Nikon Z* mirrorless

I've had a Nikon EN-EL18D on order from the moment I ordered my Z9. I still have no idea when, or even if, it will appear.

I have some previous iteration EN-EL18 equivalent batteries made by Expro that have worked faultlessly in my Nikon DSLRs, but these won't work in the Z9 (they lack the chip to communicate with the camera).

One battery won't last a full days shooting at an event - as I have found out.

Are there any alternatives to the Nikon EN-EL18D available in the UK?

I like the Wasabi option but with shipping and duties from the USA it becomes 'expensive' but nevertheless IS available - so I haven't completely ruled it out.

TIA.
I actually contacted Nikon UK regarding the battery for the Z9 and they have no idea when they are going to be available either. That said I've just charged up a genuine Nikon 18C and fitted it into my Z9 and it's working perfectly fine. So for now I have some sort of back up I can use until the actual 18D's are available.

Scratch that post I made as I've just received an email about my Z 105mm Macro lens and the 18D battery which are now both in stock and just need the balance paying so happy days here. Can't wait try the macro lens out on the Z9 and Z7ii. I wonder if the eye tracking will work on bugs :LOL:

After ordering a Wasabi equivalent battery from the USA yesterday, today I receive notification from my dealer that my Nikon EN-EL18D is available.
Happy days....

So, I've had a chance to test the Z9 over a weekend and I have to say that it's in a different league compared to any Nikon mirrorless body I've used :)
Since I've never used the pro DSLR bodies, the weight and size kinda threw me off a bit, but that would be the only downfall of the camera for me.
I took about 5000 photos with it over the weekend, trying to test my most used scenarios with it and when shooting my dog, the in-focus rate was damn near 100%. Honestly, it was cheating. I tried a couple of the 120 FPS bursts and from 340 images, 340 were in focus...and that was with Ajka running at full speed towards me and jumping over a trench. I need to check what software is best used to piece those photos together into a move...

Anyhow, I'm convinced the technology in the Z9 is the next buy for me, just not sure if in the Z9 or I'll be waiting for a smaller body. My guess is the latter. If I can hold off :D

Anyway, a couple of photos from the weekend below:

Lift off Pt. 2 by luftwalk, on Flickr

Attack! by luftwalk, on Flickr

The lift? by luftwalk, on Flickr

The energy by luftwalk, on Flickr

and some non Ajka subjects:

Buzzard in flight by luftwalk, on Flickr

Graceful by luftwalk, on Flickr

Swan in flight by luftwalk, on Flickr

Swan landing by luftwalk, on Flickr

So, I've had a chance to test the Z9 over a weekend and I have to say that it's in a different league compared to any Nikon mirrorless body I've used :)
Since I've never used the pro DSLR bodies, the weight and size kinda threw me off a bit, but that would be the only downfall of the camera for me.
I took about 5000 photos with it over the weekend, trying to test my most used scenarios with it and when shooting my dog, the in-focus rate was damn near 100%. Honestly, it was cheating. I tried a couple of the 120 FPS bursts and from 340 images, 340 were in focus...and that was with Ajka running at full speed towards me and jumping over a trench. I need to check what software is best used to piece those photos together into a move...

Anyhow, I'm convinced the technology in the Z9 is the next buy for me, just not sure if in the Z9 or I'll be waiting for a smaller body. My guess is the latter. If I can hold off :D

Nice set of images indeed. What focus settings were you using? I have found this is the area where it's a bit trial and error. For instance 3D tracking on vehicles does not guarantee you getting the focus point exactly where you want it and sometimes it'll move to a car door handle, I think the camera looks for the best contrast. My hit rate is better than when I used my D5 or D4S so that's a good start. For me, it's still a learning curve using my Z9 and I've yet to try the new update but that will change at this weekends bike meet at Oulton Park.

Nice set of images indeed. What focus settings were you using? I have found this is the area where it's a bit trial and error. For instance 3D tracking on vehicles does not guarantee you getting the focus point exactly where you want it and sometimes it'll move to a car door handle, I think the camera looks for the best contrast. My hit rate is better than when I used my D5 or D4S so that's a good start. For me, it's still a learning curve using my Z9 and I've yet to try the new update but that will change at this weekends bike meet at Oulton Park.

Thanks,
I actually used Auto with 3D tracking most of the time, except on a few occasions where I chose Wide-L with animal AI to better control what the focus was on.
The auto with 3D never failed to pick up my dog when running though...the 120 FPS bursts really surprised me having all photos in focus using an old 300/2.8 AF-S II with FTZ.

I think I’ve found a problem with the 1.40 firmware update for my Z6ii. At least one other person has told me they have the same issue.

Here’s a video I made about the update, but the issue is raised at 4.40

Anyone else experienced this?

Nikon Z6ii and Z7ii - PROBLEMS??? Firmware v1.40 Test results
View: https://youtu.be/KGZPiAo87qE
This was an issue prior to the firmware update.

Lift off Pt. 2 by luftwalk, on Flickr

Attack! by luftwalk, on Flickr

The lift? by luftwalk, on Flickr

The energy by luftwalk, on Flickr

and some non Ajka subjects:

Buzzard in flight by luftwalk, on Flickr

Graceful by luftwalk, on Flickr

Swan in flight by luftwalk, on Flickr

Swan landing by luftwalk, on Flickr

I really like that first swan one - the focus on the head / neck, the bow wave - it all works really well for me.

Coming up to 15,000 frames with the Z9, and an awful lot of video too.

Still the best camera I've ever owned. V2.0 firmware has made a noticeable difference in a number of different areas. Also no battery out crashes but it's early days on the new firmware.

My only slight niggle is switching focusing modes isn't as easy as it could be. I've set up some of the function buttons to make it easier, but given one is already lost to the My Menu options, quickly changing focus modes is still a bit of a pain in the bum. Unlikely previous cameras where you could make do with one mode all the time, the Z9 really shines when you pick different modes for different scenes.

But that annoyance is minor compared to the overall camera.

All I need now is a second battery, although I've managed nearly 1,200 shots on one charge, way more than what Nikon suggest is possible.

Can't wait to see what the Z9II brings!

Coming up to 15,000 frames with the Z9, and an awful lot of video too.

Still the best camera I've ever owned. V2.0 firmware has made a noticeable difference in a number of different areas. Also no battery out crashes but it's early days on the new firmware.

My only slight niggle is switching focusing modes isn't as easy as it could be. I've set up some of the function buttons to make it easier, but given one is already lost to the My Menu options, quickly changing focus modes is still a bit of a pain in the bum. Unlikely previous cameras where you could make do with one mode all the time, the Z9 really shines when you pick different modes for different scenes.

But that annoyance is minor compared to the overall camera.

All I need now is a second battery, although I've managed nearly 1,200 shots on one charge, way more than what Nikon suggest is possible.

Can't wait to see what the Z9II brings!
Park Cameras still had the batteries yesterday if you're after a second one. I received mine yesterday although I've not run the one that came with the camera flat once yet :)

Park Cameras still had the batteries yesterday if you're after a second one. I received mine yesterday although I've not run the one that came with the camera flat once yet :)
If I'm shooting at an event I can run the battery out, circa 4200 images last time.
TBH it's a lot better than I expected for a mirrorless camera. Not quite up to DSLR std, but that in itself is very impressive.

Anyone else shooting with a ZFC? I bought one a few weeks ago and I'm impressed with it. Great to use as an everyday camera with a couple of primes on it.

ZFC & 40mmm f2

ZFC_0546 by Dave Young, on Flickr

I've been tempted to get one. Now I've moved from the Z7ii to the Z9 it's not exactly everyday carry so a zfc would fit that need.

If I'm shooting at an event I can run the battery out, circa 4200 images last time.
TBH it's a lot better than I expected for a mirrorless camera. Not quite up to DSLR std, but that in itself is very impressive.
I recently shot at Oulton Park for the GT car meet and got 9900 images from my battery and it wasn't empty at the end either. I do view some images while I'm there but basically it's shoot and lets be surprised when I get home. Glad my new battery is on it's way now though.

That's my weekend sorted. Finally.......Lens day.jpg

The wait has finally got to me, feeling very jaded indeed......... I have already shot events I had hoped I would have had the Z9, and yeh I managed, but the reason I ordered the Z9 was for these events and as much as I like the Z6II its not really unto the heavy lifting of some events especially without a grip that's also been on order forever. I am hoping for accreditation for the Commonwealth games amongst others and if its not here before then I will have to go back down the DSLR route for a few years until Z9(II) is widely avail.

Has anyone swapped from a Z6 to a Z7/Z7ii? I'm interested in possibly changing up from the Z6 to a Z7 or Z7ii, as I'd like more resolution.

I'm interested to know if you did change did you notice any particular changes/improvements in the colours, tones etc. A different beast I know but swapping between my Z6 & ZFC, I've noticed I much prefer the colour and tone the ZFC shows. I realise its apples v pears in terms of sensor etc. but I'm interested to know if anyone who has swapped from a Z6 to a Z7 model noticed the difference.

I went from a Z6 to a Z6ii and then to a Z7ii. I now have a Z9 but miss the Z7ii. The image quality of the Z7ii IMHO is the best of ANY Nikon camera. I couldn't really put my finger on it exactly but I did prefer the Z7ii colours, and it's razor sharp.

The Z9 is a bit disappointing in some ways when compared. I've been tempted to sell the Z9 and go back to a Z7ii. The only thing that puts me off is going backwards in AF.

I went from a Z6 to a Z6ii and then to a Z7ii. I now have a Z9 but miss the Z7ii. The image quality of the Z7ii IMHO is the best of ANY Nikon camera. I couldn't really put my finger on it exactly but I did prefer the Z7ii colours, and it's razor sharp.

The Z9 is a bit disappointing in some ways when compared. I've been tempted to sell the Z9 and go back to a Z7ii. The only thing that puts me off is going backwards in AF.

Wow, that's quite a statement Pete regarding the Z7ii -> Z9! In truth the Z9 is of no interest to me... it's too big and heavy for what I want it for. The Z7ii answers some of the issues for me with the Z6, such as extended shutter times etc (albeit, the screen doesn't flip how I'd like it to).

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely leaning toward a Z7ii.

Wow, that's quite a statement Pete regarding the Z7ii -> Z9! In truth the Z9 is of no interest to me... it's too big and heavy for what I want it for. The Z7ii answers some of the issues for me with the Z6, such as extended shutter times etc (albeit, the screen doesn't flip how I'd like it to).

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely leaning toward a Z7ii.
Don't get me wrong the Z9 is incredible in many ways and the Z7ii only has a slight edge, but it is better IQ wise. The AF is like night and day between them though.

I've found the Z7ii like the D850 produces stunning images when you nail it but they both work best in situations where speed is not required. Their focus speed is sluggish compared to the likes of the D5 and Z9 which is why I'm mulling over selling my Z7ii because it does not match my needs. When I was a DSLR user I had my Z6 I loved the EVF, loved how you see what you are taking and I longed for a mirrorless cross between the D5 and D850 and IMO the Z9 is that camera and I love it. Using the Z7ii for sports events actually depresses me because the Z9 is that good and I don't want it sitting in my bag doing nothing.

Don't get me wrong the Z9 is incredible in many ways and the Z7ii only has a slight edge, but it is better IQ wise. The AF is like night and day between them though.

I was wondering if the Z7ii had the edge IQ wise.

Does Z9 have the base 64 ISO like the Z7ii/D850 and I heard the dynamic range of the Z9 is slightly off the pace re Z7ii/d850.

The next Z body will have more MP and better IQ at the expense of speed. They will call it Z8 I am sure.

I've found the Z7ii like the D850 produces stunning images when you nail it but they both work best in situations where speed is not required. Their focus speed is sluggish compared to the likes of the D5 and Z9 which is why I'm mulling over selling my Z7ii because it does not match my needs. When I was a DSLR user I had my Z6 I loved the EVF, loved how you see what you are taking and I longed for a mirrorless cross between the D5 and D850 and IMO the Z9 is that camera and I love it. Using the Z7ii for sports events actually depresses me because the Z9 is that good and I don't want it sitting in my bag doing nothing.

Yeah the AF is the real issue with the Z bodies up to the Z9. The Z9 makes it so easy and you know it's going to do what you tell it, where the other bodies it's still hit and miss. I don't shoot video at all so the Z7ii but with Z9 AF would be 100% perfect for me, both in size and capabilities. I've been toying with going back to the Z7ii and waiting for the next iteration but going back will be frustrating on the AF.

I was wondering if the Z7ii had the edge IQ wise.

Does Z9 have the base 64 ISO like the Z7ii/D850 and I heard the dynamic range of the Z9 is slightly off the pace re Z7ii/d850.

The next Z body will have more MP and better IQ at the expense of speed. They will call it Z8 I am sure.

Yeah I'm hoping for a Z7iii or Z8 or whatever, but I do hope they don't go mad on the MP. 45mpix is more than I need most of the time so more than that will be a waste. Not to say I wouldn't trade my Z9 against a smaller body with the same AF whatever the MP ends up being :) I still live in hope for a D700 moment to come lol

45mp is at the limit of acceptable noise for me right now. So any more than that I'm out. I'd actually love it if they did a 33mp non-gripped body with the AF and configurability of the Z9. That would be my go-to for everything.

I would want 60mp, but very clean like the D850. I only really shoot at base ISO, ISO200 is emergency use only for me. Something fully optimised around landscape photography. And an inbuilt high res mode with sensor/pixel shift to make super res raws/dngs.

Built like the Z9 but could live without the vertical grip but with two tripod slots like the 645z to make switching between portrait and landscape orientation.

If they did a 60mp or so D850 replacement I would be even happier.

Last edited:
I would want 60mp, but very clean like the D850. I only really shoot at base ISO, ISO200 is emergency use only for me. Something fully optimised around landscape photography. And an inbuilt high res mode with sensor/pixel shift to make super res raws/dngs.

Built like the Z9 but could live without the vertical grip but with two tripod slots like the 645z to make switching between portrait and landscape orientation.

If they did a 60mp or so D850 replacement I would be even happier.

Our use cases are different but I've never understood pixel-shift as I've never seen a good quality output from it, seems to always have artefacts in the files. I don't think we will see a 60mp sensor with files like a 45mp one. The Z9 isn't as clean as the Z7ii and has less DR in some ISOs. I think currently without a really big tech advancement we're not going to get cleaner files at the current resolutions never mind higher.

Our use cases are different but I've never understood pixel-shift as I've never seen a good quality output from it, seems to always have artefacts in the files. I don't think we will see a 60mp sensor with files like a 45mp one. The Z9 isn't as clean as the Z7ii and has less DR in some ISOs. I think currently without a really big tech advancement we're not going to get cleaner files at the current resolutions never mind higher.

The artificacts appear from movement during exposures. I wouldn't use the feature routinely...but certain scenes where nothing moves it could be nice.

I do know that the 60mp sensor in the A7Riv is good, but people tell me the D850, Z7 ones are just that shade more adjustable.

My experience of GFX100 files (a camera that shares the same pixel pitch as the 60mp) is they aren't as clean as the 50mp medium format, or the D850 files.

But Nikon seem to pull off the impossible and make very clean files from high pixel density cameras.

Back