Nikon Z* mirrorless

Wow.. I think my Z6ii with it's 2470 f4 is very sharp. How do you find the z8 battery life, as some say it's poor?
As with all Nikons, I`m not overly impressed with the battery but at the same time I`m ok with it. Yes I do wish now that all batteries were like the one in the Z9 but hey, we can`t have it all.

With my interest to return to Nikon mirrorless after a long break using Canon and Sony - I wondered how the AF performance is with the 85mm f/1.8 s on the Z9? I recall the 85mm f/1.8 s being particularly sluggish on the Z6 - particularly for moving subjects. Does anybody use the F mount Sigma 85mm instead? What are the alternatives and what are people's preferences? I have the 85mm f/1.8 G but it suffers from pretty bad fringing at f/1.8. Perhaps it's because I've been using it without a hood on my D850.

Last edited:
With my interest to return to Nikon mirrorless after a long break using Canon and Sony - I wondered how the AF performance is with the 85mm f/1.8 s on the Z9? I recall the 85mm f/1.8 s being particularly sluggish on the Z6 - particularly for moving subjects. Does anybody use the F mount Sigma 85mm instead? What are the alternatives and what are people's preferences? I have the 85mm f/1.8 G but it suffers from pretty bad fringing at f/1.8. Perhaps it's because I've been using it without a hood on my D850.
The Z 85mm f/1.8 S on the ZF is very fast, should be even better on a Z8 /9

Spent last weekend in London, so thought I'd take just the Z7ii & 28mm f2.8 as a lightweight option. Pretty much convinced myself I'm not a 28mm focal length kind of photographer looking at some of the snaps I took.

_Z727018-London by Dave Young, on Flickr

On the other hand, give me the Z7ii, a zoom lens and some foggy woodland and I'm in heaven! :ROFLMAO:

_Z727061-Wirehill by Dave Young, on Flickr

Spent last weekend in London, so thought I'd take just the Z7ii & 28mm f2.8 as a lightweight option. Pretty much convinced myself I'm not a 28mm focal length kind of photographer looking at some of the snaps I took.

On the other hand, give me the Z7ii, a zoom lens and some foggy woodland and I'm in heaven! :ROFLMAO:

Oh I don’t know. That misty trees shot is great - very moody.

Sounds like that 28 is going to be an expensive paperweight then, I’ll send you my address and I’ll look after it for you lol

Oh I don’t know. That misty trees shot is great - very moody.
Thanks Stephen, that was with the zoom lens. Awesome conditions in fairness.
Sounds like that 28 is going to be an expensive paperweight then, I’ll send you my address and I’ll look after it for you lol
Haha, have you seen the price of the 28mm f2.8…. hardly ‘expensive’ in the scheme of things compared to other Z lenses :ROFLMAO:

Not mine. But there’s a Voigtlander 50mm APO in the classifieds.
Can highly recommend one.

I must say, that Voigt APO looks pretty stunning -- I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a sharp lens. Still, at twice the price of the Nikon 50mm f1.8 S, it ought to be decent!

I must say, that Voigt APO looks pretty stunning -- I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a sharp lens. Still, at twice the price of the Nikon 50mm f1.8 S, it ought to be decent!
The financial aspect is not lost on me, and I’ve had the Nikon f1.8 in the past. But this lens with the Zf is a marriage made in heaven. Shooting this setup is obviously a deliberate process. But it’s very satisfying when I get these results. There will be occasions I’ll shoot AF (I expect)

You get what you pay for, the build quality is superb and the aesthetics and handling sublime........

The financial aspect is not lost on me, and I’ve had the Nikon f1.8 in the past. But this lens with the Zf is a marriage made in heaven. Shooting this setup is obviously a deliberate process. But it’s very satisfying when I get these results. There will be occasions I’ll shoot AF (I expect)
Since when ? You're a walking talking bottomless pit of cash :ROFLMAO:

I, myself tried out the Nikon f1.8. I found it very competent but somewhat characterless so didn't keep it. This sort of look is better exemplified with the 85mm f1.8 which I really do like, though I haven't yet used it enough. With the 50's, I prefer the ancient 50mm f1.2 AIS as that has real (read swirly and other other delights) bokeh and the characteristic dreaminess wide open of the age. But the Vogt looks from yours and other examples as quite exceptional and MF would be fine for such a lens.

This is a surprising announcement, Nikon has purchased the Cinema Camera manufacturer RED.

What makes this more interesting is that the RED cinema cameras use the Canon RF mount and they license their Compressed Raw codec to Canon. Wonder what that means for the collaboration triangle going forwards ?

This is a surprising announcement, Nikon has purchased the Cinema Camera manufacturer RED.

What makes this more interesting is that the RED cinema cameras use the Canon RF mount and they license their Compressed Raw codec to Canon. Wonder what that means for the collaboration triangle going forwards ?

Oh wow, this I didn't expect at all! Especially from Nikon.

I, myself tried out the Nikon f1.8. I found it very competent but somewhat characterless so didn't keep it. This sort of look is better exemplified with the 85mm f1.8 which I really do like, though I haven't yet used it enough. With the 50's, I prefer the ancient 50mm f1.2 AIS as that has real (read swirly and other other delights) bokeh and the characteristic dreaminess wide open of the age. But the Vogt looks from yours and other examples as quite exceptional and MF would be fine for such a lens.
Cannot tell you how tempted I am by Voigtlander 50mm f1…

Thing is. The f2 is a superb match for the Zf. Has yours arrived from Panamoz yet ?
Arrived today, a day late. Trouble is, I’ve been stuck in a “volunteers“ meeting all afternoon so still setting it up. Bigger than I expected but impressed with the build quality.

Next time out I'm going to use my Zf with a Tammy 28-75 f2.8 G2
It's a Sony mount, I'll use a Megadap adapter, I'll post some results and give feedback on how the AF works.

Can anyone help ?
On my Zf in Manuel Focus i see the subject detection active on the monitor/viewfinder display
It disappears in AF mode. It is selected, but also doesn't find the subject. Have i set something incorrectly/switched something that disables it.
Can't seem to find a solution..

Back