Nikon Z FC - An Open Thread

Wonder if anyone can help with an issue on my FC. Hired a studio for some still life using flash and using the studios wireless control to fire the flash. However the camera will not permit shutter release with any of the studio triggers. The flash on the camera was set to on using each of the options in turn ie Fill In, Rear Curtain etc. Any help would be most welcome. Thank you.

Wonder if anyone can help with an issue on my FC. Hired a studio for some still life using flash and using the studios wireless control to fire the flash. However the camera will not permit shutter release with any of the studio triggers. The flash on the camera was set to on using each of the options in turn ie Fill In, Rear Curtain etc. Any help would be most welcome. Thank you.
Might be a daft question but you weren't trying to use the electronic shutter were you?

Have the camera set for manual. Silent photography is set to off. D4 set to auto with mechanical shutter blanked out. Many thanks for your reply much appreciated.

Have the camera set for manual. Silent photography is set to off. D4 set to auto with mechanical shutter blanked out. Many thanks for your reply much appreciated.
I’m not sure what D4 is? If you were using the mechanical shutter that’s ruled that out, did you check the triggers worked with other Nikons?

For clarification was it that the shutter wouldn’t release or the camera wouldn’t fire the flash (via trigger)?

I’m not sure what D4 is? If you were using the mechanical shutter that’s ruled that out, did you check the triggers worked with other Nikons?

For clarification was it that the shutter wouldn’t release or the camera wouldn’t fire the flash (via trigger)?
Got it sorted this morning. A guy who had the same issue fettled it and it works fine now. Thank you for all your kind help. So much appreciated

Got it sorted this morning. A guy who had the same issue fettled it and it works fine now. Thank you for all your kind help. So much appreciated
Great stuff. What was the issue in case others have similar problems?

He did a full reset, turned off silent mode and enabled the mechanical shutter. I did try to enable the mech shutter but was unable to do so. Apparently if the camera is in silent mode it disables the flash. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
He did a full reset, turned off silent mode and enabled the mechanical shutter. I did try to enable the mech shutter but was unable to do so. Apparently if the camera is in silent mode it disables the flash. Thank you for your help.
Yeah this is the case for all cameras, except I believe the A1, in that flash does not work with the electronic shutter (silent mode) (y)

It ( the Z FC ) looks a handsome camera and one thing that I do like is the classic gripless styling which suits me for short and medium lenses. Looks a bit like my well used mimimal grip em5, Nikon 1 V1, as well as the A7 ( ok a bit of a grip on that ) I had and my 1980’s contax slrs.

Be interesting to see if they do a classic looking version ( and f2 ) of the upcoming 24mm ZDX. With that, the 12-28 and the excellent current ZDX zooms as well as the FF 28 it is a more than reasonable crop sensor system

Last edited:
It ( the Z FC ) looks a handsome camera and one thing that I do like is the classic gripless styling which suits me for short and medium lenses. Looks a bit like my well used mimimal grip em5, Nikon 1 V1, as well as the A7 ( ok a bit of a grip on that ) I had and my 1980’s contax slrs.

Be interesting to see if they do a classic looking version ( and f2 ) of the upcoming 24mm ZDX. With that, the 12-28 and the excellent current ZDX zooms as well as the FF 28 it is a more than reasonable crop sensor system

I keep harping on about this but the Nikon mirrorless cameras really bring MF lenses back into vogue. I currently own 13 lenses for my Z FC. One (the 16-50) is AF. All the rest are high quality MF lenses. If the 12-28 is reasonably priced I'll no doubt add that one but otherwise the line-up I have now covers everything I might need.

1. Nikon Z FC
  2. Nikon Nikkor Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
  3. Voigtlander Ultron 21mm f/1.8 ASPH
  4. Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 ASPH VIII
  5. Jupiter 50mm f/1.5
  6. Minolta 50mm f/1.2 MD Rokkor
  7. Nippon Kogaku Nikkor S Auto 50mm f/1.4
  8. Pentax Asahi Takumar SMC 50mm f/4 Macro
  9. Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor
  10. Pentax Asahi Takumar SMC 85mm f/1.8
  11. Nikon 105mm f/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor
  12. Carl Zeiss 135mm f/3.5 (4 digit serial number)
  13. Nikon 180mm f/2.8 AIS ED
  14. Nikon 400mm f/.5.6 AIS ED IF
  15. Nikon TC-14B
  16. Nikon TC-201
  17. Nikon TC-301
  18. Nikon PN-11
  19. Nikon PK-13

I’ve had my ZFC for a few weeks now and really like it. OK it’s built to a price and it feels like it in places but the handling and IQ from it are very good.

I got the 28mm lens with mine and also use it with the 40mm or alternately with the 14-30 which works very well with it. I’m tempted to pick up the 16-50 for it as a) it’s cheap and b) it offers VR.

I’m finding myself reaching for it a little bit more than my Z6 at the moment.

But don’t kid yourself - it’s not a ‘replacement for anything such as a Df. It’s the equivalent of a Z Fun Casual camera - exactly how Nikon are marketing it.
I’m confused,on may the 14th the pig shot was with 16-50 but here you say you are tempted by the 16-50,may 18th what gives? Lol

Last edited:
My son has a Nikon d90 with an 18-105 lens which is quite a nice combination as a first dslr, he really likes the look of the ZFC. As I’d be buying it as (probably) a Christmas present I’m looking for opinions on wether it’s a good enough upgrade over the d90? I’m a Canon guy that hasn’t done much photography for a while and a bit out of touch...... help!

My son has a Nikon d90 with an 18-105 lens which is quite a nice combination as a first dslr, he really likes the look of the ZFC. As I’d be buying it as (probably) a Christmas present I’m looking for opinions on wether it’s a good enough upgrade over the d90? I’m a Canon guy that hasn’t done much photography for a while and a bit out of touch...... help!
The Z fc will be a big step forward in every department, the only area I can see it being an issue is ergonomics/lack of grip. Also his current 18-105mm lens would need an adapter to work on the Z fc.

The Z fc will be a big step forward in every department, the only area I can see it being an issue is ergonomics/lack of grip. Also his current 18-105mm lens would need an adapter to work on the Z fc.
Thanks, I was looking at the kit with the 16-50 and 50-250 lenses which would pretty much cover all options in one go without needing adapters. Maybe worth paying a dealer a visit so he can have a hold of one to see how it feels.

Thanks, I was looking at the kit with the 16-50 and 50-250 lenses which would pretty much cover all options in one go without needing adapters. Maybe worth paying a dealer a visit so he can have a hold of one to see how it feels.
You can of course buy grips for it, such as the small rig and Nikon's own.

Well if you buy a Z50 (essentially the same camera) you don’t need a grip. Just saying…

So, I bit the bullet and bought the ZFC 16-50 / 50-250 kit for my son, it is almost Christmas...... He’s currently charging it and reading the instructions to see what’s different over his d90. Looking at accessories the small rig grip seems to be a good choice and a third the price of Nikon‘s option but I’m looking at remotes for him. On his d90 he had a wired timer / remote, is there something similar or can anybody recommend a timer/remote that won’t upset the bank balance more than it already is today I’m a Canon user so no idea with a Nikon kit. Thanks

From Thom Hogan's site

The Z30, Z50, and Zfc don't have a dedicated remote connection. Nikon has made a special Bluetooth type remote control for the Z30, Z50, and Zfc:

• ML-L7 wireless remote — A remote with additional programmable functions and controls. The Coolpix P1000 can also use this remote.
  • AODELAN ML-L7A Wireless shutter — a third-party clone of the Nikon ML-L7 remote.
  • JJC BTR-N1 Wireless Remote Control — another third-party clone of the Nikon ML-L7, though in a different style. They also make a TP-N1 Shooting Grip (selfie stick) that comes with the wireless remote.
  • SmallRig Tripod Grip for ML-L7 — not actually a remote, but a place to put your remote in a small handgrip/tripod combination that works for selfie/video type work.

From Thom Hogan's site

The Z30, Z50, and Zfc don't have a dedicated remote connection. Nikon has made a special Bluetooth type remote control for the Z30, Z50, and Zfc:

• ML-L7 wireless remote — A remote with additional programmable functions and controls. The Coolpix P1000 can also use this remote.
  • AODELAN ML-L7A Wireless shutter — a third-party clone of the Nikon ML-L7 remote.
  • JJC BTR-N1 Wireless Remote Control — another third-party clone of the Nikon ML-L7, though in a different style. They also make a TP-N1 Shooting Grip (selfie stick) that comes with the wireless remote.
  • SmallRig Tripod Grip for ML-L7 — not actually a remote, but a place to put your remote in a small handgrip/tripod combination that works for selfie/video type work.
Thank you

Probably a stupid question, apologies in advance.... can you Manual focus on the kit lenses? There’s no switch on the lens so I’m hoping there’s a setting somewhere In camera as my son wants to do some light trail images but can’t see how to set as manual focus. Please don’t tell me I need to buy him a specific manual focus lens

Probably a stupid question, apologies in advance.... can you Manual focus on the kit lenses? There’s no switch on the lens so I’m hoping there’s a setting somewhere In camera as my son wants to do some light trail images but can’t see how to set as manual focus. Please don’t tell me I need to buy him a specific manual focus lens
Yes you can set the control ring to be a manual focus ring.

If he presses the i button on the back of the camera it brings up a series of “boxes” for most used instructions.
Then press the focus modes box and manual focus is one of the options. As Pete says, control ring is then the manual focus ring.
Quick and easy.

All this will be in the manual.

Back