Nikon Z* mirrorless

Has anyone else having issues with there autofocus on the z6?

There is a slim possibility it is down to technique but mine doesnt seem to ever get a pin sharp image.
Mirror less should give you pin sharp images, what AF mode, subject and lenses are you using? Can you post examples?

I have been using single point mainly with the kit lens. 20200413_173836.jpg

I have now gone to afc with face tracking with the 50mm f1.8 below. They are jpeg from snap bridge may i add.Z6S_4608.JPG

Last edited:
This is with the kit lens on afc which seems sharp. Close subjects seem to work well, when I'm a distance from the subject that's when I find it / or me struggles.Z6S_4330.JPG

This is with the kit lens on afc which seems sharp. Close subjects seem to work well, when I'm a distance from the subject that's when I find it / or me struggles.View attachment 291667

Are you able to upload these in RAW for a closer look?

hope fully the link has worked?

Ive added 14 files which is a good selection of hand held static subjects.

Which aren't you happy with as they all look OK to me at initial glance (not opened up in LR, just opened in preview)

Which aren't you happy with as they all look OK to me at initial glance (not opened up in LR, just opened in preview)

The above are probably the better ones to be fair. They are acceptably sharp. Just not pinpoint sharp when zoomed in.

The above are probably the better ones to be fair. They are acceptably sharp. Just not pinpoint sharp when zoomed in.
So I've no imported into LR and TBH they pretty much all look very sharp to me. The only ones that don't are the one you posted above of your dog, but it looks like movement to me which is not surprising at 1/40. The berries one can appear soft at first glance but if you look at where I believe the focus point is then it's sharp, the berries that aren't are outside your depth of focus. Then there's something weird 4431 though, the rocks on the water line in the background directly above the dog look softer than everything else, although the whole hillside is a little soft which just looks like a depth of field thing. Thos rocks I mentioned do look softer than they should be though, do you use electronic/silent shutter?

Thanks for taking a look at them, no I dont use silent shutter. The picture that should be sharp is the wife on the bench with the dog. This was taken with the 50mm f1.8 with afc tracking. I like to shoot wide then crop off what I dont want. Plus a little under exposed more than often so I can lift the shadows etc. When zoomed in, it just doesnt seem on point to me.

Thanks for taking a look at them, no I dont use silent shutter. The picture that should be sharp is the wife on the bench with the dog. This was taken with the 50mm f1.8 with afc tracking. I like to shoot wide then crop off what I dont want. Plus a little under exposed more than often so I can lift the shadows etc. When zoomed in, it just doesnt seem on point to me.
I'd say it's focussed mid way between your wife and your dog tbh, there's an area on your wife's top that looks to be the focal point. TBH it's only really that noticeable if I zoom to 2:1 in LR, at 1:1 it still looks 'acceptable'

Last edited:
It is possible its more down to technique as I'm not a seasoned photographer. But I do find I'm more disappointed with the end result and tend not to use them. I contacted panamoz on friday and they have agreed for me to send the camera for service to get it checked out. Hopefully this will highlight any issues with the hardware, or my technique.....

I have now gone to afc with face tracking with the 50mm f1.8 below. They are jpeg from snap bridge may i add.View attachment 291666
That looks way softer than the raws you've uploaded. Have you set some weird jpeg setting in camera?

No I dont think so, i only shoot raw. But it could be the snap bridge auoto download to my phone that is making it soft?

No I dont think so, i only shoot raw. But it could be the snap bridge auoto download to my phone that is making it soft?
If you’re shooting raw or not maybe it’s just transferring the jpeg preview/sidecar?

Is that crop I posted sharp enough for you?

Yes, the crop you have posted is acceptably sharp. The wife looks a little soft to me, or am expecting to much from the focal distance?

Yes, the crop you have posted is acceptably sharp. The wife looks a little soft to me, or am expecting to much from the focal distance?
Images are never as sharp posted in here from Flickr so maybe process the raw yourself and have a look (y) I think focus is a gnats off but would still be a perfectly usable image for me, no worse than the tolerance of DSLR. You’re never going to be able to see each individual eyelash when the subject is that small in the frame ;)

Thanks Snerkler, I will do just that.

What focus mode would you suggest I try? I know it's a impossible question to ask as every subject/environment is different,

Thanks Snerkler, I will do just that.

What focus mode would you suggest I try? I know it's a impossible question to ask as every subject/environment is different,
I used AF-S for static subjects and AF-C for moving ones with the Z7. I used single point 99% of the time. If you use BBF then you can get away with AF-C for everything, although I did find AF-S more consistent.

have you enabled efcs?.

Last edited:

Looks like - in the most part these are acceptably sharp. The ones that look a bit soft are down to such a slow shutter speed being used. Don't be afraid to use higher shutter speeds to eradicate the mushiness you get from slight motion blur - don't worry about the ISO too much particularly when shooting outside. I always aim for 1/250 at least for people but that's just habit from using my D750 which doesn't have in body stabilisation. I only go slower in very challenging light conditions.

Looks like - in the most part these are acceptably sharp. The ones that look a bit soft are down to such a slow shutter speed being used. Don't be afraid to use higher shutter speeds to eradicate the mushiness you get from slight motion blur - don't worry about the ISO too much particularly when shooting outside. I always aim for 1/250 at least for people but that's just habit from using my D750 which doesn't have in body stabilisation. I only go slower in very challenging light conditions.
Thank you, I will bare that in mind.

It is recommended with these Z’s. Dig into the menu and you will find it (my camera is not to hand at the moment so I can‘t tell you where to look)

I'll have a look later today. Thank you.

Although my 300mm is not as sharp as my 50mm z, I still love the way it renders backgrounds!! Do you think I've gone too far with the blur of the background in this one? Hoping to achieve similar results with the 85mm z when I get it as 300mm is difficult to work with for this sort of thing due to the distance from the model

ZSC_4348 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Although my 300mm is not as sharp as my 50mm z, I still love the way it renders backgrounds!! Do you think I've gone too far with the blur of the background in this one? Hoping to achieve similar results with the 85mm z when I get it as 300mm is difficult to work with for this sort of thing due to the distance from the model

works for me. This really pops. Great work.

looks perfect to me. Excellent shot.

Nice shot, I dont think the randoms in the background couldve added anything.

In case anyone’s been waiting patiently (like me), the 24-200 is finally in stock at e-infinity:

I like the slightly superimposed look so it works for me. I don't think the background needs to be any clearer.

what software are you using to check your shutter counts ie mechanical and electronic ?

what software are you using to check your shutter counts ie mechanical and electronic ?
I use Mac Preview info window, however it doesn’t specify mechanical or electronic. I’m not sure you can see each tbh.

Back