Nikon Z* mirrorless

If buying now, I'd try and transition to Z lenses. The 400mm f4.5 is an excellent and light lens, but I haven't tried it with a 2x teleconverter. The 1.4tc on it is very good. I don't own a 400mm f4.5, just used one for sports and wildlife recently.
I'd have to agree... if buying new and w/in budget the Z lenses are the better choice. In general, they are sharper as they are designed to take advantage of the larger lens mount. Similar is true for the Z TC's.

But probably more significant IMO is the programmable buttons/interface. E.g. exposure compensation (or ISO) on the control ring, recall focus positions, etc.
E.g. when the Z9 decides to lock onto the BG (and it will) the ability to instantly pull the focus back to/towards minimum is extremely useful.

Thanks both,

Most of my F mount stuff is old so it's probably time to upgrade some of it anyway. I mainly grabbed the adapter as it was only £100 extra for my 24-70 and 70-200.

Thanks both,

Most of my F mount stuff is old so it's probably time to upgrade some of it anyway. I mainly grabbed the adapter as it was only £100 extra for my 24-70 and 70-200.
I'm in the same boat, I don't have any Z lenses as of yet; heavily invested in F-mount glass and still have D850. The only Z lens I'm planning on buying is to 200-600... probably...

My 400/2.8 is w/ Nikon for repair (~$900 USD, covered)... kinda wish it had been non-repairable so I could justify buying the Z version (to myself).

I'm in the same boat, I don't have any Z lenses as of yet; heavily invested in F-mount glass and still have D850. The only Z lens I'm planning on buying is to 200-600... probably...

My 400/2.8 is w/ Nikon for repair (~$900 USD, covered)... kinda wish it had been non-repairable so I could justify buying the Z version (to myself).
If they announce the 200-600 I'd get it as well but I don't wanna wait more than a week or two after getting the Z9 before I get a decent telephoto.

I'm trying to figure out batteries - whether I get the OEM one or get either ProMaster for £119.99 https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/promaster-battery-nikon-el-el18d/

or the Newell for £109 https://www.parkcameras.com/shop/newell-battery-en-el18d-for-nikon_j571814n

I know it's only £50/£60 saving but money saved means more new lenses..

Nikon can kill off 3rd party batteries at any stage. My 3rd party ones never worked in the Z6/Z7II.
Myself personally, I'd get the genuine Nikon batteries.
The Z9 can take a helluva lot of photos on a single battery, having just one more will suffice for almost all scenarios imo.

Nikon can kill off 3rd party batteries at any stage. My 3rd party ones never worked in the Z6/Z7II.
Myself personally, I'd get the genuine Nikon batteries.
The Z9 can take a helluva lot of photos on a single battery, having just one more will suffice for almost all scenarios imo.

True, I have seen most 3rd parties besides 3-4 brands have issues already. So yeah probably just worth the extra £60 for the OG one.

I'll need more in the long run but for now 2 should be okay. I sometimes am away from mains power for weeks, and while I do take portable power stations, battery banks and I have my car to charge things it's not the best setup. Easier to have a few batteries and not worry.

Those with the 400m f4.5, what did you do re the tripod collar?

Last edited:
Mine just arrived today.
The collar itself does not come off but I've removed the foot as I intend to use this lens handheld.
The foot itself is not arcaswiss. If I decide to use it with (say) a monopod I'll affix a plate with 2 holes to the Nikon foot, which has 2 holes.
This is cheaper than buying a dedicated foot from (say) Kirk Enterprises,
However, if you have (say) a Kirk foot for the 70-200 2.8 Z or the 100-400 Z google tells me it will fit this one as well.

If they announce the 200-600 I'd get it as well but I don't wanna wait more than a week or two after getting the Z9 before I get a decent telephoto.

I'm trying to figure out batteries - whether I get the OEM one or get either ProMaster for £119.99 https://www.wilkinson.co.uk/promaster-battery-nikon-el-el18d/

or the Newell for £109 https://www.parkcameras.com/shop/newell-battery-en-el18d-for-nikon_j571814n

I know it's only £50/£60 saving but money saved means more new lenses..
I have a Power 2000 battery (~$70 US) that has worked flawlessly for over a year now. I also have a spare D5 battery or two (18b/c) as backup. And a lithium power block (jump starter) that can power/charge the Z9 via USB-C.

That said, I have never had to change a battery during a days outing uness I started with a fairly low battery in the first place.

True, I have seen most 3rd parties besides 3-4 brands have issues already. So yeah probably just worth the extra £60 for the OG one.

I'll need more in the long run but for now 2 should be okay. I sometimes am away from mains power for weeks, and while I do take portable power stations, battery banks and I have my car to charge things it's not the best setup. Easier to have a few batteries and not worry.
Not that I'm away from mains power very often but I use a Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and find it's excellent.
If I was like yourself and away for sometime I'd look at a portable solar charger as well.

But probably more significant IMO is the programmable buttons/interface. E.g. exposure compensation (or ISO) on the control ring, recall focus positions, etc.
E.g. when the Z9 decides to lock onto the BG (and it will) the ability to instantly pull the focus back to/towards minimum is extremely useful.

I have this issue with my Sony A7IV and my 200-600mm. It seems to be a common issue as I had similar issues with my R6 and Canon 100-400mm MKII. Such a facility would be a great addition, is this just available on Nikon Z?

I have a Power 2000 battery (~$70 US) that has worked flawlessly for over a year now. I also have a spare D5 battery or two (18b/c) as backup. And a lithium power block (jump starter) that can power/charge the Z9 via USB-C.

That said, I have never had to change a battery during a days outing uness I started with a fairly low battery in the first place.
Not that I'm away from mains power very often but I use a Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and find it's excellent.
If I was like yourself and away for sometime I'd look at a portable solar charger as well.

Thanks both,

I had considered an Anker Powercore for the PD but thinking Its probably better to upgrade my powerstation/get an extra one. There are now some with PD, whereas when I got my current one there wasn't much choice :p

A solar power charger is also a good idea.

Cameras due to arrive Thursday and I've ordered 2x Delkin Black 150GB. I'd like larger cards but god damn Cfexpress is expensive. I will need something else for video by a trip in May though. I'm thinking the AngelBird AV PRO CFexpress SE Type B 512GB would be OK for video? I will shoot 8k at times so i want the extra space :p

Thanks both,

I had considered an Anker Powercore for the PD but thinking Its probably better to upgrade my powerstation/get an extra one. There are now some with PD, whereas when I got my current one there wasn't much choice :p

A solar power charger is also a good idea.

Cameras due to arrive Thursday and I've ordered 2x Delkin Black 150GB. I'd like larger cards but god damn Cfexpress is expensive. I will need something else for video by a trip in May though. I'm thinking the AngelBird AV PRO CFexpress SE Type B 512GB would be OK for video? I will shoot 8k at times so i want the extra space :p

I've used the AB 512SE cards since getting my Z9 and they've been faultless.

512GB would be OK for video? I will shoot 8k at times so i want the extra space
512 is good for ~ 20 minutes of 8k.
I recommend a card reader that has a write protection switch, it prevents the computer OS from writing files/folders to the card (the current Angelbird reader has it, a couple others as well).

Last edited:
512 is good for ~ 20 minutes of 8k.
I recommend a card reader that has a write protection switch, it prevents the computer OS from writing files/folders to the card (the current Angelbird reader has it, a couple others as well).
Why is that important?

Mine just arrived today.
The collar itself does not come off but I've removed the foot as I intend to use this lens handheld.
The foot itself is not arcaswiss. If I decide to use it with (say) a monopod I'll affix a plate with 2 holes to the Nikon foot, which has 2 holes.
This is cheaper than buying a dedicated foot from (say) Kirk Enterprises,
However, if you have (say) a Kirk foot for the 70-200 2.8 Z or the 100-400 Z google tells me it will fit this one as well.
Was this useful?

Probably not so much now that they added the "full format" option to the Z9. But you don't really want a bunch of files/folders etc on the disks that the camera didn't put there.
The basic format in camera will remove anything that may have been put on the cards anyway, the full format is more of a belt and braces for new cards IMO. It's good practice to always format cards when using them anyway so I don't see an issue with a computer writing a file to it when connected, as I'd format any card put back in the camera anyway

Hi all,

Finally added another z6ii to my kit. First time i've managed to have 2 of the same camera for about 8 years which is a definite advantage when dual shooting events and weddings. I've moved from a d810 + z6ii so the d810 will be purely backup (I found i was constantly favouring the z6ii (although it did take me a little while to get used to it).

However, with the exception of the 14-30, i'm still using my F mount lenses and have just bought a second ftz II adaptor. The 85 1.4g is by far my favourite lens and having looked at reviews of the 1.8s version, I simply don't think the image quality is up to the 1.4g standard...particularly the bokeh which is obviously a big part of using an 85. Similarly the 35 1.4 is a lens i love and i have a sharp copy...just not feeling the need to get the S version!

One lens i may need to upgrade in the not too distant future though is my 24-70 2.8g as the zoom is becoming a bit stiff. The S version looks very tasty, i must say...

Are you sticking with the Z9 then Pete (as you have ordered the 85mm F1.2), as I thought you were going all in with the Fuji XH2(s) and selling the Z system off ?

I've been flitting between the two systems but I keep being pulled back to the Nikon kit. I guess I'm just used to the way it works so keep finding things that don't work the same and niggle at me. Honestly I thought it'd be 6months + before I'd end up with the 85 so had time to cancel if I switched. But it seems stock is good and everyone is getting the orders so it's on the way.

I'm still worried about Nikon and them not being able to provide a body other than a Z9 with decent AF. But I'm praying for a Z6iii announcement soon.

They are a couple of crackers Graham.

I don’t mind spiders generally, but I re-visit that opinion every time someone insists on getting out their macro lens. Some creatures were not made to be viewed up close :ROFLMAO:

Great shots though!

Any long exposure experts out there.

I've noticed on my Z7ii when I go to 60 seconds + on the extended shutter release the exposure indicator disappears and no other live view changes can be seen to adjust exposure accordingly on the screen.

Is this how it should be or am I being a bit thick and not understanding what's going on!

Have you got the latest firmware for lens and camera? AF on such a new lens should be awesome.

Any long exposure experts out there.

I've noticed on my Z7ii when I go to 60 seconds + on the extended shutter release the exposure indicator disappears and no other live view changes can be seen to adjust exposure accordingly on the screen.

Is this how it should be or am I being a bit thick and not understanding what's going on!
That's just the way it works...IDKW... I'm guessing it just runs out of range (ISO); or typically would, so they don't try.

Keep in mind that the preview of longer exposures is just a simulation.

Last edited:
That's just the way it works...IDKW... I'm guessing it just runs out of range (ISO); or typically would, so they don't try.

Keep in mind that the preview of longer exposures is just a simulation.
Seems odd but having looked at a couple of YouTube videos it seems it normal. Anything over 60 seconds you need to figure out exposure time accordingly and choose closest option.

Okay, So i am thinking of transitioning to the FF Z series, not sure which one at the moment, just trying to keep up to date with all the comments on this subject here and hoping for any pointers. Like should i sell my own equipment privately or go for a complete trade in with WEX or such like ?, trading in my Nikon 750 and lenses + my Sony a6000 and two lens.

Okay, So i am thinking of transitioning to the FF Z series, not sure which one at the moment, just trying to keep up to date with all the comments on this subject here and hoping for any pointers. Like should i sell my own equipment privately or go for a complete trade in with WEX or such like ?, trading in my Nikon 750 and lenses + my Sony a6000 and two lens.

Personally I'd say there are two sensible options.

1. Switch to Canon mirrorless
2. Buy a used Z6 and build up Z glass until the next gen of Nikon Z bodies comes out.

Oh and sell privately, my experience of the prices offered by WEX and MPB etc are just insulting.

Why are you thinking of selling up and moving to mirrorless? Have you used any of the Nikon mirrorless cameras?
What do you shoot?

Private sales will get you the most for your kit, but it's probably plateaued price wise and will unlikely lose any more over the next few years if you decided to wait like @PeteStewardson said for newer Z cameras. The current batch has been out for quite a while (excluding the Z9 released 16 months ago) and many including myself has found them wanting compared to the mirrorless competition or even Nikon DSLR's.

Last edited:
Is there any way to program the front buttons around the lens throat on the Z7 to duplicate the + (enlarge) and - (shrink) buttons on the back of the camera?
It would make using a manual focus lens easier.

Is there any way to program the front buttons around the lens throat on the Z7 to duplicate the + (enlarge) and - (shrink) buttons on the back of the camera?
Not sure - but that's a superb idea! I hadn't thought of that before, but reading your suggesting seems like a genius idea!

Nope... those functions are not available. But you can assign zoom (100%) on/off to a button. I have fn3 set to switch between DX/FX which gives a similar/lesser effect.

Last edited:
Back