Nikon Z* mirrorless

I purchased the Z 24-120 lens about 4 months ago and to be honest hadn't really used it until my trip to London a few weeks ago. I took just the Z7 II, 24-120 and 14-30 (and my GoPro Hero 9). The 24-120 was on the camera for 95% of shots and I have to say ended up being mightily impressed with the image quality and handling of it. It's about the same size and maybe just a tad heavier than my all time favourite lens (my Olympus 12-100 F4 Pro, which I still use on my OM-1), and think I'll be using it much more in the coming months and years.
Yep, best zoom I've ever had. I keep saying this. Also, very nice constant MFD throughout the zoom range.

pretty sure its the rebranded tamron 17-28mm. Coincidentally they have also added a 70-180mm on their roadmap which I am pretty sure will be the rebranded tamron 70-180mm f2.8.
I am just a little sad they didn't rebrand the G2 version of 28-75mm which is wee bit smaller, optically better with better rendering.

All three good lenses though.

It's a nice idea - gives a more budget/value orientation to the range.

For me, I think 17-28 is a more useful FL range than 14-24 so it's an attractive proposition.

It's a nice idea - gives a more budget/value orientation to the range.

For me, I think 17-28 is a more useful FL range than 14-24 so it's an attractive proposition.

I suppose depends on your other lens.
the tamron versions while not cheap are more affordable than rebranded nikkors which have a rather larger markup :(

I found 17-28mm to be neither wide enough nor long enough. Its not even a 2x zoom. On something like A7RIV I could crop from 17mm and still have enough pixels left to print at A3+ sizes at 300dpi.
Tamron have recently announced a smaller 20-40mm f2.8 which I'd prefer.

Last edited:
I suppose depends on your other lens.
the tamron versions while not cheap are more affordable than rebranded nikkors which have a rather larger markup :(

I found 17-28mm to be neither wide enough nor long enough. Its not even a 2x zoom. On something like A7RIV I could crop from 17mm and still have enough pixels left to print at A3+ sizes at 300dpi.
Tamron have recently announced a smaller 20-40mm f2.8 which I'd prefer.

20-40 really does sound perfect actually. That would be the do it all Glencoe lens.

I had a good look at the 24-120 yesterday at the Photo Show and it looks quite impressive. Feels a little more polished in operation than the 24-70 which impresses me greatly.

70-180 is definitely of interest. I've been waiting for an affordable 70-200 f4 but obviously that's no interest to Nikon a present. With the 14-30, 24-70(120) and a 70-180 that's perfect for me!

Following on from the above about the Z 24-120 S F4 lens, here's a 60 second exposure (with a 10 stop ND filter) at the Natural History museum a few weeks ago, with the camera resting on the stone staircase. Looks very sharp to me corner to corner. It was absolutely crowded with people hence the 10 stop, to try and "thin" the crowd out so to speak. Single exposure (no HDR bracketing) on the Z7 II.

Last edited:
What about irix 15mm
Had one for the 750 for about a week, duff copy or crap lens - it was hard to tell.
Or the literally-just-announced 17-28?

Yep - think I'll wait and go for this now. Many thanks. Focusing at night might be an issue - we shall see.

Got an odd little problem with my Z5 that I'm not sure how I've caused, and not sure how to fix - in fact worried it might be a hardware fault.

The back dial isn't working. So can't change shutter speed or any of the other back dial functions. The rest of the camera works fine and obviously I can compensate in some way for the lack of a back dial

But is there any way I might have disabled it, or anything I can try to resolve this? Or are people thinking hardware fault and would need to be sent off to be fixed?

Could you not reset it to factory?

I want to check if there is anything less destructive first before I do that, mostly because it's a full spectrum conversion and it has custom white balances programmed

Save the settings to a Mem Card?
Reset see if it fixes it
Load settings

at least you'd know if it was something in how it is set up?

I want to check if there is anything less destructive first before I do that, mostly because it's a full spectrum conversion and it has custom white balances programmed
If they are in the manual presets (they should be) you can turn on the preset protection... that prevents them from being modified. I'm not certain that prevents them from being cleared with a reset... but I kind of think the white balance presets/saved aren't affected by a reset anyway.

Pants - factory reset not made any difference, which I guess leaves hardware problem :( (and obviously being a modified camera, I guess an invalidated warranty. Ah well, thems the risks)

Last edited:
I have just ordered the 400f4.5 for my Z9. Im thinking of buying a 1.4tc. Anyone one using this combo and can tell me if sharpness is effected and how much speed us lost with focusing.? Cheers.
It is a cracking lens, I sold my 500PF to get this. Sadly the 1.4x seems to be more rare than rocking horse sh!t !! I had one last year and sold it when I sold the 100-400 and regret it now, I do have the 2x which took some time to source but now a few are appearing, it is at f9 but surprisingly works quite well for static shots.

this is handheld with 2x at around 30m (heavy crops and a few on there if you scroll)
View: https://flic.kr/p/2nHoQB6

Last edited:
Im in no hurry for the 1.4tc for now. I still have the 600f4 and tc for long range subjects but wanted a lighter weight set up for the Snowy Owls in Canada come Feb. I will just bide my time till one pops up.

Sadly living in Scotland and using a 2xtc at f9 is near impossible with the light up here.

Last edited:
Im in no hurry for the 1.4tc for now. I still have the 600f4 and tc for long range subjects but wanted a lighter weight set up for the Snowy Owls in Canada come Feb. I will just bide my time till one pops up.

Sadly living in Scotland and using a 2xtc at f9 is near impossible with the light up here.

Yeah the two heron photos above are with the 2x on and TBH they have lost some sharpness, colour and contrast with being at high iso due to being at f9

I have just ordered the 400f4.5 for my Z9. Im thinking of buying a 1.4tc. Anyone one using this combo and can tell me if sharpness is effected and how much speed us lost with focusing.? Cheers.
I should have also said is what makes it such a special combo (like the PF) is you can have it on your lap when driving aroud the lanes etc if you see something you can get a good shot that would normally be missed if having to stop and open a bag and get out etc, I did not think they could get lighter than the 500PF but the 400 4.5Z is noticbly lighter than 500 especially as you do not need the FTZ and the extra stops with Z9 combo for hand held really help on static shots

It's a bit quiet in here, anyone got new shots/experiences to share?

I've not been using my Nikon Kit I have to say, I got a Fuji x-h2s on loan so that's been welded to my hand since I got it. So much so I'm seriously considering switching and selling the Z9 and lenses to move to Fuji. I'm finding joy using it as it's lighter and in some ways better for wildlife. I did get a quote form mob to sell the Z9 though and it looks like that wont be happening any time soon based on the crazy price they offered.

It's a bit quiet in here, anyone got new shots/experiences to share?

I've not been using my Nikon Kit I have to say, I got a Fuji x-h2s on loan so that's been welded to my hand since I got it. So much so I'm seriously considering switching and selling the Z9 and lenses to move to Fuji. I'm finding joy using it as it's lighter and in some ways better for wildlife. I did get a quote form mob to sell the Z9 though and it looks like that wont be happening any time soon based on the crazy price they offered.
I can image MPB weren't too good on giving you a good price on the Z9 even though it's almost impossible get one. Surely a private sale will yield a good price? As for it being quiet on here it has. Personally I've been doing lots of motor sport and that's about it. This weekend I'm hoping get out get some nature and arty stuff done, it'll clear the mind and relax me a bit. I'll post some images up then fingers crossed.

I can image MPB weren't too good on giving you a good price on the Z9 even though it's almost impossible get one. Surely a private sale will yield a good price? As for it being quiet on here it has. Personally I've been doing lots of motor sport and that's about it. This weekend I'm hoping get out get some nature and arty stuff done, it'll clear the mind and relax me a bit. I'll post some images up then fingers crossed.
Yes I'd have to go down the private sale route as the price offered was funny, £3800, I get that they want to make a profit but that's going a bit far tbh. Difficult to price to be fair since they are so difficult to get hold of right now. I think I just got old so big bodies and lenses don't appeal these days. Although the S glass is so damn good.

Yes I'd have to go down the private sale route as the price offered was funny, £3800, I get that they want to make a profit but that's going a bit far tbh. Difficult to price to be fair since they are so difficult to get hold of right now. I think I just got old so big bodies and lenses don't appeal these days. Although the S glass is so damn good.
I just paid £5010 for it with adapter 2 from Panamonza unable to get it in this country so would not let it go for £3800

Shocking price, can’t imagine that’s happening. I know Z9 are a bit more easily found now, back orders are expected to be clear before Christmas but still not a fair price IMHO. I have so many S lenses I want/need but no idea how I can afford, need to upgrade my 24-70 2.8 to Z before I get anything else but I really fancy the 400 4.5, the 14-30 and the newly announced 35 1.2……
I was a tad confused with the announcement HE and HE* being supported by Adobe finally as I have been using HE since I bought my first Z9, I can only assume this means in relation to ACR for PS and not in relation to Lightroom classic? Also can anyone say if Lightroom classic will operate and read natively HE on the latest M1 pro/max Apple laptop? I’m confused what works and what doesn’t now lol

I just paid £5010 for it with adapter 2 from Panamonza unable to get it in this country so would not let it go for £3800

Oh there is no way it'd be sent to them with that quote lol

Shocking price, can’t imagine that’s happening. I know Z9 are a bit more easily found now, back orders are expected to be clear before Christmas but still not a fair price IMHO. I have so many S lenses I want/need but no idea how I can afford, need to upgrade my 24-70 2.8 to Z before I get anything else but I really fancy the 400 4.5, the 14-30 and the newly announced 35 1.2……
I was a tad confused with the announcement HE and HE* being supported by Adobe finally as I have been using HE since I bought my first Z9, I can only assume this means in relation to ACR for PS and not in relation to Lightroom classic? Also can anyone say if Lightroom classic will operate and read natively HE on the latest M1 pro/max Apple laptop? I’m confused what works and what doesn’t now lol

The 400/4.5 is a lovely lens, and works well with the TC's as well but when you compare the size and weight of the fuji combo I have to the Z9 and 400mm, taking into account the autofocus of the fuji out performs the Z9 in most of the situations I've tried it in so far, it's difficult for me to not consider a switch.

IMG_3589.jpg

I've never tried the HE or HE* files to be honest. I've just stuck with lossless compressed but it does eat disk space lol

Back