Nikon Z* mirrorless

There's loads to pick from. The more expensive ones allow the camera to run at full speed, emptying the buffer almost instantaneously and allowing 8K recording of video, as well as being larger capacity.
So it depends on what you shoot, what you want from the camera and how much you're willing to spend.
I use Delkin Black cfexpress type b and a ProGrade UHS-II V90 sd card and have never had even so much as a hot card warning.

It’s important to study the specs of the Cf Express type B cards.
Delkin are highly recommended.
If you are doing lots of video it’s probably best to go for a .Delkin black - expensive but less prone to overheating.
Ive got a Delkin Power G4 (the G4 part is important) and I’m very happy with it for still photography.
Choose your mb size according to budget/needs.

Hi folks

Quick question. Can somebody recommend a decent memory card for the Z8?

I’ve not bought a memory card in years for the d800 and just wanted people’s experiences with them

Ta
For what use?
As soon as you start writing dual files (i.e. backup/raw+jpeg) the speed of the camera slows way down; even if writing to only one card. If you are using one of the compressed formats (and you really should) you can pretty much get away with running an older XQD and UHS SD cards.

If you are doing LOOONG bursts at 20fps, or recording 8k video, then better cards start to matter.

There's loads to pick from. The more expensive ones allow the camera to run at full speed, emptying the buffer almost instantaneously and allowing 8K recording of video, as well as being larger capacity.
So it depends on what you shoot, what you want from the camera and how much you're willing to spend.
I use Delkin Black cfexpress type b and a ProGrade UHS-II V90 sd card and have never had even so much as a hot card warning.

It’s important to study the specs of the Cf Express type B cards.
Delkin are highly recommended.
If you are doing lots of video it’s probably best to go for a .Delkin black - expensive but less prone to overheating.
Ive got a Delkin Power G4 (the G4 part is important) and I’m very happy with it for still photography.
Choose your mb size according to budget/needs.

For what use?
As soon as you start writing dual files (i.e. backup/raw+jpeg) the speed of the camera slows way down; even if writing to only one card. If you are using one of the compressed formats (and you really should) you can pretty much get away with running an older XQD and UHS SD cards.

If you are doing LOOONG bursts at 20fps, or recording 8k video, then better cards start to matter.
Thanks All

Mainly be shooting stills, portraits but hoping to do a bit more wildlife

I’ll have a look on Amazon….

I had a look through the Amazon Black Friday deals but didn't manage to find any suitable cards for the Z8 reduced but please post if you find something yourself.

Depends. If you want the absolute best performing card that will handle Z8 RAW video as well as the very best continued extended photo bursts without overheating (or at least for the longest time), then Prograde Cobalt CFExpress Type B cards seems to be favoured along with the Delkin Black cards - however you pay for the speed and performance (with a 650GB Cobalt card costing over £700, and even the 325GB card costing around £430 !). 8K 60P N-Raw Highest quality requires a bit rate of approx. 5780 Mbps (approx. 722MB/Sec)

If you don't need the 8K Raw or the absolute deepest photo buffer (but still very good), then In my Z9 (pretty much a Z8 but with twin CFExpress cards), I use 2 Angelbird Pro SE 512GB cards (which in the Z9/Z8 have a read speed internally of over 600mb/sec and a sustained read speed of 800mb/sec). In fact the fastest card tested by the site at the bottom, found that even the very fastest card only read in the Z9 at 700mb/sec with all the other good ones in the 600's. I haven't had any issues with buffering or heat warnings on the Z9 (but then it is a bigger camera) at all with the Angelbird cards, and the good news is they can be found around £125 for a 512gb card !.

With regards the SD card, then any good V90 card (Lexar, Prograde, Sony etc), will have more than enough speed for even 8k 25p (non Raw) 10 bit coming in at approx. 400 Mbps (which equates to only 50 MB/Sec - which all V90 cards should handle with aplomb.

As usual though, everyone will have their own experiences and favourite cards.

Anyone else pre-ordered Nikon Zf and waiting for it? :)

How to XQD cards stack up against the CF Express Type B cards. I bought 2 for the Z6ii/Z7ii but have since sold the Z7ii and replaced it with a Z8. If I want to shoot 20 frame bursts, do I need to replace the XDQ? my main concern is my SD cards as they are ancient.

Anyone else pre-ordered Nikon Zf and waiting for it? :)
There are plenty about from a quick look, nikon have a couple of the more exotic colour ones in stock as well. I would cancel however you have yours on order with and buy elsewhere treat it as an early christmas present to yourself :)

How to XQD cards stack up against the CF Express Type B cards. I bought 2 for the Z6ii/Z7ii but have since sold the Z7ii and replaced it with a Z8. If I want to shoot 20 frame bursts, do I need to replace the XDQ? my main concern is my SD cards as they are ancient.
Yes CF Express recommended. See a few post above as to which cards.
20fps soon fills up a card so you will need a fair number of GB.

Maybe... if you record HE* to a single (fast) XQD you can record about 3 seconds at 20fps. If you write HE* to two XQD's you can record ~ 2 seconds at 20fps. I usually use 20fps; but almost never for even a whole second. And I've switched to the smaller HE format as well (lossy)... I should test what I can get with that.

Last edited:
And I've switched to the smaller HE format as well (lossy)... I should test what I can get with that.
Recording HE files to a Lexar Pro XQD I was able to consistently get ~ 6 seconds at 20fps (avg 118 image burst). And at ~ 24MB ea the 64GB QD card will hold around 2,500 images... that's a lot of images for me. My only issue is that I can't find my XQD reader now...

That's a real annoyance in that my Sony XQD reader can't read CFExpress B cards, and my Angelbird CFExpress reader can't read XQD cards, and yet the cameras can read both ???

Use one of my Z9’s with an XQD an tother with CFExpress B, you can do 20 fps on the XQD but for a limited time where my Delkin black has never slowed due to the buffer. Obviously you can’t record NLog 8K etc on XQD cards, sometimes I forget about this when recording, although I have stopped recording 8K and NLOG as my computer has a fit lol
Hear a lot of great things about Prograde Cobalt cards and plan on buying a couple of 165 gig ones when available.

Would Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 170MB/s card be slowing down Zf? Like maybe in burst mode? Or would there be no issues?
Or should I get UHS-II card instead?

Last edited:
Would Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 170MB/s card be slowing down Zf? Like maybe in burst mode? Or would there be no issues?
Or should I get UHS-II instead?
I'd go for the UHS-II, it'll not hold the camera back, allow 4K video capture and be a bit future proof.
The Zf produces 26MB files in lossless compressed format, so at 11fps it'll need a decent write speed to clear the buffer.
Unfortunately I think the micro sd card slot is UHS-I, so remember if using it along side the SD card to duplicate images taken, it'll slow things down.
I use the Prograde UHS-II V90 300R in my Z8.

The Zfc doesn’t seem very popular on here as it’s not FF but I bought one in the BF goodness including the 16-50 and 50-250. Just received the lovely little 12-28 today and really pleased to have the FF equiv of 18-375 in such a small and lightweight package. (Not to mention cheap ! £274 for a 18-42 equiv lens!)
Solved 3 problems in one my adding an inexpensive half faux leather case from Amazon which has improved the grip, made the camera feel more substantial and protected that plasticky battery compartment. It also looks rather lovely too.

Surprised at how nice the EVF and rear screen are and the AF seems very snappy and sticky - not that I will challenge it too much !

Any other Z mount DX users on here ? I could do with a guide to the AF which has more options than my old camera !

Nice shot. Not yet had much chance to get out with my copy of this kit - hopefully soon.
That’s news. When did that happen. Thought you were satisfied with M43 ?

That’s news. When did that happen. Thought you were satisfied with M43 ?
Last month. It’s a long story. But in a moment of idleness I had been looking back at my images and realised that, for my eyes, I preferred the colours from my old Z6 to the latest from my OM5. More suited to subtle landscape shots, whereas the Oly seemed more suited to the brighter plumage of birds. Historically I had initially moved from the Z6, via Sony, which I found awkward physically, to m4/3 because of shoulder problems. But now, after surgical intervention, my shoulder is much improved. That removed the restriction on going heavy again. I didn’t, however, want CFE or XQD cards, and Nikon had an offer of the Z5/24-200 kit which dropped the price by nearly a quarter. LCE gave me a much better price for my Oly stuff than the likes of MPB, so I got the Nikon kit plus the cheapo 40mm and a bit of change, which I put towards a used 14-30m(again, LCE were prepared to negotiate on price). And here we are. May sound an illogical trip, but that’s me for you!

Last month. It’s a long story. But in a moment of idleness I had been looking back at my images and realised that, for my eyes, I preferred the colours from my old Z6 to the latest from my OM5. More suited to subtle landscape shots, whereas the Oly seemed more suited to the brighter plumage of birds. Historically I had initially moved from the Z6, via Sony, which I found awkward physically, to m4/3 because of shoulder problems. But now, after surgical intervention, my shoulder is much improved. That removed the restriction on going heavy again. I didn’t, however, want CFE or XQD cards, and Nikon had an offer of the Z5/24-200 kit which dropped the price by nearly a quarter. LCE gave me a much better price for my Oly stuff than the likes of MPB, so I got the Nikon kit plus the cheapo 40mm and a bit of change, which I put towards a used 14-30m(again, LCE were prepared to negotiate on price). And here we are. May sound an illogical trip, but that’s me for you!
I remember we both had the Z6 at the same time.
Often miss it.

I'm actually debating keeping my Z6 along with my Z8, but apart from low light capabilities, I don't really see a use for it....it doesn't bring in much second hand though.

Anyone using Nikon 26mm lens?
Do you like it? Is it good, imagine quality wise?
Just wanted to hear from actual users, as I saw all reviews etc

Last edited:
was going to ask you how you were getting on as I hadn't seen any photos yet but I'm sure you'll soon post something.
The weather has precluded me getting out with it. I’ve only made a dozen or so shots, just trying it out, certainly nothing worth publishing.

you missed the snow then? I only got three shots here which are also not worth publishing but here's one anyway from near home.

View attachment 408403
No, no snow. Just wet and murky, cold and miserable. Apart from that it's fine.

Back