Nikon Z* mirrorless

The R5 does look like an impressive beast. More than I'd like to spend but certainly a great marker for Nikon to compete against with a new camera release in that price range.
To warrant spending so much on a camera I'd need to be either shooting a lot more than normally or making money from it, neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon.
Hopefully we'll see in-depth reviews soon showing some improvements.

If you weigh up the pros and cons, so far anyway, it purely comes down to ergonomics, the AF and lens preference.

Other than the simply brilliant 600/11 the Nikon lenses in my view have an edge. The lens I use most, the 24-70 is significantly lighter than the Canon version. The canon lenses have much more focus breathing. But you can get an 85/1.2 if you want it right now, although it's big and heavy so for me I don't think I do.

Ergonomics I like the feel of the R5 body, but a few of the buttons and functions to assign to them are a bit odd. You'd get used to the different menus really quickly as they are very similarly grouped etc.

AF, well I'm hoping to get a better idea of that soon but so far, strike one for Canon.

Are there many Z5 users here? Lack of work due to COVID meant a clear out and I basically have a clean slate going into wedding (and hopefully travel) season in 4 months time.

Considering a couple of Z5s (I've been a Sony a7III and Fuji X user previously) as they seem to tick all the boxes (dual card slots being near the top of the list).

Having been impressed with how perfectly adapted Canon glass worked on the Sony, I'm mainly interested in how the fast F mount primes would work via the adaptor (Sigma 35/85 Art) compared to say, the Nikon 1.8 Z mount equivalents.

Last edited:
Are there many Z5 users here?

I use a Z5. I chose it over the Z6/7 because of the dual SD card slots. It does what I need. I’m solely a landscape photographer and 24mp is more than enough for the sizes I print at and the AF is good enough, (trees and mountains don’t move very fast!) Weather sealing was a must as well. Lenses are 24-70 f4 - excellent value s/h or as a kit and 70-300 via the adaptor.

Hi folks first post. I have a modest Nikon d3300 and I'm just about to take early retirement. I'm intending to treat myself to a new camera and would like to go full-frame. I looked at the d750, regarded the d780 as out of reach, but after reading the reviews I want to go mirrorless. I don't fancy the 24-50 lens, preferring the 24-70 f4 lens.

I suppose my head says z5. A 24-70 kit lens can be had for £399. A z5 with the 24-50 lens for £1190. I could put the 24-50 up for sale unused and expect to get £250.

However my heart says z6ii. I can't see any way of getting it for less than £2100 with the 24-70 kit lens. That's about £800 more.

I've no interest in video, a little interest in wildlife, mainly interested in landscapes. I like photographing urban areas, skylines as well as open territory. I've taken quite a few photos of buildings under street lighting, flood lit buildings etc. Any views on what would be best for my purposes?

Hi folks first post. I have a modest Nikon d3300 and I'm just about to take early retirement. I'm intending to treat myself to a new camera and would like to go full-frame. I looked at the d750, regarded the d780 as out of reach, but after reading the reviews I want to go mirrorless. I don't fancy the 24-50 lens, preferring the 24-70 f4 lens.

I suppose my head says z5. A 24-70 kit lens can be had for £399. A z5 with the 24-50 lens for £1190. I could put the 24-50 up for sale unused and expect to get £250.

However my heart says z6ii. I can't see any way of getting it for less than £2100 with the 24-70 kit lens. That's about £800 more.

I've no interest in video, a little interest in wildlife, mainly interested in landscapes. I like photographing urban areas, skylines as well as open territory. I've taken quite a few photos of buildings under street lighting, flood lit buildings etc. Any views on what would be best for my purposes?

Well, if you’re anything like me after doing diligent research I end up with what I first fancied.

Look here, grey imports but they have a good reputation

I don't see any reason not to go for the Z5, mostly landscape and a little bit of wildlife, personally I don't think you could go wrong. 24-70 f4 is a cracking lens.

I've looked at Panamoz. That's where I saw the z5 kit for £1190. I must say there seems to be a relaxed view of grey imports here. I've seen other places where they have been heavily criticised. I'm finding it hard to look beyond them, given the difference in cost.

Connected my Z6 to the laptop today to use the Nikon webcam utility for the first time.
Was quite impressed with the image quality and face detection using the 24-70 f4.
Just a shame there's no constant power delivery to the Z6, as I'll be limited to the single battery.
Anyone know roughly how long you'd get from a single battery using it for webcam?
As I've to do a talk next week and would love to use the Z6 as my laptop has a 0.3mp camera lol.

Just getting round to trying this out. Have downloaded and installed the nikon software, however can't seem to find the runnable utility on my macbook, just a folder with the uninstall icon. Connect my Z6 to my macbook, and nothing - camera appears to be in normal mode. It doesn't show up as an option camera in Photo Booth, and Facetime still uses my built in webcam. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Just getting round to trying this out. Have downloaded and installed the nikon software, however can't seem to find the runnable utility on my macbook, just a folder with the uninstall icon. Connect my Z6 to my macbook, and nothing - camera appears to be in normal mode. It doesn't show up as an option camera in Photo Booth, and Facetime still uses my built in webcam. Any ideas?
I'm using on a windows 10 PC so might be different.
There's no "Nikon" program to run it just installs the drivers for the camera and can only be used in the supported applications, these can be found under the system requirements section where you downloaded the Nikon Webcam Utility.
I use it on Zoom, Google Meet and Facebook messenger and it pops up asking if I want to use the Nikon Webcam utility for video.

I'm using on a windows 10 PC so might be different.
There's no "Nikon" program to run it just installs the drivers for the camera and can only be used in the supported applications, these can be found under the system requirements section where you downloaded the Nikon Webcam Utility.
I use it on Zoom, Google Meet and Facebook messenger and it pops up asking if I want to use the Nikon Webcam utility for video.

Thanks @wilt got it working on messenger on chrome

I've looked at Panamoz. That's where I saw the z5 kit for £1190. I must say there seems to be a relaxed view of grey imports here. I've seen other places where they have been heavily criticised. I'm finding it hard to look beyond them, given the difference in cost.
Ask them if they can lower the price, I always ask.

Well I've gone and ordered it. Last day at work today, and a contribution from my colleagues. A z5 with a kit lens from Panamoz. A 24-70 f4 lens from e-infinity. The 24-50 kit lens will be going for sale unused when it arrives. Can't wait.........

Well I've gone and ordered it. Last day at work today, and a contribution from my colleagues. A z5 with a kit lens from Panamoz. A 24-70 f4 lens from e-infinity. The 24-50 kit lens will be going for sale unused when it arrives. Can't wait.........

Great stuff. I use the Z5 and 24-70f4 and love it - great IQ and fairly small and light.

Time to sell a kidney.

“A flagship Nikon Z-series mirrorless camera can be expected within the year, and is being developed with the goal of surpassing the D6"

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/03/05/...ming-soon-later-this-year.aspx/#ixzz6oFxakwA6

Time to sell a kidney.

“A flagship Nikon Z-series mirrorless camera can be expected within the year, and is being developed with the goal of surpassing the D6"

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2021/03/05/...ming-soon-later-this-year.aspx/#ixzz6oFxakwA6

I am curious about the SLR line - a 60mp or so D880 could be very compelling indeed.

Decided to be extravagant and 'upgrade' to the Z7ii as much as I loved the R5 autofocus, you just can't beat the colour out of a nikon. :) I've listed my Z6ii for sale just in case but I'll be putting it on ebay this weekend.

Need to get my settings into it but so far loving it.

DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0311.jpg
DSC_0381.jpg

Going to order a Z5 next week which is the easy part,
but trying to choose between the z24-200 or the 28-300 afs lens
I would like the extra reach and the £200 saving of course,
But is there any great difference in quality and af speed between the 2
thanks

Go the Z (S) route, by far the better lens.

I’d go for the Z lens as well. I’ve been tempted by the 24-200 for ages. Much as I love my 24-70 the versatility of the 24-200 is nagging at me. I could pair it with the 14-30 for a compact, two lens set-up that will do all I need. I use the 70-300 via an adapter atm and it takes up a lot of room in the bag. A couple of Youtubers I watch seem really impressed with the 24-200.

If it had been out at the time I got my z6 I would have gone for the 24-200 as well.

At the moment I have the 10-30, 24-70/4 and a 50/1.8 s and use an afp 70-300 fx to get the longer reach.

as someone who's mainly an event / wedding photographer (well, hoping to get back into that this year!) but recently has been doing property photography, is there any reason to go for the z7ii over the z6ii? Would be getting rid of my d810 and pairing a mirrorless with a d850 for now. Or better to wait? I

as someone who's mainly an event / wedding photographer (well, hoping to get back into that this year!) but recently has been doing property photography, is there any reason to go for the z7ii over the z6ii? Would be getting rid of my d810 and pairing a mirrorless with a d850 for now. Or better to wait? I
The Z6II would be perfectly adequate for property photography. Estate agents would rarely need anything overly large in print or resolution. My local estate agents images on their website are no larger than 1600x1080. The Z5 would also be a good option.

Last edited:
More wandering around my local lockdown spot. At least it’s not a silly o’clock alarm call for sunrise when you don’t have far to go.

Z5, 24-70f4

Hope Bowdler at sunrise, from Caer Caradoc
by Jason, on Flickr

it takes me back! My uncle and aunt lived much of their lives in Little then Church Stretton in the last house (more or less anyway) in the town on the walk to the Long Mynd. I've certainly walked Caer Caradoc a few times and your fine photo has nostalgic memories as well as artistic merits

it takes me back! My uncle and aunt lived much of their lives in Little then Church Stretton in the last house (more or less anyway) in the town on the walk to the Long Mynd. I've certainly walked Caer Caradoc a few times and your fine photo has nostalgic memories as well as artistic merits

Thanks David, very kind. It’s a lovely part of the county with much to explore. I’m going for a wander up the hill in the photo next to see how It’d be for a sunrise view of Caer Caradoc.

Z9 (what feels like the worst kept secret around) has been officially announced to be in development by Nikon:

I'm looking to get a Z6II. A few questions and queries please.

1, I'm a bit confused about the Card options.
If I go for the CFexpress will it work in the camera straight out of the box?
I've read somewhere that you have to get an XQD Card and then download something to it to get the Z6ii to work with a CFX Card.

2, Will the Camera come with the latest firmware or will I have to download this too.

3, Recommendations for a cheap but reliable Card Reader for the CFX and/or XQD.

4, Recommendations for a decent L Bracket.
I'll be upgrading my Tripod to something Arca compatible. I understand most or all L Brackets have Arca style fittings ?

5, I assumed Lens Corrections would be 'built in' but I saw a Jared P YouTube saying that the corrections are done by a Nikon arrangement Adobe PS. Is that the case? I don't use PS.

Thanks

More yawn, Yes I know I am not nice but Nikon do take their time and they say by the end of the year, wow, that`s long.
More Len's please Nikon...Soon.

Back