Nikon Z* mirrorless

The Z8 is now a shade under 3K at Panamoz - where I have bought a lot of my stuff for some years including a Z6 kit and a D500.

With a mild touch of GAS I was considering this - I could just about get there selling the DSLR, Z6 and a few lenses I never use now but I had similar thoughts about getting a D850 some years ago

I gave up any serious attempt at bird/nature/ sports photography in 2019 and the little I do is with small sensor systems. Never do video and so on.
It looks like though the Z8 is a fine camera, nothing in its spec apart from the 45 mpx is of any use to me in fact. The Z6 is actually OK for me even in AF-C and the D500 could fill the capability gap until I get rid of it.

Might actually look for a good used Z7 - its a question of the ability to crop hard vs a small loss of DR at high isos.

One minor ( for me ) plus about the Z6/7 is that they are pretty small. Still not as convenient with longer lenses as a Nikon 1 or m43 but pretty good for WA to mild tele and I have started to use the Z6 with some small Samyang primes for an easy carry for general snapping. Obviously better low light than small sensor cameras. Also, I use the Z6 with Contax and other old glass and its a balanced pairing - like with the A7 I had.

Wonder if many feel the same way about their Z6/7 i or ii ?

Might be tempted again if they put an Expeed 7 into a Z7iii and some of the goodies on the ZF,

My feeling reading your post that the Z8 isn't worth it since you're going to be paying for a good number of features you're not planning on using particularly the stacked sensor. If you're just looking for better resolution then it sounds like the Z7 may be worth a look although I've not used the Z6 or Z7.

Size/weight is a tricky one because I am finding the Z8 bigger and heavier than I expected as I'm used to the A9 and the slightly bulkier D750, the Z8 is bigger again and it's quite noticeable in your hands. However despite that it's not so much bigger or heavier that it's going to affect my use and I expect I'll use it exactly the same way I use the smaller A9 so the Z8's size/weight doesn't bother me, if I'm needing to use a smaller camera I wouldn't use the A9 but usually the RX1r or some other cameras I have that are much smaller.

My feeling reading your post that the Z8 isn't worth it since you're going to be paying for a good number of features you're not planning on using particularly the stacked sensor. If you're just looking for better resolution then it sounds like the Z7 may be worth a look although I've not used the Z6 or Z7.

Size/weight is a tricky one because I am finding the Z8 bigger and heavier than I expected as I'm used to the A9 and the slightly bulkier D750, the Z8 is bigger again and it's quite noticeable in your hands. However despite that it's not so much bigger or heavier that it's going to affect my use and I expect I'll use it exactly the same way I use the smaller A9 so the Z8's size/weight doesn't bother me, if I'm needing to use a smaller camera I wouldn't use the A9 but usually the RX1r or some other cameras I have that are much smaller.
Just remembered - There is one aspect of the stacked sensor that is very useful but of very minority interest. The fast readout speed of 1/250 or better enables stacking of burst mode ES focus pulled macro/close up shots without the ghosting you get of twitchy subjects or hands due to rolling shutter effects. It’s impossible to do an a z6/7 ( or a7.x - I think ) where the readout rate is 1/15 or 1/30 or something ( have tried that ).
I am unwilling to burn a huge number of mechanical actuations on a z6 or d500 for that matter - have been trying with a d300s ( cheap ).

Actually Nikon 1 do 20fps ++ at 1/100 sec readout which is useable but one loses the 2-3 stop advantage of bright lenses/ shallow DoF for the stack. Some olympus also work - but not my old em5.1

Richard

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a Replacement Lens Foot for the Z 100-400mm / Z70-200mm.
I've been trying to find a Kirk LP-70 but no-one seems to stock them anymore in the UK.

Is the RRS version any good?

You can buy the Kirk direct from the USA. I bought mine from B&H Photo who sort out all the paperwork.
Just as easy as buying from UK but longer lead time.

I have also bought Hejnar feet direct from Hejnar in the USA. They attach to the lens with a bolt (screw?) which IMO is safer than the hand tightener that is on the Nikon and Kirk.
A spot of Loctite blue makes sure it doesn't come loose. The Wimberley foot attaches like this - I think Bob Rigby sell them.

Hejnar foot is as just as well made as the Kirk.

Also, if doing this buy plates with QD port(s) in case you want to go that way in future. (Wimberley does not have a QD port I think, but the other 2 do)

Can anyone recommend a Replacement Lens Foot for the Z 100-400mm / Z70-200mm.
I've been trying to find a Kirk LP-70 but no-one seems to stock them anymore in the UK.

Is the RRS version any good?
Found a couple on Amazon which are on my Christmas list

The iShoot one looks good for handholding as well as on monopod.

well after two years of not buying any photographic equipment, I finally decided to bankrupt myself with a second hand 100-400 S lens. Of course buying that almost forces me to trade my 24-70 for the 24-120 variant so there's no substantial gap. Quite apart from that, I found over and over again I either had out my 70-300 or my 24-70 and was in that grey area of too lazy to change lenses. With a 24-120, far more standard situations will be dealt with and the the 100-400 will be used for when a telephoto is really required such as distant mountain landscapes or other details or wildlife. Was out with the lens for the first time today and it's pretty stunning I have to say -- no comparison with the 70-300 AF-P (with adaptor of course on the Z6)

DSC_4094.jpg

I have the Sigma 100-400mm for Sony FE and it's the lens I use the most as I find it's a decent range and a good size and weight. I've been really tempted to get the Nikon version but waiting to see if Sigma release the 100-400mm lens for Z-mount.

I'd looked at the Sigma which is of course much cheaper but one of the whole points of the change was to get a native Z system lens. Neither the Sigma nor Tamron come into that category. Still, of course it's not impossible that one of them might release a native Z lens but I wouldn't hold my breath. At least the fact I bought second hand means if a really good much cheaper alternative came along, then I'd lose less on the exchange.

I'd looked at the Sigma which is of course much cheaper but one of the whole points of the change was to get a native Z system lens. Neither the Sigma nor Tamron come into that category. Still, of course it's not impossible that one of them might release a native Z lens but I wouldn't hold my breath. At least the fact I bought second hand means if a really good much cheaper alternative came along, then I'd lose less on the exchange.
Tamron do have a native Z lens
150-500mm

true -- but that lens is a good deal heavier (1.3 kg is my absolute limit as I'm already used to that) , slower, and starting at 150mm is not really what I'm after.

Last edited:
Took my brand new Z8 to Chatsworth house Christmas spectacular on Monday with the wife and friends. The house was stunning and the Z8 as expected, like a smaller lighter version of my Z9

Great images Andrew. How do you get images loaded onto the forum (and retaining their sharpness) without going via Flickr?

I totally agree with you, I wouldn't buy a non-native one for it and I'm hoping Sigma do release a native one but with no announcement nor many Sigma lenses in Z-mount it could be a long wait.

Last edited:
Great images Andrew. How do you get images loaded onto the forum (and retaining their sharpness) without going via Flickr?
To be honest Peter, I’m doing nothing special. Just uploading my images to Flickr, then pasting the BCCode with dimensions set as 1600 on the long side.

First ‘proper’ rumours of a potential Z6III on the way?

Am I correct in think that if I put a Nikon DX 24mm F1.7 on my Z7 I will in effect have 36mm F2.4?

Thanks. So the 40mm F2 is a better bet for Z7.
Hi Peter the 20 mega pixel size limit of the actual picture will remain the same no matter what dx lens you attach to it. But the focal length equivalent of the 40mm lens for example will become 60mm in dx mode. So if you want an equivalent to full frame of 35mm focal length the 24mm lens you mentioned would be perfect but only at 20 mega pixels and not the full 47 mega pixels that you would be used to shooting with full frame lenses. Hope that makes sense :)

Last edited:
Bit late to the party but I only have the f4 zooms and a 50/1.8s + sundry FX lenses and a trio of SamYangs via a ETZ21 for my Z6

Just bought a 105 MC for use with my Z6. Not only for macro but also as a mid tele.

No point in reiterating all the goodness spoken of this lens - it is a bit of a star.

I also have the Tamron sp90 f017, converted to Z, which I mainly use with a D500 but I read that it works very well with a faster AF system as on the Z8/9.

A quick side by side comparison suggests that on the Z6, the Tamron has slightly better AF-C at 1:3, and better VR/VC

The Tamron ( on a D500) has better AF-C at about 1:2 than the Nikon does on a Z6. Nothing unexpected here according to the reviews.

Shame that Tamron discontinued this and many other DSLR lenses and not ported them to Z.

My understanding is that you will have a 36mm but at F1.7 in light capturing terms but with a depth of field akin to F2.4
The resulting DOF really depends on how you are using the lens... if you increase the subject distance to compensate for the reduced FOV (same subject size) then the DOF increases ~ 1 stop (f/2.4). This is due to the reduced magnification caused by the increased subject distance.

If instead you are using the crop factor to compensate for a lack of FL (from the same distance) then the DOF reduces ~ 1 stop. This is due to the increased magnification (enlargement) required of the smaller remaining sensor area for the same size output. This factor also exists in the first case, but the increase in subject distance has 2x the effect on the DOF in the opposite direction. i.e. a 50% increase in the subject distance is a 2 stop increase, minus 1 stop for cropping, leaves 1 stop increased DOF in the first case.

It doesn't actually matter if the crop is done in post, or if it is done in camera (DX mode/sensor).

Bit late to the party but I only have the f4 zooms and a 50/1.8s + sundry FX lenses and a trio of SamYangs via a ETZ21 for my Z6

Just bought a 105 MC for use with my Z6. Not only for macro but also as a mid tele.

No point in reiterating all the goodness spoken of this lens - it is a bit of a star.

I also have the Tamron sp90 f017, converted to Z, which I mainly use with a D500 but I read that it works very well with a faster AF system as on the Z8/9.

A quick side by side comparison suggests that on the Z6, the Tamron has slightly better AF-C at 1:3, and better VR/VC

The Tamron ( on a D500) has better AF-C at about 1:2 than the Nikon does on a Z6. Nothing unexpected here according to the reviews.

Shame that Tamron discontinued this and many other DSLR lenses and not ported them to Z.

Its called sod's law:

Mostly used the Tamron SP 90 F017 Macro for Nikon DSLR ( Z converted ) on a D500 but have tried it a few times on my Z6 - worked OK-ish.

Thought I would do a side by side of the Tamron vs the 105 MC on a Z6 just for fun - Today it just worked for about 10 mins then went bananas - cycling, error messages etc etc.

Back on the D500 - worked flawlessly again. Back and forth still same.

Cleaned contacts and so on and so on

Did it know that I just bought the 105 MC and so its days as a Z macro were over ? :)

One other slight annoyance is that I part ex'd a second F017 ( not Z converted ) that I had as backup - for the 105 MC. Had I found out the issue a few days ago I would have shifted the Z converted one instead.

[ I am not a huge fan of Tamron's software engineering: - issues with compatibility or not with the Nikon 1 / FT1 - the Z predecessor - are legion and they had issues with the FTZ early on. Have generally shifted to Sigma or OEM or MF for anything I want to put to a Z now. ]

Richard

Last edited:
I've bitten the bullet and ordered a Z6, 24-70 f4, FTZ and a Sigma 105 macro. I'll be listing my DSLR kit shortly. I was going to get a Z6ii, but it's a lot extra for not much gain (for me)

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Z6 AF, but from what I've seen the latest firmware has sorted it out and brought it almost on par with the Z6ii. It's amazing the wrong view you can get by watching YT videos about release day products. There are nowhere near as many YT videos about the cameras firmware updates, even when they fix big things.

Even before the updates I was impressed as AF is my least favorite thing about my D7100, that and the high ISO performance.

I'm very excited about going full frame too as I've only done that with film before.

The Z6 is absolutely fine imo and a bargain !

Thought about a z7 for the extra mpx but am sticking to the z6 at the moment

AF with fw 3.5 is very good - still short of a D500/D850/Z8 but very useable

I got a Z6 /FTZ / 24-70/4 kit in 2019 -added a 14-30/4 and a 50/1,8 s

Just got a 105 MC but I read that the Sigma is fine on Z.

Very happy with my kit

You will notice the better noise profile of the Z6 vs anything else.
Enjoy!

Ps had a d7100 - replaced with a D500

Last edited:
@piper , thanks, that's very encouraging to hear.
The eye detection is what I'm interested in. But I doubt any camera would 100% keep up with my kids.

The Sigma 50mm is my fave lens for flower shots on DX but is screw drive do won't AF with the FTZ. I didn't find any 75mm alternative and thought the Nikon 50mm MC would be too wide, and the 105 MC too big and expensive. So the Sigma it is. I used to have the Sigma 150mm macro, but on DX that was too long for me.

The eye detection is what I'm interested in. But I doubt any camera would 100% keep up with my kids.
There are many cameras (+lenses) that would keep up close to 100% tbh
No such thing as a perfect camera of course but these days there are cameras where human eye detection is mostly a solved problem and if you are not able to keep up that's mostly user issue than the camera.

Also have active kids :)

There are many cameras (+lenses) that would keep up close to 100% tbh
No such thing as a perfect camera of course but these days there are cameras where human eye detection is mostly a solved problem and if you are not able to keep up that's mostly user issue than the camera.

Also have active kids :)
That may be true. But in Nikon mirrorless land in my budget the Z6 will have to do. And if it's half as good as the best then it's twice as good as I'm used to.

Back