Nikon Z* mirrorless

Circular Polarising Filter.
Is it ok, or even beneficial, to use these on my 14-30mm.

I was reading that filters can be problematic on W/A lenses.
Also would stepping up a 77mm CPL to 82mm work satisfactorily, or would I get some of the filter in shot?
The problem arises when using it to control skies, as you will see a darkening effect from left to right.
Good for reducing glare/reflections from, say, wet leaves.
You would certainly get vignetting putting a 77mm filter on a 82mm lens. Even an 82mm lens needs a slim mount.

Oops! I was just casually browsing Panamoz, as you do, and a strange thing happened which I can best describe (to my wife) as a system bug common to Mac computers. A Zf body fell into my basket. Despite all attempts, I simply could not remove it and reluctantly had to give them my PayPal id. Of course, when it arrives I shall immediately return it. :rolleyes:
@trevorbray , I've been told this happens to you on occasions. Have you managed to solve the issue?
actually I had the opposite problem with my Df. I bought it locally from Calumet and told my wife I was curious but almost certainly won't keep it as it had a 14 day approval window. She said it looked gorgeous and I must definitely keep it. She said she might even try it out herself some time. So I kept it but her interest in photography has reverted to the occasional phone record shot despite having had a Nikon film camera back in the day and a year or so with an Olympus Pen when she was briefly quite enthusiastic.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you hate the Zf as otherwise enthusiasm can be dangerously infectious..... :oops: :$

actually I had the opposite problem with my Df. I bought it locally from Calumet and told my wife I was curious but almost certainly won't keep it as it had a 14 day approval window. She said it looked gorgeous and I must definitely keep it. She said she might even try it out herself some time. So I kept it but her interest in photography has reverted to the occasional phone record shot despite having had a Nikon film camera back in the day and a year or so with an Olympus Pen when she was briefly quite enthusiastic.

Anyway, I sincerely hope you hate the Zf as otherwise enthusiasm can be dangerously infectious..... :oops: :$
Just wish I could get Ro interested in photography. Apart from her phone. Actually no, I’m glad she isn’t interested. Could blow my cover.

The Z9 is going to the moon...

this one is certainly the best, I would say as the light really makes it.
Thanks David. It was the only day that the light/clouds worked together.

I know I already commented this photo, but oh man, I love that first one. I gave it a star on flickr, such a nice photo. Love it :)
And made with my favourite camera! :D
Thanks very much. I can get it printed, framed and delivered for under £10k if you love it that much lol

A quick outing late morning to test out the 100-400 Z lens I've just picked up off here. Quite impressed really. It will be great to get out with it more over the next few months.

Woburn Red Deer by Rob Cain, on Flickr

I'm not sure exactly how I missed this but I thought the Z8 was similar to the D8xx series with 36MP. I'm pleasantly surprised to find its actually 45MP as it leaves more room for cropping wildlife photos.

I know this is probably a difficult one for anyone to answer, but following the recent V2.0 firmware update for the Z8 I was doing a lot of wildlife shooting using the 4k 120fps option, and really like the new option in the latest firmware for slowing the playback speed for videos when reviewing. I know it's a minor thing, but I was shooting today with my Z9 and really missed that feature. Does anyone think that there's another firmware update in the wings for the Z9 that will add any missing features that the Z8 already has ?

Yesterday was a really awful day weather wise, Heavy rain, strong winds and a Orange warning.
Today, Totally different, No wind and nearly wall to wall Sun, Just how I like it and with 16 degs so I was determined to get out there with the Z8 and Z100-400 S teamed with some extension tubes.
Here is the results.
I think I`ll be out again with this setup.
TBH, I couldn`t get sharper images with the Sigma 105 so I am happy with the results.

Cleopatra (Gonepteryx cleopatra) by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Speckled wood by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Small White (Pieris rapae) by Graham Elliott, on Flickr

Anybody have a rough idea what a 400mm f4.5 lens is worth, I bought it from Wex just before the price drops and paid nearly £3.2k for it....I haven't been used to primes for years since my 300mm f4 AFS lens on the D750. after that I have been using the 200-500mm and 150-600mm lenses. When I bought the prime the 180-600mm wasn't realised and I was way down the waiting list.

Also has anyone used the 400mm prime with 1.4TC along with the 180-600mm, if so what are your thoughts?
Thanks

Been reading and watching UTube vids on the Z9 v Z8

I'd use the camera 90% for birds and wildlife - (I'd continue using my D850 for all the other stuff)

It gets confusing more I read

is the Z9 just too heavy?- I'm used to the D700 and D850, but I am now "getting on a bit" being in my late 70's

I have lots of Nikon high quality glass - 600mm f4, 500mm PF, 300mmPF and 300VR f2.8 plus the 24-70 and 100mm f1.45, etc., etc, so I don't intend buying any "Z" lens and would therefor use the FTZ adaptor

I fancy a Z9, but I seem to think that the Z8 would be more suitable for me

I have both, and TBH, thought the Z9 would remain my main wildlife camera (integrated grip for bigger lenses, better battery life etc), but in reality I find myself using and enjoying the Z8 much more.

For the first time ever in 65 years of photography I’ve had a camera fail on me. It’s the Z5 which I bought new from LCE last November. Basically the body has lost the ability (or will) to communicate with any lens. Spoke to Nikon service centre and, as expected, it’s got to go away. Just as well my ZF should arrive tomorrow. Hope this is just a glitch and not a reflection of Nikon’s reliability.

Been reading and watching UTube vids on the Z9 v Z8

I'd use the camera 90% for birds and wildlife - (I'd continue using my D850 for all the other stuff)

It gets confusing more I read

is the Z9 just too heavy?- I'm used to the D700 and D850, but I am now "getting on a bit" being in my late 70's

I have lots of Nikon high quality glass - 600mm f4, 500mm PF, 300mmPF and 300VR f2.8 plus the 24-70 and 100mm f1.45, etc., etc, so I don't intend buying any "Z" lens and would therefor use the FTZ adaptor

I fancy a Z9, but I seem to think that the Z8 would be more suitable for me
I now have a Z8 and I love it, way too many things in the menus to think about but it is way sharper than my Z6 ii. I can`t tell you it`s a better Camera than the Z9 as I don`t own one and I have only seen one in life but it is heavier than the Z8 but the Z9`s battery is what many people like about the Z9.
The lens you have will work beautifully with the Z8 or Z9 in fact better than you think from what I have read/heard.
Go for it.

I now have a Z8 and I love it, way too many things in the menus to think about but it is way sharper than my Z6 ii. I can`t tell you it`s a better Camera than the Z9 as I don`t own one and I have only seen one in life but it is heavier than the Z8 but the Z9`s battery is what many people like about the Z9.
The lens you have will work beautifully with the Z8 or Z9 in fact better than you think from what I have read/heard.
Go for it.

Hi Graham, thanks - I think that I will go for the Z8 when we get back from S Africa

As you probably gathered we moved back to the UK permanently from France in 2019 just before Brexit - we had many good years in France, we bought the house in 1988, spent all the kids holiday there and then moved permanently there in 2010, before coming back to the UK in 2019 - we usually get back to France at least once a year to see friends, but we have all got somewhat older.

You are taking some really attractive shots with your Z8.

Last edited:
Hi Graham, thanks - I think that I will go for the Z8 in the next couple of months

You are taking some really attractive shots with your Z8.
Thank you Bill :)
I do like to take various types of photos and not just one genre.

Go for it.
Wow.. I think my Z6ii with it's 2470 f4 is very sharp. How do you find the z8 battery life, as some say it's poor?

For the first time ever in 65 years of photography I’ve had a camera fail on me. It’s the Z5 which I bought new from LCE last November. Basically the body has lost the ability (or will) to communicate with any lens. Spoke to Nikon service centre and, as expected, it’s got to go away. Just as well my ZF should arrive tomorrow. Hope this is just a glitch and not a reflection of Nikon’s reliability.
Let’s hope it’s a glitch. Have you bought the Smallrig grip for the Zf. It will be beneficial.

Let’s hope it’s a glitch. Have you bought the Smallrig grip for the Zf. It will be beneficial.
Bought the Neewer version as apparently the grip material is better, and it is marginally lighter and cheaper. And it’s got a red stripe :banana:

Bought the Neewer version as apparently the grip material is better, and it is marginally lighter and cheaper. And it’s got a red stripe :banana:
Better get a red shutter button then :ROFLMAO: If you do, don't use the o ring with the JJC one, won't fit, have to check it's still there periodically, apparently the o ring is only for Fuji.

Better get a red shutter button then :ROFLMAO: If you do, don't use the o ring with the JJC one, won't fit, have to check it's still there periodically, apparently the o ring is only for Fuji.
It came with a gold one! But I think I have a small stock of buttons and o rings from my Fuji days. Everything is laid out ready, waiting for a body. :runaway:

EDIT just found out that the camera has made it as far as Paris so far.

Last edited:
Eugh, hope you get it sorted quickly.

Yay for the Zf! Hopefully will be with you soon. I’ll be interested in your view. I got really excited at the prospect of the ZF but that was dampened when the 45MP sensor didn’t make it into it. Love that sensor in my Z7ii.

Then I had a very brief fondle of one in LCE a few weeks back but it didn’t grab me, thought it would like the Df did years ago. Waiting for the Photo Show and hopefully get to handle one a bit more to see if my first impression was wrong.

Eugh, hope you get it sorted quickly.

Yay for the Zf! Hopefully will be with you soon. I’ll be interested in your view. I got really excited at the prospect of the ZF but that was dampened when the 45MP sensor didn’t make it into it. Love that sensor in my Z7ii.

Then I had a very brief fondle of one in LCE a few weeks back but it didn’t grab me, thought it would like the Df did years ago. Waiting for the Photo Show and hopefully get to handle one a bit more to see if my first impression was wrong.
It's truly awful without the grip, absolutely transforms it and i'd say it's very much a camera that grows on you.

So, first outing with a Nikon in 4 years.
Zf with 50mm Voigtlander APO
Quick and dirty edit, short of time but wanted to share
nod to @imattersuk Pete for recommending this lens to me. I love it.

Brody on the Ranges by Trevor, on Flickr
God damn that eye is sharp !!!!! It's a great combo, subject / eye detect with MF is a revelation, focus peaking on (have mine set to blue) and it's the dogs danglies.

God damn that eye is sharp !!!!! It's a great combo, subject / eye detect with MF is a revelation, focus peaking on (have mine set to blue) and it's the dogs danglies.
Thanks Pete. I really enjoyed myself.

Back