Nikon Z* mirrorless

Many thanks. Yes, like I say, sometimes I forget how sharp this lens is. Sure it's not a Z mount S Line lens, and it's "only" and F mount, but just a few years ago, it's the lens that every Nikon wildlife photographer wanted. I've had mine about 4 years and it's so easy to carry (more so than my new 180-600 which doesn't quite fit in my regular day backpack). :(

Here's one from the same session of the same bird but from a different angle, it had just started to rain and got very overcast all of a sudden.

WOW, fantastic photo.
Is this handheld with that 500mm?

Yup, all handheld.

Many thanks. Yes, like I say, sometimes I forget how sharp this lens is. Sure it's not a Z mount S Line lens, and it's "only" and F mount, but just a few years ago, it's the lens that every Nikon wildlife photographer wanted. I've had mine about 4 years and it's so easy to carry (more so than my new 180-600 which doesn't quite fit in my regular day backpack). :(

Here's one from the same session of the same bird but from a different angle, it had just started to rain and got very overcast all of a sudden.

After reading reviews of the 400 f4.5 I’m now considering the 100-400 Z for the versatility of a zoom and potentially the 500mm pf as a longer wildlife lens. The 500 pf by all accounts was a stunning lens that performed far above its price point.

Always wanted a 500pf and I think it may be my next purchase once I move on my Sony 135mm f/1.8 GM. Then after that a z9 is hopefully on the horizon.

The 500mm PF and a Z8 or Z9 is a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
Had 5 minutes today to snap something in the garden with my new 70-180, and I really like it. Please forgive the horrible composition etc, just wanted to get something taken while it was light.

Taken at 180mm, f/2.8, and focus was on the tip of the bud in the centre (although it was probably moving a little in the wind). JPG straight out of the camera with no sharpening/other processing.

DSC_1836 by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

And a 100% crop:

DSC_1836 crop by Chris Willetts, on Flickr

Anyone buying or bought new Viltrox 20mm for Z?

Does anyone use the Kase 82mm magnetic filters with the 14-30mm f4 lens? I’ve noticed Kase recommend the 95mm filters so you can stack filters but I’m wondering if the 82mm filters will not vignette with only one filter (I can’t see me using both a polariser and an ND filter at the same time with an UWA lens).

The 82mm filters are slightly cheaper than the 95mm sets and accessories hence why thinking if the 82mm would be enough.

Does anyone use the Kase 82mm magnetic filters with the 14-30mm f4 lens? I’ve noticed Kase recommend the 95mm filters so you can stack filters but I’m wondering if the 82mm filters will not vignette with only one filter (I can’t see me using both a polariser and an ND filter at the same time with an UWA lens).

The 82mm filters are slightly cheaper than the 95mm sets and accessories hence why thinking if the 82mm would be enough.
You’ll probably find a slight vignette at 14mm, especially if you’re stacking filters (ie ND & CPL).

I have an 82mm K&F magnetic filter set and they do this. The issue is gone by 16mm, so it depends if you’re intent on 14mm.

The problem for me is the 95mm is quite a bit more in size, especially when used on other zooms which have 72mm/77mm filter thread.

You’ll probably find a slight vignette at 14mm, especially if you’re stacking filters (ie ND & CPL).

I have an 82mm K&F magnetic filter set and they do this. The issue is gone by 16mm, so it depends if you’re intent on 14mm.

The problem for me is the 95mm is quite a bit more in size, especially when used on other zooms which have 72mm/77mm filter thread.
If it’s only up to 16mm that’s not so bad.

that’s a good point about filter size. I will also use it with the 24-200 which is only 67mm. With the 67-77mm adapter on the 24-200 it’s not so bad. a 67-95mm adaptor would be 14mm either side. thats quite a difference compared to 67-82mm which would be 8mm either side (only 3mm wider than 77mm filters).

Last edited:
Hi All. I have just returned from a week trip to sLOVEnia.
The LOVE is in the name and very true, such scenery/Churches and Castles.
The People are really friendly and most speak English which is a BIG plus.
Here is a few from last week.
I`m sure you may recognize some.

Bled Castle
Bled Castle with a Mountain view by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Bled lake Church
Lake Bled Church by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

St. Martina Parish Church

Church below Bled Castle by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Catholic church of Saint Primus and Felician 3
Catholic church of Saint Primus and Felician 3 by Graham Elliott, on Flickr
Small lake Pump House

Lake pump house by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Hi All. I have just returned from a week trip to sLOVEnia.
The LOVE is in the name and very true, such scenery/Churches and Castles.
The People are really friendly and most speak English which is a BIG plus.
Here is a few from last week.
I`m sure you may recognize some.

Lovely set Graham

Great images Graham. Was it an organised tour?
Hi Peter.
No, it was my partial anniversary present to my wife and a nice way to get some classics in at the same time.
Well worth it though :)

ZF + 50mm Voigtlander APO Lanthar, MF is a joy on the ZF with the peaking and subject detection not to mention IBIS, this lens and body is a great combo and one that seems to be getting very popular out there.

DSC_0127 by Total Photo, on Flickr
I understand that the Zf ergonomics lend themselves more to primes than zooms. Have you tried any zooms with it?

Ok strange question, we noted a strange thing happening on my wife’s Z6II. She said her battery had died after taking just a a few shots, now this can happen I know but this is the strange thing, now the display on the top was black and not showing anything when looking through the EVF, but removing the lens cap made the camera operate showing a display again on the top and the EVF showing as it should. Anyone came across this?

Oops! I was just casually browsing Panamoz, as you do, and a strange thing happened which I can best describe (to my wife) as a system bug common to Mac computers. A Zf body fell into my basket. Despite all attempts, I simply could not remove it and reluctantly had to give them my PayPal id. Of course, when it arrives I shall immediately return it. :rolleyes:
@trevorbray , I've been told this happens to you on occasions. Have you managed to solve the issue?

Oops! I was just casually browsing Panamoz, as you do, and a strange thing happened which I can best describe (to my wife) as a system bug common to Mac computers. A Zf body fell into my basket. Despite all attempts, I simply could not remove it and reluctantly had to give them my PayPal id. Of course, when it arrives I shall immediately return it. :rolleyes:
@trevorbray , I've been told this happens to you on occasions. Have you managed to solve the issue?
Yes it’s happened quite unexpectedly several times. Never found the cause…

Oh !! Congratulations, let’s call it serendipity.

Do I get the blame for this one ?

Circular Polarising Filter.
Is it ok, or even beneficial, to use these on my 14-30mm.

I was reading that filters can be problematic on W/A lenses.
Also would stepping up a 77mm CPL to 82mm work satisfactorily, or would I get some of the filter in shot?

Back