Nikon Z* mirrorless

Very interested to hear people's impressions of the AF improvements and whether these get AF-C performance anywhere near the DSLR equivalents, particularly for tracking/wildlife use
I have no personal experience but there were several wildlife/sports photographers who after buying the original firmware Z6/Z7, and felt the need to hang onto their D850/D500 for sports and wildlife changed their mind after the "last" firmware upgrade.

This also seemed to involve them learning that setting up the Zs for birds, required a different approach to the way they had their DSLRs set up.

Even in v2.20 the AF-C performance is still inconsistent often. Looking forward to seeing if v3.00 sorts that out.

Sounds like a great update! I'll be upgrading int he next couple days.

Well has no one tested the new FW yet

Looking forward to reviews after newer firmware. I’m thinking of buying the z6 to pair with my existing f mount 24-70 and 14-24.

Now I’ve only had a few minutes in the livingroom trying to take photos of my hyper daughter. But, the enabling and cancelling af tracking via a fn button works brilliantly.

Eye-af seems to be a little more accurate so far.

So I've picked the Z7 up for the first time in ages and have been trying a few new things out, which has brought up some questions. When using manual focus is there a setting so that it automatically zooms in for easier focus when you turn the zoom ring rather than having to press the focus zoom button? Can you change the 'sensitivity' of the zoom ring? On the 50mm f1.8S you have to turn the ring several times to go from min focus to infinity, which is a bit of a pain.

Lastly, are there no 'art filters' such as diorama/miniature mode?

Is the focus ring not speed-dependent? It rings a bell, but I cannot get at mine just now.

I've reconfigured the ring as exposure compensation these days and that certainly isn't speed dependent and it would be nice to be able to change the sensitivity.

I think it's a no to all those questions mate.

That's a bit of a shocker if the zoom in when manual focusing function isn't selectable as it is on my Sony and Panasonic cameras. I'd be surprised if it isn't in there somewhere? Isn't it?

That's a bit of a shocker if the zoom in when manual focusing function isn't selectable as it is on my Sony and Panasonic cameras. I'd be surprised if it isn't in there somewhere? Isn't it?

You can definitely zoom in for manual focus, but it's not automatic as far as I remember.

I've reconfigured the ring as exposure compensation these days and that certainly isn't speed dependent and it would be nice to be able to change the sensitivity.
I’ve just had the nurse (wifey) bring down my Z6 and 50mm, and indeed the faster you turn the focus ring the shorter the throw and vice-versa.

Is the focus ring not speed-dependant? It rings a bell, but I cannot get at mine just now.
I’ve just had the nurse (wifey) bring down my Z6 and 50mm, and indeed the faster you turn the focus ring the shorter the throw and vice-versa.
It is, but even if you turn it quickly it still takes a few turns/twists of the wrist to go from min focus to infinity. It would be nice if you could do one quick twist and it would go from one extreme to the other.

It is, but even if you turn it quickly it still takes a few turns/twists of the wrist to go from min focus to infinity. It would be nice if you could do one quick twist and it would go from one extreme to the other.

Yeah for use as exposure compensation it'd be nice to go the other way and make less sensitive. Its easy enough to do this in SW, but I don't think it will be high enough on the priority list to actually get implemented anytime soon.

Don’t know how quick your wrist is, but a swift flick from mine goes from minimum to maximum in a quarter turn. ;)

Don’t know how quick your wrist is, but a swift flick from mine goes from minimum to maximum in a quarter turn. ;)
On which lens? My 50mm f1.8s doesn't do that, even if I properly rag it ;)

Yeah for use as exposure compensation it'd be nice to go the other way and make less sensitive. Its easy enough to do this in SW, but I don't think it will be high enough on the priority list to actually get implemented anytime soon.
Yes, I don’t use that function because it’s far too easy to knock the aperture. I guess it’s one of the quirks of the system. It would be nice if you could use the ring as a clutch to go from being a focus function to an aperture function.

Can anyone recommend me a reasonably priced XQD card reader? The one I got at Christmas failed after one use... Normally I wouldn't use one but do need to do the firmware update.

Can anyone recommend me a reasonably priced XQD card reader? The one I got at Christmas failed after one use... Normally I wouldn't use one but do need to do the firmware update.
I know there’s an iffy one on Amazon, but personally I stick to the genuine Sony one for full compatibility. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I know there’s an iffy one on Amazon, but personally I stick to the genuine Sony one for full compatibility. Buy cheap, buy twice.
Very true. Thankfully Amazon gave me a refund for said dodgy one.... Lexar do one for £35, that's just about OK in my head. Incredible how expensive a XQD card reader is!

Very true. Thankfully Amazon gave me a refund for said dodgy one.... Lexar do one for £35, that's just about OK in my head. Incredible how expensive a XQD card reader is!

I have the Lexar one. All good.

I have a Sony one that I’ll be sticking in the classifieds shortly.

Sony reader for me too, although I must admit I bought it ages ago for the D500 and I think it's gone up since then.

Like Snerkler, I got the Sony one when I had my D500. The model of mine is QDA-SB1 and works great.

Obviously if you are planning on shooting with CFExpress cards in the future (which the Z's now support), you may want to think of getting a reader that supports both cards ?

I have the simple Lexar one. Works fine.
Bought quite a while ago when I got the D500.
I only have Lexar cards.

Back