Nikon Z* mirrorless

I really wanted the 100-400 but I can't afford that price for now. Does anyone know if Tamron or sigma have anything similar due for release? I feel like going back to a D750 just for the cheaper lenses...

I really wanted the 100-400 but I can't afford that price for now. Does anyone know if Tamron or sigma have anything similar due for release? I feel like going back to a D750 just for the cheaper lenses...
Sigma and Tamron do one

Firmware updates just announced for Nikon Z50, Z5, Z6, Z7 cameras, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 lens

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/09/...emote-controller-released.aspx/#ixzz7BnlnMS1b

Looks good. If anyone updates please be kind enough to report whether the eye af has been improved. Appreciate it.

Thanks Jason. Was hoping for some drill down from Z9

Maybe with all the excitement and improved public image that the Z9 has given Nikon, 3rd party manufacturers might look again at the possibility of producing for that mount.
If Viltrox can reverse engineer the mount and focusing system, Sigma and Tamron certainly can.

Maybe with all the excitement and improved public image that the Z9 has given Nikon, 3rd party manufacturers might look again at the possibility of producing for that mount.
If Viltrox can reverse engineer the mount and focusing system, Sigma and Tamron certainly can.
Sigma and Tamron have both said they won't reverse engineer the mounts for Nikon Z, both are in talks with Nikon to work from the blueprints, hopefully we'll see something from both of them sooner rather than later.

They seem so slow to do so for the Z range, unlike with Sony
Sigma, and i assume tamron, produce sony fit under license and have the specs. They have no arrangement with nikon but hope to. In the medium term i dont see sigma or tamron reverse engineering for z mount as there’s new firmware coming out regularly which might mess up your reverse engineering and damage your brand reputation as you’ve built it from cheaper with qc issues to cheaper and often leading edge glass. Imagine all your prime sigma art glass in reverse engineered z mount becoming paperweights.

Perhaps take this with a pinch of salt, but over at DPreview, one guy posted that he has a family member working at Nikon USA, and whilst they aren't allowed to give away much information (even to family), he did say that "apparently" according to what he's been told, certain people at Sigma have been seriously under fire for failing to stay on top of the Nikon's Z mount and the Z9 has escalated those internal condemnations to the point of possible firings.

Like I say, take perhaps with a pinch of salt as how would a Nikon employee know what Sigma is doing internally, but if true, could spell even better things for the Nikon Z system if Sigma does join the party and have native Z mount versions of some of their lenses.

Updated the Z6 this morning and all looks good. To be honest, there's not much there for me - I didn't even know about eye AF until I went looking for it the other day :ROFLMAO:

I'd have liked to see an extension of the long exposure time available but can't have it all I guess.

I've been super pleased with the Z6 to date, looking forward to seeing more about the 24-120 as I think that's the perfect lens for my needs.

Me too, I'm seriously thinking of picking up the 24-120 when it's available in place of my 24-200 (which is still a great lens).

Me too, I'm seriously thinking of picking up the 24-120 when it's available in place of my 24-200 (which is still a great lens).
I've seen Nikonricci on IG has been using one recently, I'm surprised he hasn't put more out about it to date.

I've seen Nikonricci on IG has been using one recently, I'm surprised he hasn't put more out about it to date.
I think there will be a schedule they all work to on when to release each set of video's/stories to coincide with supply and timing issues etc

So no MB-N11 battery grips anywhere, no 105 macro lens anywhere. So glad I’ve gone completely mirrorless Good things come to those who wait…………..

Thanks Jason. Was hoping for some drill down from Z9
surely the processor is too old with the original Z generation to be expect dramatic improvements. Still, I'll download it now and see if I can find any significant difference

UPDATE I notice a big improvement with EyeAF. So far, strongly recommended update.

Last edited:
surely the processor is too old with the original Z generation to be expect dramatic improvements. Still, I'll download it now and see if I can find any significant difference
I expect you’re correct. Perhaps the Z6ii Z7ii will be updated. Don’t they have more processing power.

the Z6ii has an Dual Expeed 6 processor instead of Single which should give the ii an advantage. Perhaps that means the jump in performance I've just observed with the Z6 after the firmware update will as a result be less marked if the ii gets similar treatment -- I've no idea. But I think the days when Sony could demonstrate a clear advantage in this area are probably numbered. For tracking we may well require Z9 trickle down --- we'll see.

AFAIK, there have been no significant changes in the overall design of the Z's phase detection AF system... so it should all be firmware (algorithms) and processing speed. I know they are describing the AF of the Z9 as "hybrid phase/contrast;" but that is true of all mirrorless cameras that have phase detection.

One from yesterday.
This is a Saitis barbips sub adult male.
Z6ii, 18 & 11mm ext tubes, Sigma 105 macro lens and a Raynox DCR250 topped with a home made diffuser for the flash.

Saitis barbips 3 by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Thanks you

Had a touch of GAS, and noticed that Harrison Cameras had the Nikon 500mm F5.6 PF for less then £2900 (£2,899 to be exact), brand new, the cheapest I've ever seen it and cheaper than grey and even cheaper than secondhand ones from MPB and WEX ! I had been resisting this lens for over 2 years now, but couldn't hold off at this price.

My new toy, sat on my Z7 II with MB-N11 Grip - my new wildlife set up

Last edited:
Had a touch of GAS, and noticed that Harrison Cameras had the Nikon 500mm F5.6 PF for less then £2900 (£2,899 to be exact), brand new, the cheapest I've ever seen it and cheaper than grey and even cheaper than secondhand ones from MPB and WEX !

Jealous!!

Had a touch of GAS, and noticed that Harrison Cameras had the Nikon 500mm F5.6 PF for less then £2900 (£2,899 to be exact), brand new, the cheapest I've ever seen it and cheaper than grey and even cheaper than secondhand ones from MPB and WEX !

Lucky you I got one from wex about 6 weeks ago paid £3249 was trying to get one for about 6 months wex was the first to get it in stock been out a couple of times enjoying using it with my z6 and d850 should be really good on the z7 11

I have the exact same combo, you will love it !

Not the greatest of shots, as the weather was dark and overcast, but heard this little fella chirping and hopping around deep in the branches of a tree. Quite difficult to get any shots as he never stayed still for more than a second at time, but manged to rattle a few off.

However, anyone know what species this bird is please - it was tiny, about the size of a wren ? Has a little tuft of red feathers on the back of his head (and you can just see on the second photo)

Last edited:
Not the greatest of shots, as the weather was dark and overcast, but heard this little fella chirping and hopping around deep in the branches of a tree. Quite difficult to get any shots as he never stayed still for more than a second at time, but manged to rattle a few off.

However, anyone know what species this bird is please - it was tiny, about the size of a wren ? Has a little tuft of red feathers on the back of his head (and you can just see on the second photo)

Looks like a Gold crest to me, Lovely shots.

Another nice lens being released 28mm 2.8 pancake style at £249 !

Any idea what the difference is with the SE version and the regular? The spec sheets look identical on Nikon home page.

Any idea what the difference is with the SE version and the regular? The spec sheets look identical on Nikon home page.

Nikon has officially released the Nikkor Z 28mm F2.8 – the non 'SE' version of a lens that we've been fans of for a while. Literally the only differences between this version and the previously released 'SE' are cosmetic. The new lens is housed in a more subdued, modern-styled matte black plastic barrel, in contrast to the retro-styled 'SE'.

Back