Nikon version of the Canon M

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently in the process of switching from Canon to Nikon as the D750 has impressed me so much for the money. Only thing is I love my little Canon M, great little camera and with the 22mm lens fits in my pocket, perfect for shots out with the kids where i wouldn't wanna risk a dslr.

What I wanted to know was if Nikon do a similar system that have a fast small prime to fit in my pocket and also use their normal dslr lens with an adapter like I can on the Canon M?

So I'm guessing more akin to a compact than the Canon mirrorless?

Really like having dslr quality that can fit in my pocket and share my bigger lens.

I think the V1/2/3 can use an FT1 adapter to allow you to use lenses from the DSLR's, not sure if the S or J series do though.

They're pretty good for what they are but would hardly call them astonishing.

The sensor on those is a little smaller than on the Sony RX's and very different to APSC let alone Full frame, smaller than micro four thirds.
If you want a small camera with a prime with good iQ then your going to have to either retain the M or maybe go for a Fuji XE2 - XT10 + 35mm or X100T with its fixed 23mm lens, you'll get the portability and the iQ but just have to have another system to do it.

I'm currently in the process of switching from Canon to Nikon as the D750 has impressed me so much for the money. Only thing is I love my little Canon M, great little camera and with the 22mm lens fits in my pocket, perfect for shots out with the kids where i wouldn't wanna risk a dslr.

What I wanted to know was if Nikon do a similar system that have a fast small prime to fit in my pocket and also use their normal dslr lens with an adapter like I can on the Canon M?

If I were in your position and wanted to switch to Nikon for my main camera, I would keep the M just for every day use. I like my M and use it a lot more than the 7D.

Not quite the same thing as its fixed lens but take a look the coolpix A. It's a proper aspc sensor with 28mm equivalent lens. Looks like a really nice little camera.

That's a shame, looks like I'll keep hold of the Canon M then, surprised Nikon havent done an equivalent. While the focusing may not be the fastest it's such a handy little camera and was great with a 10-18mm and adapter.

Have had the M and the 1 system, M is superb with the 22mm. What I remember about the 1 is the tracking feature was excellent and camera was quick to use.

For the price you could pick one up for now it might be worth a punt, if it was one or the other I'd stick with the M

Not quite the same thing as its fixed lens but take a look the coolpix A. It's a proper aspc sensor with 28mm equivalent lens. Looks like a really nice little camera.
It is. If you want a pocketable camera and can live with the focal length, it's a bargain these days.

A lot of the time I'm using it is when messing round with the kids indoors and don't want an expensive camera getting knocked about, the picture quiality at the higher iso's needed was pretty similar to my old 60D, I'm guessing none of the smaller sensor mirrorless cameras are going to be able to come close to that?

Just a shame I can't justify keeping an UWA and my 85mm just for the occasional use on the Canon M.

The M with a 22mm lens is a camera that can be put in a pocket, although I only have the 18-55, I can still just about get it in a pocket of my Barber. I wouldn't mind a used 22 for the right price. :)

I actually got my 22mm from CEX online, was by far the cheapest and they give a warranty on it, the first one arrived not working so just took it back my local store and they refunded me straight away so I just ordered another, probarly £30-40 cheaper than they go for on eBay.

They're pretty good for what they are but would hardly call them astonishing

Far from it @minnnt - they are absolutely amazing! Nikon went right back to the drawing board with their designers being given the digital brief "If you had to design the camera again what would you come up with?" The 'V' and 'J' series cameras and Series 1 lenses have been the result - it's a worthwhile task to read of the history.

What the Designers didn't consider was the vastly opinionated Media circus which had (at the time) concluded the sensor was "too small" and bigger was better - from that moment on the blinkers came down on those who didn't know any better or hadn't used one - and 4/3 was all the rage.

You should see the work my wife produces with her V1 and she never uses the whole array lenses we have at our disposal through the FT1 adapter. She just uses the Series 1 lenses. I have a V2 and it's my 'go to' kit for my travels. A3 prints are never a problem if you should ever need one.

Here is a showcase for the Series 1 cameras - it's become a little old and some of the photo links are busted and it's full of enthusiasts who are keen to show what you can with your DX/FX lenses.

Nikon 1 Series Owner's Thread

Ferrari Fest! by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_5503 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

Far from it @minnnt - they are absolutely amazing! Nikon went right back to the drawing board with their designers being given the digital brief "If you had to design the camera again what would you come up with?" The 'V' and 'J' series cameras and Series 1 lenses have been the result - it's a worthwhile task to read of the history.

What the Designers didn't consider was the vastly opinionated Media circus which had (at the time) concluded the sensor was "too small" and bigger was better - from that moment on the blinkers came down on those who didn't know any better or hadn't used one - and 4/3 was all the rage.

You should see the work my wife produces with her V1 and she never uses the whole array lenses we have at our disposal through the FT1 adapter. She just uses the Series 1 lenses. I have a V2 and it's my 'go to' kit for my travels. A3 prints are never a problem if you should ever need one.

Here is a showcase for the Series 1 cameras - it's become a little old and some of the photo links are busted and it's full of enthusiasts who are keen to show what you can with your DX/FX lenses.

Nikon 1 Series Owner's Thread

Ferrari Fest! by Barry Cant, on Flickr

DSC_5503 by Barry Cant, on Flickr

You sound like you have quite a bit of experience with the Nikon mirrorless, what's your opinion of them in low light? How well do they handle the high iso's?

... the picture quiality at the higher iso's needed was pretty similar to my old 60D, I'm guessing none of the smaller sensor mirrorless cameras are going to be able to come close to that?
Canon aren't exactly at the leading edge these days and if you try some of the better APS-C or MFT compact system cameras you may be very pleasently surprised at the image quality.

Canon aren't exactly at the leading edge these days and if you try some of the better APS-C or MFT compact system cameras you may be very pleasently surprised at the image quality.

Exactly the reason I'm looking to switch over to Canon. Would of just been nice to share the full size lens with a mirrorless like i could with the Canon. Just generally didn't think the smaller sensors would be able to keep up with the higher iso's.

Would hardly call them astonishing Barry.

I did say they were pretty good though.

The Series 1 cameras were the first Nikon sensors I've ever had that could handle reds without any further processing - that WAS astonishing! ;)

Nikon don't make a small lens you can take from their full frame DSLR full stop (what's the smallest? 50mm f/1.8?) , so you might as well keep the Canon or look into Fuji, Sony etc.

Last edited:
Nikon do a 10mm pancake lens for the 1-series so with the 2.7x crop factor is a 27mm equivalent. That makes for a pocketable package.

Nikon don't make a small lens you can take from their full frame DSLR full stop (what's the smallest? 50mm f/1.8?) , so you might as well keep the Canon or look into Fuji, Sony etc.

^^ +1
Why would you want to take an FX/DX lens when you have 1 Series lenses?

^^ +1
Why would you want to take an FX/DX lens when you have 1 Series lenses?

95% of the time my Canon has the 22mm on it but was nice to be able to use the 10-18mm and 85mm occasionally, they work surprisingly well on it.

95% of the time my Canon has the 22mm on it but was nice to be able to use the 10-18mm and 85mm occasionally, they work surprisingly well on it.

Sorry Mark, I know little of Canon M series. All I can offer are suggestions about the Nikon 1 Series - nearly all my NIkon lenses will fit with an adapter but for ease of portability I have the lenses that were designed for it without an adapter (they also work very well). The 'pancake' is exceptionally pocketable (but I don't have one) as is the 10-30mm zoom.

I have the Nikon 1 10-30mm VR, cute and a surprisingly good little zoom.

Also the 30-110mm VR, 70-300mm VR, and 32mm VR.

Love these with the Nikon J5, hope to use the 70-300mm more if and when the V4 arrives (here's hoping).

Last edited:
Ended up with a V1 almost by accident! I was waiting for the 1AW waterproof system to be introduced with the intention of using F mount lenses on it with an FT1 adaptor. Managed to pick up an FT1 cheaply but had nothing to stick it on so picked up a white V1 through the classifieds on here at a very good price. Now keep an 18-200 on the V1 (approx. 50-500 EFL) and the supplied zoom on the 1AW since lens changing on the AW can be a source of water leaks. Compared to the D750, the 1 series aren't going to set the world on fire but as a lightweight long reach solution to a (very much!) first world problem, they're great.

Ended up with a V1 almost by accident! I was waiting for the 1AW waterproof system to be introduced with the intention of using F mount lenses on it with an FT1 adaptor. Managed to pick up an FT1 cheaply but had nothing to stick it on so picked up a white V1 through the classifieds on here at a very good price. Now keep an 18-200 on the V1 (approx. 50-500 EFL) and the supplied zoom on the 1AW since lens changing on the AW can be a source of water leaks. Compared to the D750, the 1 series aren't going to set the world on fire but as a lightweight long reach solution to a (very much!) first world problem, they're great.

I'll Defenitly have to have a play with the Nikon system sometime, just think it's going to lose some of the appeal with the lens as the Canon M was the same crop factor as my 60D. Going to be a massive difference between a full frame Nikon and the V1.

Oh yes! It's great to have the extra apparent reach on the 1 series but a PITA to have 27mm as the shortest EFL on the same body. FWIW, some 3rd party lenses don't AF on the V1/FT1, that's why I use the Nikkor 18-200 rather than the Tamron 18-270. Barry (Chuckles) has used the relatively new 200-500 Nikkor on his 1 series and that's a tempting proposition, although I've recently bought a 2nd hand P900 which should take care of my limited telephoto wants/needs (2,000mm EFL...)

If anybody's interested, here is the full sized JPG of the above shot. (12MB) The detail on the locks is quite amazing -even if I say so myself.

Back