Nikon Z* mirrorless

a basic question from me - are the sensors used in the Nikon Z cameras the same as those used in the D850 and other Nikon DSLR's?
They are very similar to some Nikon DSLR sensors. The Image quality out of the Z7&Z7II is indistinguishable to images produced by the D850. The Z6&Z6II uses a very similar sensor to the D780. They have been tweaked to use phase and contrast detect focus and allow for far greater focus points .etc

Last edited:
They're so similar in their performance and output, that it would be very easy to draw the conclusion that they're the same sensors. But they've been developed with mirrorless in mind and certainly look to be based on previous sensors. Which is not a bad thing, as the D850 has a fantastic sensor.

Just to jump in on this thread, had my Z6 ii now for about a month, shot my first wedding using it a couple of weeks back and have been delighted with the results so far. Used it in conjunction with an adapted 24-70 f2.8 for a lot of the day, and then a native 85mm f1.8 in the evening and it didn't skip a beat. Focussing was as good as it needed to be even in low light, with face and eye both working well, loved the more accurate white balance over the d750, didn't expect that but it was a welcome bonus. Used it alongside the D750 all day, with about 2/3 of the photos taken on the Z6 ii. I can see why some would want improvements for sports and action on the focus front, but i think for 90% of togs who don't shoot those, then the Z system is more than adequate.

I can see why some would want improvements for sports and action on the focus front, but i think for 90% of togs who don't shoot those, then the Z system is more than adequate.

My thoughts exactly. I had a D750 before and used to do a bit of aircraft photography. I gave up the 'plane stuff a few years ago so solely a landscape shooter now. The Z5's auto focus does what I need of it, (trees and mountains don't move very fast!), so I'm covered. It does what I need in a nice, fairly lightweight, full frame camera, especially when paired with the brilliant 24-200.

My thoughts exactly. I had a D750 before and used to do a bit of aircraft photography. I gave up the 'plane stuff a few years ago so solely a landscape shooter now. The Z5's auto focus does what I need of it, (trees and mountains don't move very fast!), so I'm covered. It does what I need in a nice, fairly lightweight, full frame camera, especially when paired with the brilliant 24-200.
Tbh even through the more hectic parts of the wedding the focussing system coped just fine, and that was using an adapted lens. I think for the vast majority of people the focussing system is perfectly decent and wouldn't let them down, but I can see why those that do BIF or sports etc, would look towards sony and canon. Hopefully, as a long term nikon user, nikon will address this with the Z9 and then the trickle down affect to the Z6 ii and Z7 ii through firmware, and they can start being competitive again. I do get fed up of camera reviews where the focus tracking seems to have become the be all and end all though, especially when image quality, iso performance etc get overlooked. I shot a number oh images at iso 12800 and barely had to tickle them in post to reduce noise, which is about double the iso i would comfortably push the d750 to with similar results. That's also before you get onto the fact that the Z lenses are just mindblowingly good compared to the others.

Got a Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 this morning for my 6ii as some big family get togethers coming up, and I thought it might be better than my 24-200mm, for people etc.
However - When playing with it in the garden with the dog and the wife I thought, bloody hell, this gets too tight to the subject, I've made a mistake, I should have got the 35mm Prime.
Then I noticed the file size was smaller than it usually is.
After a bit of head scratching I noticed the camera was in DX mode :rolleyes:
I'd had a play with this over the weekend and forget to put it back.:facepalm:

Anyway, all looking really good now. It's a great lens. Phew.

Got a Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-30mm f/4 this morning for my 6ii as some big family get togethers coming up, and I thought it might be better than my 24-200mm, for people etc.
However - When playing with it in the garden with the dog and the wife I thought, bloody hell, this gets too tight to the subject, I've made a mistake, I should have got the 35mm Prime.
Then I noticed the file size was smaller than it usually is.
After a bit of head scratching I noticed the camera was in DX mode :rolleyes:
I'd had a play with this over the weekend and forget to put it back.:facepalm:

Anyway, all looking really good now. It's a great lens. Phew.

I bet you're glad you spotted the problem!

My cousin's dog has had a recent litter, quick shot using the Z6 and 85mm

DSC_2403-XL.jpg

I bet you're glad you spotted the problem!
Absolutely.
On the other hand it was a useful mistake.
When researching Primes I was tempted by the 85mm due to a lot of great reviews by portrait users etc.
After DX-ing the 50mm to 75mm, I realised that there was no way the 85mm Prime would get more than minimal use by me.
I'm mainly Travel, Street, Landscape and Cityscape, so the 50mm is plenty for me for the few family, friends events we have.

From the roadmap I am most interested in the 28 F2.8. I will probably pick up an 85mm at some point, given I really like 50mm I often find 85mm a bit too close. I would prefer 28/50/105.

Ah the 24-105 I mean, any ideas when that is out? I still miss the sharpness of my old 24-85 and 70-200 F4 compared to the 24-200

Not really a roadmap as there is no timeline anymore like in Nikons early iterations.
Like some others, I'm waiting for the 100-400mm.

Yes, disappointed that there are no long reach lenses yet.
Not sure why they prioritized the Z 40mm f2 as they're pretty close to that need with the 35mm and 50mm Primes.

I'm really excited for the 200-600, I'm on the verge of buying the 150-600 Tamron so I should probably hold out on this!

Yes, disappointed that there are no long reach lenses yet.
Not sure why they prioritized the Z 40mm f2 as they're pretty close to that need with the 35mm and 50mm Primes.

I’m guessing it will be high volume, easy profit. Much less involved in producing these style of lenses as opposed to the big stuff we are all actually waiting for!

Make sure it's the G2 version if you do. I had problems with the original Tamron 150-600,even on a DSLR. Although I'd wait for the native 200-600mm.
Agreed! I rented a G2 version recently for a trip to Norfolk, I was really impressed with it!

I shoot lots of different types of subjects from macro to family to BIF - I am a keen hobby photographer

I have quite a lot invested in Nikon glass from the 16 35, 24 70, 100 f1/4, 70 200 300 & 500PF and up to the 600mm, etc.,

Every year I get this urge to move to Canon, especially when I compare the specs on their latest releases

To me the R6 and R5 still seem ahead of the Z6ii and Z7ii mainly because of AF tracking ........... will Nikon ever improve their eye tracking AF?

I notice that the Z6 ii now has in body stabilisation - is it any good? and what is the Z6 ii like when using the body with the adapter and the longer Nikon glass? - any experiences particularly from bird shooters

I've read through this thread and I do appreciate that most are Nikon fans, (just as I am), but what do we think the future is for Nikon, will they fall further and further behind Canon & Sony as the mirrorless cameras develop ........... Nikon do seem to be suffering as many reviews on Utube generally favour Canon when a comparison is made

will the D850 be their last conventional DSLR - (the D6 seems to be well behind the 1DX Mkiii which according to what I have read is very good when used "mirrorless" mode with AF tracking)

Just my thoughts thinking out loud

I shoot lots of different types of subjects from macro to family to BIF - I am a keen hobby photographer

I have quite a lot invested in Nikon glass from the 16 35, 24 70, 100 f1/4, 70 200 300 & 500PF and up to the 600mm, etc.,

Every year I get this urge to move to Canon, especially when I compare the specs on their latest releases

To me the R6 and R5 still seem ahead of the Z6ii and Z7ii mainly because of AF tracking ........... will Nikon ever improve their eye tracking AF?

I notice that the Z6 ii now has in body stabilisation - is it any good? and what is the Z6 ii like when using the body with the adapter and the longer Nikon glass? - any experiences particularly from bird shooters

I've read through this thread and I do appreciate that most are Nikon fans, (just as I am), but what do we think the future is for Nikon, will they fall further and further behind Canon & Sony as the mirrorless cameras develop ........... Nikon do seem to be suffering as many reviews on Utube generally favour Canon when a comparison is made

will the D850 be their last conventional DSLR - (the D6 seems to be well behind the 1DX Mkiii which according to what I have read is very good when used "mirrorless" mode with AF tracking)

Just my thoughts thinking out loud
You are right that currently Canon/Sony is ahead in the autofocus department. Although I wouldn't believe all the negativity pedalled on YouTube about Nikon as its seemed very popular to bash them lately. I firmly believe that Nikon isn't as far off the mark as many would have you believe. As you can see from this thread, they still take amazing photos.
It's a culmination of all the cameras parts/features that actually make the choice easier than just one spec.
If you are currently a Nikon DSLR shooter and BIF is your main genre, I'd stay with that until the 3rd generation of Z6/Z7 unless you can stretch to the Z9 (which I believe will herald the autofocus competitiveness many seek) . Not that the current generation can't take BIF photos, just you may find the autofocus/tracking lacking compared to the D850/D500 which are the pinnacle of pro-sumer Nikon DSLRS. The Z series can do everything else very well, as I use my Z7II for everything. The Z glass is excellent and a marked step above the F-mount equivalent from my experience.

The only Z cameras not to have IBIS is the Z50 and Z-fc, both of them are DX cameras.

Last edited:
You are right that currently Canon/Sony is ahead in the autofocus department. Although I wouldn't believe all the negativity pedalled on YouTube about Nikon as its seemed very popular to bash them lately. I firmly believe that Nikon isn't as far off the mark as many would have you believe. As you can see from this thread, they still take amazing photos.
It's a culmination of all the cameras parts/features that actually make the choice easier than just one spec.
If you are currently a Nikon DSLR shooter and BIF is your main genre, I'd stay with that until the 3rd generation of Z6/Z7 unless you can stretch to the Z9 (which I believe will herald the autofocus competitiveness many seek) . Not that the current generation can't take BIF photos, just you may find the autofocus/tracking lacking compared to the D850/D500 which are the pinnacle of pro-sumer Nikon DSLRS. The Z series can do everything else very well, as I use my Z7II for everything. The Z glass is excellent and a marked step above the F-mount equivalent from my experience.

The only Z cameras not to have IBIS is the Z50 and Z-fc, both of them are DX cameras.

Thanks for your comments Steven

Back