Nikon Z* mirrorless

Well pulled the trigger on a Z9 from MBP…… slightly shocked at one avail there already but had to take the chance. Be here Saturday, be using it Sunday live and in anger.
That really surprises me one being on there. Surely the owner would have got almost full price selling it privately and MPB wouldn't offer close to that. I did see one on Facebook Marketplace a couple of weeks back and it was totally genuine too. The seller was asking below list price too. Glad you got one and enjoy.

That really surprises me one being on there. Surely the owner would have got almost full price selling it privately and MPB wouldn't offer close to that. I did see one on Facebook Marketplace a couple of weeks back and it was totally genuine too. The seller was asking below list price too. Glad you got one and enjoy.
Well it was like new, updated to V2 software already but unboxed. No idea where it came from as in UK or gray but frankly I’m happy so don’t really care lol. What’s the bets my Z9 I ordered from WEX comes in next week now lol

For the record arrived Saturday and was using in anger an hour later, the AF, bearing in mind I still don’t have native Z lenses, is other worldly. Steep learning curve but impressive

Last edited:
nikon z50 had it for awhile now, only been out with it a couple of times, but very impressed with it , these were taken with the sigma 150-600 not bad for a 600mm macro lens

Attachments

• DSC_0717.JPG
    DSC_0717.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0637.JPG
    DSC_0637.JPG
    370.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0652.JPG
    DSC_0652.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0684.JPG
    DSC_0684.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0695.JPG
    DSC_0695.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0698.JPG
    DSC_0698.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 10
Not sure if these will upload properly but not really been inspired to get out much recently, but had a spare hour this morning so just put the 70-200s with 2x on the Z9 and went for a wander.
I don't know about everyone else, but the combo is sharp enough for me. Never owned TC's that were as good as the Z ones.DSC_4656_fb.jpgDSC_4656_crop.jpgDSC_4848_fb.jpgDSC_4848_crop.jpgDSC_4878_fb.jpgDSC_4878_crop.jpg

Does anyone use a flash trigger on their Z cameras and Nikon flashes? Been asked to do a wee portrait gig, used to use my flashes into a brolly with my Nikon CLS but alas not an option on Z’s

If you have two flashes set one as a commander and one as slave (or sender and receiver for the politically correct :rolleyes:)
I have done this on the Z6 II but looking for a neater solution with triggers was all, if push comes to shove may need to

In case anyone else needs one, I was looking for a decent cover/case for my Z FC with lens attached. I was after something that just covered the camera and lens whilst in the tail bag of my motorcycle or when I just want to throw it in my standard rucksack etc.. I found this LensCoat BodyBag and took a punt. It's the perfect fit and good quality, too. Other reviewers have said it also works well with the Z6/7/9 etc.. with small lens attached.

LCBB.jpg

Anyone get their hands on the 100-400 yet?
I would love one but Panamoz prices just increased by £120 - That`s crazy and I do think it`s a little bit pricy for what it is anyway.

The 105mm Macro I ordered back in early February has just arrived, so at least some stock is trickling into the country!

I would love one but Panamoz prices just increased by £120 - That`s crazy and I do think it`s a little bit pricy for what it is anyway.
yes the HKD to GBP has taken a hit these past few months so all their pricing has been rising accordingly :(

It's really annoying that Nikon seem to be able to give YouTube "influencers" copies of the 100-400 for review but can't get it into the shops. Between that and their lack lustre Z7ii updates I'm seriously thinking of changing systems.

It's really annoying that Nikon seem to be able to give YouTube "influencers" copies of the 100-400 for review but can't get it into the shops. Between that and their lack lustre Z7ii updates I'm seriously thinking of changing systems.
If you were running a company would you just send the first available product out to someone with no influence over potential buyers.
You just have to look at any product released, it's all over Youtube before stores.
Stock is very limited and every company is wanting to make as big an impact with it's launch as possible, even if they haven't enough to fulfil the orders.
The folk that are always changing systems are 99% of the time the ones that haven't even reached 50% of their current gears potential.
The grass may look greener but rarely tastes as sweet.

p.s
I forgot to say that the 100-400 is available, if you're willing to buy a grey import and at an inflated price.

Last edited:
I'm aware that I could buy a grey import, please don't assume that I don't know how to use a camera, I've used Nikon cameras for 40 years.

I think the problem with Nikon at the moment is two fold. Not quite having the right products for the masses right now, and a false image that they are the only company suffering with supply issues.

On the second point, supply issues, most manufacturers are suffering on new product. Nikon are suffering possibly slightly more but they are a smaller company and with new products in higher demand. The 100-400 is a particularly bad example, but it's not been out that long when you think about it. I only just got hold of the 105mc this week after waiting for stock for a long time.

The first point I think is the real problem, for me at least. I've shot Nikon for many years, both professionally and personally. But the Z bodies have been frustrating for me. The Z7ii being the best for me until the Z9 came out. It was really the AF for me that was frustrating as often I'd hit it's limits. So the Z9 arrived and I was overjoyed. The AF is there, it works exactly as I would expect. But right now I'm considering selling the Z9 and either jumping ship, or just getting a Z7ii again until the Z7iii or similar. I've found the Z9 doesn't suit me these days. I assumed I'd be ok since I used to cary a D3 with me everywhere, but these days I think I have been spoilt by the small size and weight of the Z cameras before it, and I think I've now come to the conclusion a full gripped body isn't for me. Which is now frustrating as I really only wanted the AF, I don't need the video features, only the fantastic AF. The Z9 kind of draws a lot of attention as well, which I'm not really fond of.

When you add the two things together it makes people talk about jumping to another brand because they can't get what they want. But what is acutely obvious is that moving to another brand will only fix the supply problems, if you absolutely know the brand has all the lenses and bodies in stock that you need, because if not you may end up in the same waiting situation.

Last edited:
Nikon have reduced prices on some of the Z Lenses. Handy as I wanted to purchase the 24-200mm Z lens which was £949 in most stockists but can get slightly cheaper looking around. Now reduced £180 to £769 and most of the major suppliers have reduced accordingly, John Lewis, Wex etc. As I'm going to West Coast USA in 3 weeks, I was in the process of putting a deposit down at a shop in San Fran as they retail there at £635 ish ($799) which was over £300 saving for retail here. Anyway, I decided to purchase one from John Lewis this morning for £754 as they were doing an offer of £15 off for JL members and comes with 2 yr warranty. Just had another look and Cameraworld are doing it for £749 but think there's only a 1yr warranty with that.

Last edited:
@wilt

All good. Some great creative shots here. Nice one.

What about for the Z6 and Z6 II's ? I'm still using 120GB Sony G XQD cards, in both of mine, as I thought I'd read that the Z6 and Z7 (in both the mark I and II versions), couldn't take full advantage of the much fast speeds of CF Express ?

Is that true, or does a good CF Express card bring any benefit to these cameras (aside from quicker transfer speeds to a computer).

Last edited:
Does anyone have a Meike ring flash and a Z9 ?

I purchased an MK14EXT but cannot get the flash to trigger in TTL mode, the f-stop numbers change but no flash unless I move flash to manual mode then it triggers but it does not adjust exposure with camera? I do not have silent mode on as I know that stops flash trigger, any ideas ?

Does anyone have a Meike ring flash and a Z9 ?

I purchased an MK14EXT but cannot get the flash to trigger in TTL mode, the f-stop numbers change but no flash unless I move flash to manual mode then it triggers but it does not adjust exposure with camera? I do not have silent mode on as I know that stops flash trigger, any ideas ?
A lot of third party flashes (e.g. Godox) require a firmware update for TTL to work with the Z9... others that cannot be updated simply will not work in TTL.

Back