nikon wide prime

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
No
lookin something around 14mm / 17mm prime but i do not want to pay big money for it, i hardly use a super wide so i cannot spend £1200 on the nikon 14-24/ 14 prime. i think tokina do a 17mm 3.5 but stopped making them , is there anything out there ??

d700 body.

cheers.

If it doesn't absolutely have to be a prime, Sigma make a 12-24 zoom that's suitable for full frame and 35mm bodies.

If you don't mind manual foucsing the Voigtlander Color-Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL would be worth a look.

The Sigma 12-24mm can sometimes sell very cheaply on ebay.

Stuart

Yup, Tokina did AF and MF 17mm lenses, and Tamron did an Adaptall-2 MF.

And Yup, the 11-16mm is not for full frame.

Sigma did a 14mm f2.8 and they show up from time to time on Ebay and Amazon. Nikon also still do a 14mm AF but it costs three times as much as the Sigma usually (at least double anyway).

I'm in Spain at present playing around with the Sigma 12-24 on a D700 (when the weather is reasonable!)

cheers folks, had the tokins 11-16mm and its a dx lens . need the af as its for wedding groups that will not fit on my 24-70mm.

may check out the sigma, good zoom range.

is the tokina 17mm af lens any good??

Ken Rockwell talks about the Tokina 17mm here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/17tokina.htm

You don't need to worry about AF: the MF has a distance scale (of course), and ƒ/5.6 set for 2m would put everything from 0.92m to infinity in focus.

Another cheap option is the Tamron ƒ/2.8-4 17-35mm but it's much larger than the Tokina prime (67mm filter), so might get left out of your camera bag.

I use a sigma 17-35 ƒ2.8-4 that I picked up at :CE could not warrant the cost of the Nikon 17-35. Does fine for me.

Regards

Nigel

Back