200 to 7200, night and day,
My opinion anyway

Thanks Liam. That's been a massive help as you have experienced the same situations as me.

Went from a 3200 to a 7100 and the difference really is night and day. More focus points, better AF system, more controls at your fingertips as opposed to diving in menus, more FPS.

I've used a D7200 and it's a massive upgrade - though maybe not in image quality that you may be hoping for?

Back