Nikon Z* mirrorless

Ah OK, thanks. I’ll give that a try - most cameras I’ve used bracketing on take the bracketed number of shots on one press. I’m guessing if I take each shot of the bracket it does actually bracket the photos!
I would have thought you would press and hold while in continuous shooting and it would take the 3 shots in quick succession

I posted a separate thread on this last week when I was on holiday but didn't get much uptake on it and was pointed here - should have come here in the first place really, doh!

I shoot (mostly) landscapes and wanted to try out nightscapes at some point. I moved over to mirrorless at the beginning of the year with a used Z7, and a new Z5 converted to full spectrum. These replaced a D810 and a D7100 IR. I haven't got rid of those yet - dunno why! Maybe to trade in off the back of this post! :ROFLMAO:

I retained my F mount lenses - a 24-70 F2.8 G, a 70-200 F2.8 VR2 (and a Sigma 105 F2.8, a nifty 50 D and a 70-300 AF-S VR - I've rarely used these)

I also bought an FTZ, a 24-200 Z and a 14-30 Z

I tend to carry both cameras everywhere - usually on each shoulder! And I really have felt the weight and bulk of the 24-70 f2.8G and FTZ. So these are considerations. And as standard a filter size as possible. I was trying to standardise on 77mm but then the 14-30 has an 82mm filter. I've got adapters, and I might look at in body filters for infrared

The intention was to use 24-200 Z on the Z5, and the FTZ and F mount lenses on the Z7. However what's happened is the 24-200 hotspots terribly in infrared on the Z5. That means the 24-200 now seems to live on my Z7 (seems a waste of a 45mp camera, though it is an excellent lens!) and the 24-70 G lives on my Z5. It actually also hotspots a little in infrared, but nowhere near as bad as the 24-200.

I saw a 24-70 F4 Z second hand last week on holiday for £429, and tested it on the Z5 - it doesn't hotspot at all.

This got me thinking.... should I just go all in on Z?

The person who replied to my question on the other post suggested that the 24-70 F4 Z was far superior to the F2.8 G, though obviously I lose a stop, but have never really used F2.8 that much anyway. Does £429 for the 24-70 F4 sound like a no brainer as a replacement for the F2.8 G??

Of the other lenses, that really only leaves the 70-200..... As much as I'm sure I'd love the 2.8Z, I'm not entirely sure I could justify the cost given how little I seem to use my existing F mount 70-200 F2.8! But really would like extra distance as an option (though obviously would need to test it in infrared). Obviously I've got a Z lens that goes to 200mm, but In terms of sharpness, how does the 24-200 Z compare to the 70-200 F2.8 VR2? Anyone know?? I also heard there might be an 70-200 F4 Z lens on the way, but can't see much info on that.

The other lenses are very much take it or leave it. Part of me thinks I'd like a 105 f2.8 / macro, but....

Do I trade in all my F-mount kit for a 70-200 F2.8 and a teleconverter maybe? Not even sure trading all that in would cover it :oops: :$ which is slightly depressing.

What would you do???

Last edited:
Here's a couple of links that might help, or not!!!

They certainly have me thinking way too much!
Wow, that's a price and a half! Guessing no warranty on that though... mind you, Paramoz is only £100 or so more.... but yeh, it does help! :ROFLMAO:

24-70 F4 bought.... I don't think I'll miss that extra stop of the G 2.8, and certainly won't miss the weight, though it certainly was a tank!

Now to actually sell it rather than just stick it in a corner to gather dust and depreciate! (along with the D810, and the D7100, and the 70-300, and the 50, and the 105, and probably the 70-200!)

I'm new to Zeds. Z6ii

Since I got it I have been operating under battery anxiety, fuelled by the Nikonmarketing stuff saying that the shot capacity was effectively 1/4 of that on a D750.

I've just been to an event, 930 shots. Battery is now 80%.
That's with an FTZ and 70-200 VRII, tricky focussing.

Is that what this camera does? 'cos that's nothing like the marketing!

I've had to recharge my batteries at least 3 times and I'm only just over 1,000 shots.
However...
I put a lot of that down to my own learning curve with my 6ii.
I've spent a lot of time going through the menu system etc so expect that to have had an impact.
I'm just a hobbyist but just bought a third battery as extra insurance.

By the way, I can't get this "Recharge in Camera" option to work. I've ok'ed it in the menu.
Do have to buy some sort of charger to do this? I thought just connecting to a USB via the PC would work, but not so.

Yes, that’s more what I expected, and according to their specifications I would have needed three batteries last night. Instead it looks like it was good for another 2,000 shots! I’m taknig RAW only, and dual saving to both cards for redundancy. I normally wouldn’t have taken so many shots for an event like that.

Charging in camera, you might find it needs a standalone chatcing brick, I’m not sure how much power a PC gives out.

Sports shoot ( bikes) at weekend with z6i and well over 1,100 frames with original battery using H drive mode, 300pf & 24-200, no video, auto power off at lowest setting. I always have 2 ( cheap copy ) spares, good for 3-400 apiece. I believe it all depends on how much you use the rear display/ reviewing vs actually shooting. Get similar performance from my z7i.

That’s good to hear.

I had read that the EVF took more power than the rear display, and I have the rear display largely turned off, using the EVF to review.

I have some older Nikon batteries as spares.

Yes, that’s more what I expected, and according to their specifications I would have needed three batteries last night. Instead it looks like it was good for another 2,000 shots! I’m taknig RAW only, and dual saving to both cards for redundancy. I normally wouldn’t have taken so many shots for an event like that.

Charging in camera, you might find it needs a standalone chatcing brick, I’m not sure how much power a PC gives out.
I've charged my Z6 in my car with no problems, mind you make sure it`s just the "C" type battery you charge, no others will allow it.

Pretty p***ed off with the Z6, 1st one I had after 3 weeks the on/off button became stiff to turn on/off so Panamoz exchanged it but now I have noticed the same happening with my exchanged Z6 and the shutter speed dial has got a little sticky/noisy and I don`t think it focus`s as well as it should sooooooo I have ordered a Z6 ii and I`ll send off the Z6 for inspection/repair ect.
I`m off on a weeks hols soon to the Périgord region and didn`t want to take the chance with it in case it totally fails on me.

Pretty p***ed off with the Z6, 1st one I had after 3 weeks the on/off button became stiff to turn on/off so Panamoz exchanged it but now I have noticed the same happening with my exchanged Z6 and the shutter speed dial has got a little sticky/noisy and I don`t think it focus`s as well as it should sooooooo I have ordered a Z6 ii and I`ll send off the Z6 for inspection/repair ect.
I`m off on a weeks hols soon to the Périgord region and didn`t want to take the chance with it in case it totally fails on me.
Sounds like a good idea.

Did anyone notice the new firmware released yesterday ? If so any noticeable difference ? Link to Z7 II update https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/422.html
I've read that during back button focusing in H or H+ that the focus hunted even on still subjects. This is meant to be resolved in this latest firmware.
I'll update my Z7II tomorrow as I'd missed the previous one, but this isn't the major firmware update that was rumoured and folks are waiting/wanting. It may come after the Z9 release.
Speaking of the Z9, the 3rd teaser has dropped showing sticky eye-af and vehicle tracking.

Just wondering what owners of the Z6 II have found coming from the original Z6 regarding focussing speed. Is the Z6 II a big improvement, marginal or very little? What about using FX lenses and the adaptor, better focussing or not on the newer camera?

I've got both the Z6 and Z6II and use them side by side all the time with combinations of Z and F mount lenses. I would say, IMHO, the AF of the Z6II is better, but not worlds apart. I find the eye/face tracking to be quite a bit better but that's about it for the majority of the shooting I've done. But then I think very highly of the original Z6 and its focussing is fantastic to me.

I've got both the Z6 and Z6II and use them side by side all the time with combinations of Z and F mount lenses. I would say, IMHO, the AF of the Z6II is better, but not worlds apart. I find the eye/face tracking to be quite a bit better but that's about it for the majority of the shooting I've done. But then I think very highly of the original Z6 and its focussing is fantastic to me.
I could not have put this better myself, I have both Z6 and Z6ii. I am very pleased with them both.

That’s good to hear. I picked up a Z6 a little while ago and have been really pleased with it. I’ve often wondered if the Z6ii would be a better option, but for the kind of photography I do - landscape/woodland I guess it wouldn’t make much difference.

Note that Nikon Rumors is reporting that the long anticipated Nikon Z 100-400 will be announced officially next week along with the new Z9. They will also apparently announce the development of the Z 400 mm F2.8

Has anyone got a 40mm f/2 yet? I’m almost certainly going to get one, but just trying to decide whether to buy uk stock, or wait until they’re on e-infinity (but at this price the savings aren’t going to be huge, so more tempted by speed than price…)

Note that Nikon Rumors is reporting that the long anticipated Nikon Z 100-400 will be announced officially next week along with the new Z9. They will also apparently announce the development of the Z 400 mm F2.8

I've been waiting for some longer stuff. I hope the 100-400 is affordable.......

Has anyone got a 40mm f/2 yet? I’m almost certainly going to get one, but just trying to decide whether to buy uk stock, or wait until they’re on e-infinity (but at this price the savings aren’t going to be huge, so more tempted by speed than price…)

I just ordered yesterday from the Nikon store (£249, free delivery), it's still in stock as I am typing this. I usually wait for Panamoz but like you say there's not going to be that much of a difference in price and didn't want to wait 3 or 4 months. Nikon say delivery will be 2 to 4 weeks for in stock items.

I took delivery of one, purchased from Park Cameras, last week and used it on my Z50 at a family wedding last Saturday. I also done some test shots on my Z5.

Very impressed with the results on both cameras. Sharpest lens I've ever owned.

Shallow depth of field at f2 caught me out a couple of times at the wedding.

I have recently bought a Z6 and the 24-200 from MPB (probably should have bought it cheaper from the forums here). I am enjoying the camera but keep wondering if it is worth getting the 24-70 F4 too. I mainly shoot landscapes and occasionally flowers. When I look at photos on flickr & 500px, I keep getting the impression that there is just something a bit better on the photos I see taken with the 24-70 F4 but I can't define what it is. Looking at my photos taken with the 24-200, I think they are perfectly sharp, so maybe it's the colour or contrast or may be I am wrong. There seems to be nothing but praise for the 24-200 on YouTube.

Do any of you have both. Do you still use the 24-70 F4 ?

I had the 24-70 f4, 24-70 f2.8 and 24-200.
The 24-70 f4 is a very good kit lens for the money, but the 24-200 is built as a one lens solution.
This does impact the 24-200 image quality with such a large zoom range as well as having a variable aperture.
You have to ask yourself what focal range do you take most of your images at and whether you want to add another lens that has a big portion of the range you already have.

I think the upcoming 100-400 s will be a awesome lens for some landscape photography but we can all guess that the price is going to be well, stupid.

I have recently bought a Z6 and the 24-200 from MPB (probably should have bought it cheaper from the forums here). I am enjoying the camera but keep wondering if it is worth getting the 24-70 F4 too. I mainly shoot landscapes and occasionally flowers. When I look at photos on flickr & 500px, I keep getting the impression that there is just something a bit better on the photos I see taken with the 24-70 F4 but I can't define what it is. Looking at my photos taken with the 24-200, I think they are perfectly sharp, so maybe it's the colour or contrast or may be I am wrong. There seems to be nothing but praise for the 24-200 on YouTube.

Do any of you have both. Do you still use the 24-70 F4 ?

I still had my 24-70f4 when I bought my 24-200 and, at first, intended to keep both. IMHO, the images from the 24-70 had a little more 'pop'. Pretty quickly though, the 24-70 stayed at home. The difference in IQ to me was next to nothing and the convenience of a one lens setup to walk the mountains with far outweighed the minimal improvement for pixel peeping.

In my view, the 24-200 is a fantastic lens. The quality, considering the focal range, is excellent. The lens is lightweight, compact, weather-sealed and good value for money. For a landscape photographer who does a fair bit of hiking and hillwalking, as I do, it's a no-brainer IMHO.

In my view, the 24-200 is a fantastic lens. The quality, considering the focal range, is excellent. The lens is lightweight, compact, weather-sealed and good value for money. For a landscape photographer who does a fair bit of hiking and hillwalking, as I do, it's a no-brainer IMHO.

Thank you Jason

A drive to the Alps (France) yesterday, Z6 and either 24-70 f4 or Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2
A stunning place at this time of year.
The Autumn shots are at circa 1600 mts and the Mountain shots are at 2639 mts or there abouts.
Enjoy.

9 shot alps pano by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Entraunes by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Dark Mountain by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Fall colours by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

8 shot pano lac by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Fall Village by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Alps colour by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back