Nikon Users: Focus accuracy technical question D800/E

Edit My Images
No
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this subject, apologies if this has been covered before.

I primarily shoot with 2 cameras at weddings, a D800e and a D3- in low light situations when flash isn't appropriate I tend to have both cameras on very similar settings around the 1/125th f2.8 with iso pushed to a max of 6400 (the D3 has a 70-200 on it, the D800e has a 24-70 on it).
I just find that the D3 despite being the older model is a lot more accurate/reliable and returns sharper better focused images.

Is this because the D800e has 3 times the mp?..... if this is the case if I reduce this will it help?....... Why does this even happen?

Obviously I've considered swapping lenses but the dynamic range of the D800e is better so what I would gain I would lose in other areas, I just find it strange that it being the newer body that it struggles- or am I doing something wrong?

I've noticed this before too whilst trying to take some casual snaps of a fast moving dog in good light with the D800e on more appropriate settings, it just massively underperforms.... and yes I know it's a portrait camera etc. but still you'd think that at 1/1200th, back focusing, af-c with 9 point focus in play it with the subject heading straight to the lens it would work but it just doesn't.

(I really want a D4s to replace it but I don't have the funds!!!!)

Just one question have you checked the AF fine tune.

Hi Mike, Yes I have, I had a wobble with the camera a couple of years ago stemming from a similar incident and did various tests and it was fine.
The D800e in the right conditions with the 24-70 is pin sharp and excellent, but it just seems to be a bit of a diva/sh*t in certain circumstances- the dog shots are an extreme example I think of the problem I suffer with low light and a slower shutter speed, with the dog I only used it as a last resort because the D3's battery was flat but the failure rate from the shots was shocking whereas I know the D3 would have been so much better.

Again I know one's a pro body and maybe geared for action and the other body for portrait type stuff but still the gap I think shouldn't be there.

I found my d700 locked faster than my d800.

That would be about right re my observations, again the 700 is the older body- yes less mp but still. I found that with the dog shot the 800 would lock on but in a 'burst' (bearing in mind its 4ps) it'd lose it easily or the end result would appeared a little blurred.

Back