Nikon Z* mirrorless

lovely rich tones and a nice lead-in on the first one. Looks pretty sharp as well (although can't be sure without full res.)
Thanks. It prints up well at A3. I'm grudgingly liking this lens, although on the first shot I would have appreciated a wider aperture than f6.3.

I have a question regarding VR on the Z8. is there a time when VR should be turned off? I shoot hand held/loose tripod head for wildlife but use a locked up tripod for landscape photos.

I used to turn VR off if I was locked up on a tripod. If shooting hand held or on a loose tripod head (mainly telephoto lens for wildlife) VR would be on.

is that still the case or can VR be left on all the time?

I leave my VR on all the time, in sport mode as the frame jumps around when in normal mode which annoys the life out of me.
From the manual.
  • Vibration reduction may be unavailable with some lenses.
  • We recommend that you wait for the image in the display to stabilize before shooting.
  • When [Normal] is selected for lenses that support vibration reduction, the image in the viewfinder may jiggle before the shutter is released, but this is a natural consequence of how vibration reduction is performed and does not indicate a malfunction. [Sport] or [Off] can be used should you find the motion distracting.
  • [Normal] or [Sport] is recommended for panning shots. In [Normal] and [Sport] modes, vibration reduction applies only to motion that is not part of the pan. If the camera is panned horizontally, for example, vibration reduction will be applied only to vertical shake.
  • [Normal] and [Sport] are also recommended if the camera is mounted on a tripod or monopod. Note, however, that [Off] may be a better choice with some tripods depending on shooting conditions. Settings may vary from lens to lens; consult the lens documentation for more information.
  • If an F mount lens with a vibration reduction switch is attached via an optional FTZ II/FTZ mount adapter, [Vibration reduction] will be grayed out and unavailable. Use the lens switch for vibration reduction.

I leave my VR on all the time, in sport mode as the frame jumps around when in normal mode which annoys the life out of me.
From the manual.
  • Vibration reduction may be unavailable with some lenses.
  • We recommend that you wait for the image in the display to stabilize before shooting.
  • When [Normal] is selected for lenses that support vibration reduction, the image in the viewfinder may jiggle before the shutter is released, but this is a natural consequence of how vibration reduction is performed and does not indicate a malfunction. [Sport] or [Off] can be used should you find the motion distracting.
  • [Normal] or [Sport] is recommended for panning shots. In [Normal] and [Sport] modes, vibration reduction applies only to motion that is not part of the pan. If the camera is panned horizontally, for example, vibration reduction will be applied only to vertical shake.
  • [Normal] and [Sport] are also recommended if the camera is mounted on a tripod or monopod. Note, however, that [Off] may be a better choice with some tripods depending on shooting conditions. Settings may vary from lens to lens; consult the lens documentation for more information.
  • If an F mount lens with a vibration reduction switch is attached via an optional FTZ II/FTZ mount adapter, [Vibration reduction] will be grayed out and unavailable. Use the lens switch for vibration reduction.

I read that in the manual. It’s the bit that says VR on when camera mounted on a tripod but it may be a better choice with some tripods depending on shooting conditions for VR to be off.

Why some tripods? It gives no clue why ‘some tripods’.

Possibly if it's a rock solid tripod with no vibration, then VR off will be fine.
I've used a monopod and tripod and kept it switched on both times without any noticeable problems.
In the DSLR days you switched it off while on a tripod or above 1/2000th sec.

Possibly if it's a rock solid tripod with no vibration, then VR off will be fine.
I've used a monopod and tripod and kept it switched on both times without any noticeable problems.
In the DSLR days you switched it off while on a tripod or above 1/2000th sec.
With Nikon dslr’s I always had it off on a locked up tripod. I was just wondering if it’s the same with the Z mirrorless cameras.

With Nikon dslr’s I always had it off on a locked up tripod. I was just wondering if it’s the same with the Z mirrorless cameras.
I always have my VR off on the Z7ii when I’m using a tripod. Can’t see why you’d use it and the Nikon manual makes no sense to me.

I always have my VR off on the Z7ii when I’m using a tripod. Can’t see why you’d use it and the Nikon manual makes no sense to me.
I’ve tried leaving it off and on.
I can’t see any difference.
Only in a studio with a broadcast-grade tripod can you be reasonably certain of absolute stability
Thanks. The general consensus seems to be leave it on unless your absolutely certain there will be no chance of any movement like @Stephen L says.

Do we think all this chatter and rumoured spec's being released bout a new Z6 III means that's it's announcement is imminent by Nikon ?

Do we think all this chatter and rumoured spec's being released bout a new Z6 III means that's it's announcement is imminent by Nikon ?
There are a lot of semi-official sources who seem to think so, eg, Grays of Westminster.

As it's been a slow week on the Z thread, I thought I'd post this.

For those that have (or have had a Z8), what do you think are it's only bad (not necessarily bad but not perfect) points ? I'm just curious what people think ?

I've only had mine since mid December, so still learning it, but so far my only "wish" list would be:
  • A bit smaller and lighter - I know this is impossible and to be fair I've got used to it now, but when I pick up my Z7 II it reminds me how small and light Z bodies can be (albeit not with the feature set the Z8 has).

• Don't like the cover flaps over the mic and headphone socket as to have one of them open it exposes the HDMI interface (which is combined into the same cover), and in wet weather I'm always worried that water will get in there ?

• Still wish that Nikon would separate totally Video from Photos. By that I mean if you are shooting still images and have you camera set for Aperture priority, and say F8 1/60 sec, that when you flick the switch across to Video, it remembers your last settings (which might be manual mode, wide open and 1/250 sec. Other manufacturers can do it (my Olympus bodies for instance), but not Nikon, and the menu banks don't seem to give me what I want. As there is no PASM dial on the Z8 (just a button), I can't see why it can't be done in software.

• The IBIS is good for stills, but still just OK for Video's (not tried the ZF which is supposed to be much better), especially when trying to walk slowly and film at the same time, but again I think I've been spoiled by Micro four thirds.

• Missing the dedicated Bird AF subject detection mode from my Z9 (but I know that's supposed to be coming in firmware later this spring) ?

• Not sure why the slow motion video modes are missing in the Z9 & Z8 (but are there in the other Z bodies), sure you can shoot at 100 or 120fps in camera and slow it down in software, but you can't gauge it in camera or play it back in slow motion in camera ?
None of the above are dealbreakers, and some are fairly minor, but it would just make (for me at least), a brilliant body phenomenal and almost perfect. To be fair even with the above, the Z8 (and Z9), are probably the best and most feature laden cameras I've ever owned.

What about you.

Last edited:
To be honest, even with the lowly (?) Z5 and its measly (!) 24 megapixels, is more than adequate for my purposes. I have zero interest in video, and the addition of more gizmos/features adds confusion to my addled brain. The same went for my Olympuses. It’s just a pity that I can’t simply delete the features I don’t and will never use from the menus. The only wish is for the IBIS of the new OM1ii. But this is only my selfish view.

I'd like the Z8 lighter but not smaller. Possible if they didn't need to dissipate heat for 8K/4K120?
The port flaps are terrible, but thankfully I don't open them often.
The jumping/jerking of the ibis when not in sport mode is off putting when trying to place a single point or pin point on a subject. Never noticed this due to the blackout on the Z7II.
Better battery life, while not terrible, it could be improved.
The multi angle screen is handy but there's bound to have been a simpler/easier method.

The bird AF will be a welcome update, delaying it for so long in what is essentially the same hardware is really only to maintain differential between Z8/Z9 and allow an annoucement in a lull of information.
Although I'd maybe have used the focus trap only a handful of times, them pulling it from the Z8 was annoying after stating it'd come to it.
The A9III fps boost feature is one I'd like to see come to the Z8, along with RAW pre-capture. Both of these are perfectly possible I feel.

They made a fantastic camera in the Z8 and as above shows, nothing of major concern. New features that come to other models and brands will always be nice to have added, but Nikon will be looking to the Z8II feature set improvements, so will rightly hold back many that could come to the Z8.

I still have an old SB-900 flash and wondering is it worth getting something newer? It has been mostly working fine until recently it seems to be draining power quicker from the batteries than it should be which I thought was down to a faulty battery or two but they're working fine in other devices and a different set of batteries are doing the same.

I still have an old SB-900 flash and wondering is it worth getting something newer? It has been mostly working fine until recently it seems to be draining power quicker from the batteries than it should be which I thought was down to a faulty battery or two but they're working fine in other devices and a different set of batteries are doing the same.

I could not get my godox to fire on camera on my z6ii. Not sure if it is a user error or a problem with the flash.

Sb800 works fine on the z6ii, and godox works fine on d750.

So not sure where the problem is.

Hopefully others can confirm what they use in the z bodies.

Thank you

I could not get my godox to fire on camera on my z6ii. Not sure if it is a user error or a problem with the flash.

Sb800 works fine on the z6ii, and godox works fine on d750.

So not sure where the problem is.

Hopefully others can confirm what they use in the z bodies.

Thank you
I'd start by upgrading the FW on the Godox. That would be the usual thing.

I bought an Esddi flash from Amazon a few year ago for my 750 and it worked great. I tried it on my Z6ii the other week and to my surprise it worked fine. I would have thought a Godox would be the same as they are reputed to be one of the better non Nikon flash guns.

I bought an Esddi flash from Amazon a few year ago for my 750 and it worked great. I tried it on my Z6ii the other week and to my surprise it worked fine. I would have thought a Godox would be the same as they are reputed to be one of the better non Nikon flash guns.

Godox work fine on Z cameras, but they sometimes need to have the FW updated. My V1 didn't work when I moved to the Z line but after updating the FW in it it's worked fine since.

Last edited:
Photography Life have finally got their review up for the 400mm f4.5, one I've been waiting for as I'm curious as to how it performs by the numbers.

The interesting observation, going by these numbers, is that the 400mm f4.5 is the least sharp lens I own!

Not sure wether this shows the strength of the Z mount being so much bigger, or if it shows that telephoto lens design is harder than you think (or a combination of the two), but my f2.8 zoom lenses are all sharper than a (exotic?) telephoto prime! Imagine saying that back in the days of the F mount!

Photography Life have finally got their review up for the 400mm f4.5, one I've been waiting for as I'm curious as to how it performs by the numbers.

The interesting observation, going by these numbers, is that the 400mm f4.5 is the least sharp lens I own!

Not sure wether this shows the strength of the Z mount being so much bigger, or if it shows that telephoto lens design is harder than you think (or a combination of the two), but my f2.8 zoom lenses are all sharper than a (exotic?) telephoto prime! Imagine saying that back in the days of the F mount!

I've given up even thinking about it these days. Is one lens sharper than another? Who cares they're all so sharp now it's fairly irrelevant. It's the look you get now. I mean the 85/1.8s lens is sharp as anything, but I hated the look which is why the 85/1.2 is so good, it just has a nicer look. The 400/4.5 is brilliant at what it does, it's a very compact and affordable telephoto prime.

I think I know the answer but is it possible (Z5 but probably others) to display the histogram AND the level simultaneously in the EVF?

After using the Z9 and Z8, it's still a big bugbear of mine that when I use my Z7 II, it's one or the other, and even then, the horizontal horizon isn't the elegant version(s) that the aforementioned cameras now use, and covers a large part of the screen.

I still use my SB-800s (3) and an SB600 with my Z9.
They work well with the camera especially when powered by ENELOOP batteries.

Sorry in advance for being lazy and not reading the z6ii manual.

Anyone know how I can get the af icon to get to the centre at the press of a button?

Hope the question makes sense.

Thank you

Has anyone used Cotswold Cameras to order from before, I appreciate not strictly a Nikon Z question but it is for Nikon Z lenses.

Has anyone used Cotswold Cameras to order from before, I appreciate not strictly a Nikon Z question but it is for Nikon Z lenses.
No, but I understand they are “grey” suppliers, if that bothers you, and warranty is by them and not by the manufacturer. That’s according to their own website.

No, but I understand they are “grey” suppliers, if that bothers you, and warranty is by them and not by the manufacturer. That’s according to their own website.
Saving money as a freelance bothers me more ;) spoken to them about my warranty concerns even though the lenses are mostly bulletproof.

A few threads on here about them if you look.
My recollection is mixed reviews.

I have, recently bought a Sony 20-70mm f4 and I can't fault my experience. First copy had decentering, Cotswolds replaced it no questions, turnaround was only a few days, and they refunded the postage returns.

Updates aren't as good as Panamoz, but apart from that my experience was very good.

Back