Nikon Z* mirrorless

There's a thread on Luminous Landscape by someone who has a 58mm f0.95 :D

I wouldn't normally comment on pictures too negatively but as that guy is extremely unlikely to read my views or care I will :D I find this technically good still life stuff mind numbingly boring. I can see why someone would use top end gear to produce pictures like that plant pot shot, and actually the very limited depth flower shots too, as a technical challenge but the plant pot shot is just not a picture I'd want to look at for a single second.

I can see the appeal of using top end gear and the challenge of getting the final result but if that's the final result I just wonder... why bother. But that's just me and good luck to him and anyone else producing technically good pictures of what I see as utterly boring subjects.

Anyway. Enjoy the thread. :D

I'd rather look at Rookies pictures above. The first one especially is IMO much more interesting than any shot in that LL thread.
Don't suppose you feel like taking screen shots to share? (y)

Have you signed up?

As far as I know you can join the forum for nowt.

I keep meaning to delete all links to that site as sadly since the main man died there's been very little worth reading there and more recently nothing. I only look on there when I'm very bored.

Going to order my z6 probably tomorrow, can people advise best place for a XQD card and also a card reader for laptop and iPad Pro.

Thanks

Going to order my z6 probably tomorrow, can people advise best place for a XQD card and also a card reader for laptop and iPad Pro.

Thanks

I bought my 64gb xqd card with the camera from Panamoz, aswell as a spare battery too.

The card reader I purchased off ebay, If i remember correctly it was £35 for a genuine reader which came with a usb extension cable.

Thanks for posting the link. I bought a similar looking one at a similar price from Amazon, and it's having to go back. The connection to my computer is really unstable, making it a real chore to transfer files. I'll maybe have a look at replacing it with the one you've linked to there (y)

Cheers,

Simon.

No problem

I’ve had it connected to my MacBook Pro and iMac without any issues

Have you signed up?

As far as I know you can join the forum for nowt.

I keep meaning to delete all links to that site as sadly since the main man died there's been very little worth reading there and more recently nothing. I only look on there when I'm very bored.
No, I just assumed from some posts above you had to subscribe.

Has there been a problem with forum today

First quarter of 2020 is the latest we know.
Bugger. I was hopeful that is was out this year, I need a fast telephoto lens of some sort for my astophograpy interests, or buy a refracting telescope and try I figure out how to marry the native z mount to a field flattener on a scope.

Bugger. I was hopeful that is was out this year, I need a fast telephoto lens of some sort for my astophograpy interests, or buy a refracting telescope and try I figure out how to marry the native z mount to a field flattener on a scope.
It was supposed to be out now but has been pushed back for some reason :(

i've got a spare FTZ adapter if anyone needs one. Brand new, unused. It came with my Z50 kit. I already have one so don't need 2.
If anyone is interested I will put it up in the for sale section. Will be 150 inc 1st class parcel post.

No need to worry and it shouldn't have come as a shock, Nikon have been going downhill for the past 5-8 years from a financial point of view :(

But bring out a z50 etc. Hmm wonder why lens line up delayed now. Don’t tell me to sell up and back lol

But bring out a z50 etc. Hmm wonder why lens line up delayed now. Don’t tell me to sell up and back lol
Z50 is a bit of a odd-ball...... lenses take time, research and development.... and investment so delays can always happen.
No point selling up, if the camera works for you then that's all that matters. :D

I read somewhere a while ago that no company has the capacity to do more than 2 or 3 lenses a year, or was it 3 or 4 lenses a year. Whatever. If that's true it's not many and would explain why system don't launch with 30 lenses.

They could farm the design and manufacture out if they wanted to so if Nikon do 2 and Tokina do 2 and Sigma do 2 and Cosina do some... it'll soon add up. For whatever reason it doesn't happen if only because people want to wait to see how sales go.

The Z cams just haven’t worked out how Nikon would have hoped. When you do bring out a product that is isn’t as good as the competition and enter it into a mature market then of course your going to have problems. AMD have been doing this for years with their graphics cards and it’s hurt them.
On the plus side there are rumours of a D750 successor!

From the Sony thread

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/12/ni...eed-to-justify-their-existence-as-a-business/

Makes for grim reading, fingers crossed they can re-structure and start making a profit. I don't even care if they go more niche (but not more expensive), as long as they don't go under altogether.

Nikons been making headlines and going down the pan for years. :rolleyes:

Sony was going down the pan with A mount, guess what, they shifted focus and brought out mirrorless and turned the ship around, but it took time. Canikon have been stubborn and waited to adopt Sonys hard work... especially Nikon who buy from Sony. They wanted to wait and see if it was profitable and they have fallen behind as a result, lenses take a long time to develop and manufacture and that's why they created their adapters (Canon seem more successful than Nikon in this case). Sony did the same thing, lenses were an issue initially (I speak as a launch adopter from NEX through alpha E mount) but they were smart enough to make various mount adapters incl. A mount and open their AF protocols up to 3rd parties in preparation but lenses took years. Now there's loads of 1st party and 3rd party lenses to chose from. Im certainly not saying Sony did everything right, they did a lot wrong and made some bizarre decisions and dropped A mount users, even though they said they would continue support.

@rookies What are you worried about? You have your Z6, you said its the best you've had and will own it for years to come, the lenses you want you can mostly buy now. If it somehow is the end of the road for Nikon in 5 years time you would've sold up before that or gotten a lot of use out of your camera.

Last edited:
No need to worry and it shouldn't have come as a shock, Nikon have been going downhill for the past 5-8 years from a financial point of view :(

They have made announcements about having to restructure (pay of staff) at least 5 times in the last 5 years.

The photography division is definitely in trouble.

As a company it won’t be a big issue for them if they pull out of photographic, the rest of their business is very profitable. It’s just a matter of how long they continue to allow the rest of their business to prop up their photography division.

They have made announcements about having to restructure (pay of staff) at least 5 times in the last 5 years.

The photography division is definitely in trouble.

As a company it won’t be a big issue for them if they pull out of photographic, the rest of their business is very profitable. It’s just a matter of how long they continue to allow the rest of their business to prop up their photography division.
I believe Olympus have been doing this for some years haven't they?

Well today I very nearly pulled the trigger on a 24-70 2.8 but going see what Black Friday brings

Well today I very nearly pulled the trigger on a 24-70 2.8 but going see what Black Friday brings
I’d fall out with you if you bought one of those ;)

Back