Nikon VR Lens

J

jelphotoguy

Hey Guys,

My Nikon D60 came with a NON VR 18-55mm lens but I want to know if the lens is the the part that is lacking the VR or is it the body have I bought a slight ly inferior body i.e only works with non vr lenses.

The guy in the shop told me that VR is not really needed on a small lens its onlu the bigger ones that you need it but will I be able to use a VR lens in the future..

Sorry if this seems a daft question.

2. Would you still need VR lens when using a tripod.

On that sort of focal range I wouldnt really worry about VR, would rather have a faster lens than one with VR.

If its on a tripod the camera shouldnt move so VR wont really be needed, specially with a small lens like the 18-55.

but will the camera support a vr lens in the future if I decide to buy one.

VR can be used in ways that a faster lens doesn't help - if, for instance you are deliberately trying to slow the shutter down to portray movement within the frame other than with panning.
VR can also be used to keep your sensor speed low, to maintain optimum quality. If you need depth of field a faster lens won't help you.

D60 lacks an autofocus motor IIRC so you'll need to get lenses with one of those unless you want to do manual focus.

Hey Guys,

My Nikon D60 came with a NON VR 18-55mm lens but I want to know if the lens is the the part that is lacking the VR or is it the body have I bought a slight ly inferior body i.e only works with non vr lenses.

The D60 will work fine with VR lenses - but will only fully work (i.e. auto-focus etc) with the newer AF-S lenses.

More detail

If its on a tripod the camera shouldnt move so VR wont really be needed, specially with a small lens like the 18-55.

I think that most lens manufacturers recommend you turn OFF VR, OS, IS, etc when the camera's on a tripod. It seems to send the stabilisation system wappy...

Also, you shouldnt use VR when using a tripod. As there is no movement when on a tripod, the VR would then start looking for movement

Back