Nikon Z* mirrorless

It’s worth mentioning the numbers to be accurate when choosing though as I’m always hearing things like ‘the 1.4x converter has no loss in sharpness’ but it’s around 30% loss when measured.
Even if a TC is optically perfect, there can ONLY be a resulting loss of recorded resolution. The only thing a TC does is magnify the the image circle of the lens. So if that image circle had a resolution of X-lines/mm on the sensor it becomes fewer-lines/mm after magnification.

But there are a lot of other factors that play into it, especially with longer lenses. It is quite probable that some other factor is already limiting recorded resolution so that the TC losses are masked. And note that the losses a (non-existent) perfect TC causes are in resolution/mm (/image); not in resolution/subject area. And if the lens was originally far out-resolving the lens then the losses may not matter; and the increase in sampling (pixels/subject area) may provide some actual gains in recorded resolution.

I 've bought the NonNikor 35mm f1.4 Made in China by Artralab.
It's modelled on a 1980's Nikon 35mm Ais f1.4, Manual focus.
It's not chipped so I've had to add it to the non CPU list in camera.
The Zf won't give focus confirmation with non CPU lenses.
However the camera will find the eye for me, I then magnify the image and focus using peaking.
Result here, unsure if my skills are lacking, or it's just a bit of softness from the 80's design .

Brody 35mm trial by Trevor, on Flickr

I 've bought the NonNikor 35mm f1.4 Made in China by Artralab.
It's modelled on a 1980's Nikon 35mm Ais f1.4, Manual focus.
It's not chipped so I've had to add it to the non CPU list in camera.
The Zf won't give focus confirmation with non CPU lenses.
However the camera will find the eye for me, I then magnify the image and focus using peaking.
Result here, unsure if my skills are lacking, or it's just a bit of softness from the 80's design .

Brody 35mm trial by Trevor, on Flickr
Doesn’t look too bad to me. The eye is clear enough (on Flickr) and I presume it’s not a top-price lens.

Doesn’t look too bad to me. The eye is clear enough (on Flickr) and I presume it’s not a top-price lens.

This one

Popped along to the show today, as I’m relatively local. Still not convinced by the Zf but was rather struck by the Z8.

Quite a lump compared to my Z7ii, but the 24-120 balances beautifully on it.

That looks pretty sharp for £165 !!!
Didn’t pay anything like that! Go to the Viltrox UK store and its around £145. Go to the manufacturer site in China, and I paid less than £130. Here in a week.

True, having previously been used to a 400mm f2.8, aperture, weight, size, bokeh, controls etc. are all high on the list which led me to the 400mm f4.5 too.

It’s worth mentioning the numbers to be accurate when choosing though as I’m always hearing things like ‘the 1.4x converter has no loss in sharpness’ but it’s around 30% loss when measured. This comes in useful when comparing all the new long options as we have so many now that we are getting spoiled!
The cheaper (compared to the crazy £12k+ of the exotics) slightly slower lens range nikon has brought out are great for the money when you compare the performance. I’m very much moving towards lighter kit after the 200-400 f4 years. It was a great lens but very much a love hate relationship due to the weight (7.5kg when 200-400, D810 and tripod were taken into account). 2.1kg and no need for a tripod makes any amazing difference when walking around.

A teleconverter will make a difference. I’ve liked teleconverters but I’ve often found them a pain as it’s always on then off, then back on. The built in ones are definitely much more user friendly. The current price puts me off at £500+ which isn’t a bad thing!

Have to say I’m quite impressed with the VR. This was taken indoors with the 400 f4.5 at 1/25 when testing it earlier.

Roo by -Rob'81-

Popped along to the show today, as I’m relatively local. Still not convinced by the Zf but was rather struck by the Z8.

Quite a lump compared to my Z7ii, but the 24-120 balances beautifully on it.
I tried the Z7ii at the show and was surprised my little finger hung off the bottom of the camera. The Z8 is a big lump but it just feels nice to hold considering my last Nikon camera was the D810.

I tried the Z7ii at the show and was surprised my little finger hung off the bottom of the camera. The Z8 is a big lump but it just feels nice to hold considering my last Nikon camera was the D810.
I found the same thing when I first got my Z6ii, so despite wanting a smaller camera than my D810 I ended up buying a Wepoto / Meike hand grip for it and later for my Z7ii. Hard things to find though, so I initially got a cheap L-bracket, binned the side plate and just used the base plate as that gave the extra height I needed.
The handgrips are ideal though, just enough extra height and not much extra weight, but like I say not easy to find.

Has anyone ever used or had any experience of Cotswold Cameras? All grey imports, the z8 is currently £2769 with their own 3 year warranty and £100 extra increases that to a 5 year warranty. Very tempted to move my z6ii on and get a z8.

Has anyone ever used or had any experience of Cotswold Cameras? All grey imports, the z8 is currently £2769 with their own 3 year warranty and £100 extra increases that to a 5 year warranty. Very tempted to move my z6ii on and get a z8.
Panamoz are very similar price and the 3 year warranty is unrivalled, so many reports of them just paying out with no faffing around.

Yeah. Bought my Zf and Sony 70-200 from them. No problems. Expect to go back to using Panamoz especially for cameras.

Well I am just back after trying the Z8 purchased from Panamoz (ordered Sunday arrived Thursday) Got to say "What a camera" sold my Sony gear A7iv and on first impressions the Nikon out does the Sony especially in the focus area, it's very fast all round. As said by others Panamoz are very good all round and 3 year warranty, what's not to like? Russ.

Looking for an additional battery charger for the Z8 Does anyone use a good 3rd party one as the supplied one seems to take ages to charge from dead battery. Thank You, Russ.

Well I am just back after trying the Z8 purchased from Panamoz (ordered Sunday arrived Thursday) Got to say "What a camera" sold my Sony gear A7iv and on first impressions the Nikon out does the Sony especially in the focus area, it's very fast all round. As said by others Panamoz are very good all round and 3 year warranty, what's not to like? Russ.
Nothing !!!

I'm either going to change the ZF for the Z8 or add the Z8, this ZF is so pretty and has the subject detect in MF which the Z8 doesn't, decisions, decisions.

Bought my Fuji XT2 from them but that was a while back.

Panamoz are very similar price and the 3 year warranty is unrivalled, so many reports of them just paying out with no faffing around.
I have used panamoz in the past too, just liked the idea of the 5 year warranty.

New rumoured Nikon super zoom being announced soon apparently!

This will be an interesting on for me.. I’ve got a normal lineup of a 14-30, 28-70, and 70-180. But I still have my 24-200 for a one lens solution. Will be interested to see how this new superzoom compares, as I’ve already got the fast end covered, just looking for maximum flexibility. Although 400mm at f/6.3 would still be a fairly chunky lens I’m assuming.

Hi, back with another question.
I have set my continuous shooting speeds to High 20FPS and Low 10FPS but how or is there a quick way while shooting to change from 20 to 10 as some times for example you come across a bird static on a branch while out shooting for BIF and you don't need to shoot 20 frames. Can you set maybe an FN button to do this? Thank You. Russ.

Hi, back with another question.
I have set my continuous shooting speeds to High 20FPS and Low 10FPS but how or is there a quick way while shooting to change from 20 to 10 as some times for example you come across a bird static on a branch while out shooting for BIF and you don't need to shoot 20 frames. Can you set maybe an FN button to do this? Thank You. Russ.
You can set a function button to "recall settings"/"recall settings hold" and set the release mode in the sub-menus

New rumoured Nikon super zoom being announced soon apparently!

This will be an interesting on for me.. I’ve got a normal lineup of a 14-30, 28-70, and 70-180. But I still have my 24-200 for a one lens solution. Will be interested to see how this new superzoom compares, as I’ve already got the fast end covered, just looking for maximum flexibility. Although 400mm at f/6.3 would still be a fairly chunky lens I’m assuming.
This would absolutely make my year if it's announced. There was a rumour about it last year and then nothing since then so I've not been getting my hopes up but really hoping it's not just a nonsense rumour like so many are. One of the reasons I wanted a Z-mount camera was to use the old F-mount 28-300mm which really widened the use of my D700/D750 as a more portable and flexible one lens set up so it would be great to have a similar native Z-mount option.

Used them recently for a few Z lenses and no issues with them, not the best comms but all went ok, as others have said Panamoz are unrivalled if things should go wrong

Trying out LR version of Denoise on this photo of a Goldfinch. Used Topaz in the past but don't think I'll bother anymore and stick with LR. Although it looks a tad over sharpened on this forum.

Goldfinch by Swansea Jack, on Flickr
Nice shot, but may I remind you that the correct forum for bird photography is the Olympus section. ;) :D

Trying out LR version of Denoise on this photo of a Goldfinch. Used Topaz in the past but don't think I'll bother anymore and stick with LR. Although it looks a tad over sharpened on this forum.

I always oversharpen for posting (embedding) on these forums. And when linking from flickr you are also dependent on their resizing/sharpening algorithms... anyways, the DNG LR creates is not a raw file, but your sharpening edits are not baked into it either.

I find Topaz to be too fiddly trying to find the best settings; auto seldom works particularly well. And AI sharpening/NR is so often overdone it should almost have it's own category; like "selective color"... I call it "Topazed."

I always oversharpen for posting (embedding) on these forums. And when linking from flickr you are also dependent on their resizing/sharpening algorithms... anyways, the DNG LR creates is not a raw file, but your sharpening edits are not baked into it either.

I find Topaz to be too fiddly trying to find the best settings; auto seldom works particularly well. And AI sharpening/NR is so often overdone it should almost have it's own category; like "selective color"... I call it "Topazed."
Thanks for the reply Steven...I have had a lay off from photography for a few years...I used to find Topaz way to slow and why I'm not using it anymore. I find the LR version is good for my eyes and from limited trial.

Dont think that you would get a better/sharper result that is as sharp as it gets.

Back