Nikon Z* mirrorless

TBH with cameras I'm not sure that is quite as true. Older models tend to hold better value and new models come down a while after release. The cost of a Z6ii will come down with rebates etc at some point next year.

I'm beginning to see some improvements in AF now. With the live preview on, something I had permanently off on the Z6, I'm getting much faster lock on to subjects. My daughter noticed a woodpecker appear in the garden this morning, so I quickly threw on the 70-200s and even from a pretty long distance, through dirty double glazed doors the AF locked onto it no problem and stayed locked. Actually pretty impressed.

How good is the weather sealing on the 6 along with the FTZ adaptor? Need to get out and take some pictures but the weather is just pants lately and I don’t want risk it if the kit is not so well sealed.

How good is the weather sealing on the 6 along with the FTZ adaptor? Need to get out and take some pictures but the weather is just pants lately and I don’t want risk it if the kit is not so well sealed.

Roger Circala from lens rentals from the Z7 teardown.

Conclusion:
This is not marketing department weather resistance. This is engineering department weather resistance. Anything that can be sealed has been sealed. I’m impressed, and I will say for future cut-and-paste blurbs: this is as robustly weather sealed a camera as we’ve ever disassembled.

I don’t believe in weather resistance myself. I believe like life; water will find a way. I believe in plastic baggies and rubber bands. I am, however, a great believer in the idea that if you claim to do something, then damn well do it right. This is done right.

I’m impressed by the very solid construction of the chassis and IBIS unit. I’m impressed with the neat, modern engineering of the electrical connections. Yes, I’m aware that soldered wires carry electricity just fine, but to me, there’s something reassuring about seeing neat, well thought out, 2018 level engineering.

I’m not here to tell you which camera is best to use or has the best performance. I’m just here to say this is a damn well-built camera, the best built mirrorless full-frame camera we’ve taken apart

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry about the weather sealing. It’s one of Nikon’s strengths and always has been. I know people that have taken the Z6 with an adapted 70-200 in pouring rain and had no issues.

I sent my Z6 and 70-200vrii off to Grays of Westminster yesterday and got the call today with the value on the retrospective trade in against my Z6ii. The Z6 was worth more than I thought and I got more than WEX were offering a few weeks ago. Very happy with that. Now just need to save for that 14-24 :)

Mines off to Wex tomorrow so I can upgrade. Surprised it hasn’t sold at £1000. Seen Wex is offering cash so I’ll just take that.

Last edited:
Mine didn’t sell at 1000 so I traded it in and ended up better off anyway.

Typical I was looking for one at a time most owners seemed happy to trade them in so I did end up buying one elsewhere with a FTZ adaptor for £1150 as otherwise I’d have had yours. Hope you enjoy the Z 6II too.

Typical I was looking for one at a time most owners seemed happy to trade them in so I did end up buying one elsewhere with a FTZ adaptor for £1150 as otherwise I’d have had yours. Hope you enjoy the Z 6II too.

With the £180 trade in bonus I got £1080 for mine as trade in so I ended up better off than if I'd sold it for the asking price.

I haven't used the Z6ii thatch yet, what with work, kids, puppy, lockdown, and the crappy weather I've not been out at all.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Well, @gilbouk, you've sold me on the 85 1.8!

I've actually got a friends wedding (well, very small intimate get together!) in December and I've been elected to photograph it. So I am looking to trade the 50mm in against one (or a 35, as I'll need one of those as well at a guess!)

Well, @gilbouk, you've sold me on the 85 1.8!

I've actually got a friends wedding (well, very small intimate get together!) in December and I've been elected to photograph it. So I am looking to trade the 50mm in against one (or a 35, as I'll need one of those as well at a guess!)

I do love the 50mm for a walk about lens during a Wedding. I have the 35mm g which comes out in tight situations and for large group photos. I also used to have the 20mm g which unfortunately has been sold due to having to buy a new / old car, but I do intend to get a 20mm z and 35mm z eventually, and a Z6II to complete my collection.

Last edited:
Just joined the MK II club, when my new Z6 II arrived today.

Just joined the MK II club, when my new Z6 II arrived today.

Do tell.....how does it differ compared to the Z6? If you can test AF-C in Extended FPS mode, I'd be grateful :)

Don’t think I’ll be joining the II club now, Wex messed me about with my trade, after issues with printing their labels and website. Asked them for a new quote on 03/11 and to add a Speedlight. After more issues and emails getting errors trying to get the labels I called on 11/11 asking if quote was still valid which they said yes. They received it on Monday and after inspection the quote had apparently expired, and they dropped the price by £100.

So my Z6 is back up for sale in the classifieds and eBay, if it doesn’t sell then I’m not bothered now. Took all the fun out of it with the hassle.

Last edited:
That happened me too. I had a quote and labels but before I posted, I contacted them again to make sure it was fine to post as it was 15 days since original quote. They said don't post as quote was no longer valid.
To be honest it's saved me spending money that I could do something better with. I'm no longer in a rush to upgrade as the price for my Z6 is simply not worth selling. I'll save for either the mkIII or the Z9 :)

That happened me too. I had a quote and labels but before I posted, I contacted them again to make sure it was fine to post as it was 15 days since original quote. They said don't post as quote was no longer valid.
To be honest it's saved me spending money that I could do something better with. I'm no longer in a rush to upgrade as the price for my Z6 is simply not worth selling. I'll save for either the mkIII or the Z9 :)

Yeah, I don’t feel it’s worth the the upgrade cost for USB power and the extended shutter speeds. They said the price has dropped in the last week, wonder if that’s reflected in their sale prices. Not worth letting go for £820 trade in. Maybe it’s better to see how Nikon handles firmware for the 1st gen. I would like to see the icon free display mode, and the less intrusive level added or are they now abandoned other than bug fixes. Considering they said they would be updated by firmware by listening to customer feedback, but all the features requested have ended up in the II bodies, not as they initially said.

Well.... it’s gets even better. I sent my Z6 off to WEX in the External kit box with the white box inside. This was all then packed inside another box.

They’ve returned it to me just the white box on its own. So I no longer have the black kit box I sent if I were to sell. Awful company to deal with. I’m sure if I didn’t send the box with my quote they’d be knocking £50 or something off it.

Last edited:
This is why I got in really fast with the trade in. I got way more than WEX were offering and as people upgraded the retailers will be flooded with used models which drives the price down for trade in.

Yeah, I don’t feel it’s worth the the upgrade cost for USB power and the extended shutter speeds. They said the price has dropped in the last week, wonder if that’s reflected in their sale prices. Not worth letting go for £820 trade in. Maybe it’s better to see how Nikon handles firmware for the 1st gen. I would like to see the icon free display mode, and the less intrusive level added or are they now abandoned other than bug fixes. Considering they said they would be updated by firmware by listening to customer feedback, but all the features requested have ended up in the II bodies, not as they initially said.
I personally think that's the end of the Z6/Z7 firmware updates.
There's plenty they could implement from the Z6II into the original that wouldn't need dual processors. But, they'll not bring them as sales of MkII would be hit and I think they might struggle to get large sales numbers with the MkII's already.
Many simply won't upgrade (even though I was going too) and anyone now thinking of moving from f-mount could get a dirt cheap MkI Z6 to try it out.
All the videos I've watched, there's little noticeable improvement on the AF, This could improve greatly with further firmware updates like the original ones did though.

I'm only really waiting on the Z-mount 105mm Macro, So I'll not be spending money with Nikon for some time.

Well.... it’s gets even better. I sent my Z6 off to WEX in the External kit box with the white box inside. This was all then packed inside another box.

They’ve returned it to me just the white box on its own. So I no longer have the black kit box I sent if I were to sell. Awful company to deal with. I’m sure if I didn’t send the box with my quote they’d be knocking £50 or something off it.

Have you contacted them ? What’s their response ?

I had similar with my Nikon kit I sent off. My 18-200 VR was mint but when they examined they told me it was a US Import and had a loose front element. I argued but eventually told them to send it back to me. I didn't have the receipt for this lens but I bought it from WEX.... When it came back the element was loose and the retaining ring was marked where it had been "adjusted" but was not like that when I sent it.

As the lens was coming back I told them to send my D200 back so at least I had a useable system, I left my other lenses with them. When it all arrived my 2 x 1GB CF cards were missing. These were also bought from WEX and as I'd included my original receipt I put them in the box too as they were detailed but I didn't include them as part of the quote. When I questioned it they told me they had no knowledge of them and they were not on the list - Cynics fire up now...... I think they accepted my argument that why would I bother complaining about low cost items if it was not true and they sent me 2 x 4GB as replacements.

An ok outcome but that wasn't the point really....

I think since Wex merged with Calumet (it is my understanding that the person who set up Wex sold out) they lost the personal touch.

Have you contacted them ? What’s their response ?

They have asked me if I’m sure I sent it in their email as they don’t have it. I know I sent it because I put the Z6 white box inside it and also the SB 700 box inside it too. This was all then inside a packing box.

Last edited:
Do tell.....how does it differ compared to the Z6? If you can test AF-C in Extended FPS mode, I'd be grateful :)

Might be a few days yet. The house is a bombsite at the moment as we are having a new kitchen fitted and fully rewired, so it’s still in the box !!! :eek: When we get back to normality, I’ll be going out with the camera and trying some birding including BIF

They have asked me if I’m sure I sent it in their email as they don’t have it. I know I sent it because I put the Z6 white box inside it and also the SB 700 box inside it too. This was all then inside a packing box.

Sadly. It sounds like they’ve made a monumental cock up. Have they offered any compensation. ?

Sadly. It sounds like they’ve made a monumental cock up. Have they offered any compensation. ?

Nope not yet, I’m still awaiting a reply after me confirming that I sent it and how I sent it. So I’ll see where it goes from there.

There’s been a minor tweak to the z roadmap to include sillhouettes of upcoming lenses.

I quite like the look of the teeny tiny 28mm and 40mm that are coming. But look at the size of that 600mm (f/4?)!!

Just noticed something else actually - my sigma 150-600 (not extended, without the hood) isn’t considerably bigger than a 70-200 f/2.8. But look at the outline of the 200-600, the thing is enormous!

Just noticed something else actually - my sigma 150-600 (not extended, without the hood) isn’t considerably bigger than a 70-200 f/2.8. But look at the outline of the 200-600, the thing is enormous!
It's not a S line so this worries me also, probably be slower than f5.6.
The 100-400 looks interesting if they keep it relatively fast and can take a TC.
They really need to be producing z-mount PF glass, it's small telephoto lenses suits the mirrorless (My 300mm f4 pf + 1.4TC and Z6 = compact and light).

Last edited:
I first thought before sending “should I send the kit box or just the white one”. I decided to send because I thought I’d get £50 or something knocked off my quote for no box, guess I shouldn’t have bothered.

I wonder if I returned items id bought from them with no box how much of a fee I’d be charged, or if they’d even accept them.

Back