Nikon Z5

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Looks like a pretty good offering - an affordable 24MP full-frame mirrorless. By the sounds of it, compromises on the Z6/7 have been reasonable.

I've been considering mirrorless for a while now and would love the weight-saving and new tech compared to my D610 (effectively 8 year-old tech).

Anyone else interested??

I’m not convinced it’s overall an inferior camera to the Z6 both are very similar and both have advantages over the other.

Im not quite sure where one would position it in the market though as the Z6 is already very entry level.

I’m not convinced it’s overall an inferior camera to the Z6 both are very similar and both have advantages over the other.

Im not quite sure where one would position it in the market though as the Z6 is already very entry level.

I wouldnt say z6 is entry level, they are aiming for Canon R/RP market and Sonys older FF models that are still selling, likely also APSC like Fuji.

The Z5 looks decent enough to me, they included the joystick thingy, VR and dual card slots.

It wouldnt have shocked me if Nikon left out 1 or 2 of those things out.

They have some other areas that are weaker than the Z6 but only some people will need them perhaps

It lacks the full video capability of the Z6, and has a slightly different sensor. Personally, had the Z5 been available when I bought my Z6, then I'd have gone for it and not worried about the video stuff. But then; I deliberately waited after the Z6 was released, for the prices to drop. I bought in May last year, so over 5 months after the Z6 was released. I ended up paying less than £2000 for the Z6, 24-70 and FTZ adapter, and it came with a 64GB XQD card, which wasn't specified (Argos, so full UK warranty and no greyness)!! So I was well pleased. If I were buying a new cam now, I'd be holding out for the Z5 prices to drop, cos current prices are a joke (as were the original full rrps for the Z6 and 7). The Z5 needs to settle in around £1300 with the 24-70, imo, to be a good deal.

As for the 24-50 kit lens; it may well be über sharp, but it has a very limited range, and a relatively very small aperture at the 'long' end. Why didn't they just do a 24-70 f4-5.6 type thing? Surely couldn't have been much bigger. I'd really not be wanting to buy it with that lens. And there's currently no body only option.

Considering you can currently get new (grey) Z6 with 24-70 f/4 and FTZ for under £1700 you’d be silly to buy the Z5 new, now, but it will be interesting to see where it will be in 12 months time. I’ll start saving...

I see a long list of things that are better on the Z6, but the only advantages of the Z5 seem to be the dual card slots (downgraded to SD) and how it uses power.

The Z5 specs quote more shots per charge and it can run directly from USB power, but performance is quoted with the latest battery, apparently compatible with both cameras. Does anyone know what the capacity of the EN-EL15c is, compared to the EN-EL15b?

Agreed - the kit lens seems odd, I know it's really small. But I would really like if Nikon made a 24-70 f4 nice and small
It seems that with AF functions, lenses can't be made really small, and retain good optical quality. The Z primes so far do seem pretty large, but then the optical quality is superb. See also Zeiss. Leica can make tiddly tiny lenses cos they have no AF functions, but then they also cos a bloody fortune. With the early screw-drive AF system, Nikon was able to make AF lenses that were the same size as their MF counterparts, whereas Canon's equivalents often seem quite bulky in comparison. I would dearly love to fit summat the size of my 50mm f1.8 AF-D to my Z6, that would make it so nice and small to carry about. So I'm looking forward to the proposed 28 and 40mm compact lenses.

The Leica M lenses although small, won't compare to the modern 12+ element autofocus lenses. I've compared my Leica M lenses to Fuji and Nikon lenses, and the Leica's can't compete on high res sensors.

The Leica M lenses although small, won't compare to the modern 12+ element autofocus lenses. I've compared my Leica M lenses to Fuji and Nikon lenses, and the Leica's can't compete on high res sensors.
Well there you go.

Reported UK price of Z5 body and FTZ = £1589
Current UK (WEX) price of Z6 body and FTZ = £1649

Just £60 in it. Hmmmm.

Being a stills only fella, it more or less just boils down to memory card choice for me at the moment. I can probably live without the top screen and in my head, the mode dial on the right seems more usable anyway.

I'd be coming to Z from D750s, so I'm interested to see how the Z5 sensor differs from that in the D750. Being non-BSI, could this be a sensor from the parts bin?

Just £60 in it. Hmmmm.

Being a stills only fella, it more or less just boils down to memory card choice for me at the moment. I can probably live without the top screen and in my head, the mode dial on the right seems more usable anyway.

I'd be coming to Z from D750s, so I'm interested to see how the Z5 sensor differs from that in the D750. Being non-BSI, could this be a sensor from the parts bin?
If it’s the same price as a Z6 then it’s a no-brained. I’d be interested to see home much it costs in a years time

The Z5 has one big issue for me, 4.5fps. I don’t understand why Nikon have crippled it this much, if it wasn’t for this I’d be tempted to buy this over the Z6.

The Z5 has one big issue for me, 4.5fps. I don’t understand why Nikon have crippled it this much, if it wasn’t for this I’d be tempted to buy this over the Z6.

It's consumer oriented and inline with its competitors, just costs more as a newly released product.

It's consumer oriented and inline with its competitors, just costs more as a newly released product.
But why, give it 8fps (still less than the Z6) and it opens it up to a much wider audience. I really don’t get camera marketing strategies.

I’m sure it has identical fps to the Z6 but Nikon chose to Reduce that figure to create a software induced ‘differentiation’ between the models!

I’m sure it has identical fps to the Z6 but Nikon chose to Reduce that figure to create a software induced ‘differentiation’ between the models!
That’s my thoughts too, but why 4.5? :banghead: As I said 8fps still differentiates models:thinking:

Just £60 in it. Hmmmm.

& actually, for the not too discerning customer, Z6 + FTZ from Panamoz = £1420.

The Z6S or equivalent can't be far off too, which should have a further favourable effect on Z6 price. I think Nikon have had a wobbler with UK pricing here. £1200 body only and I'd snap it up.

The prices will come down; the Z6+24-70+FTZ was about £2899 on release, wasn't it? Or thereabouts. I'd give it 'til prps Xmas/January sales, if I was considering buying a new Z5.

But how many people actually need loads of fups? I've got through my photographic life, seldom needing more than single frame advance. Loads of great photos taken by people without motordrives, back in the film era. Praps people should learn how to get one shot right, without needing to rely on the scattergun approach; spray 'n' pray. ;)

And it's praps to do with image processing/cooling etc. Maybe having 2 card slots leaves less room for cooling. Whatever.

And it's praps to do with image processing/cooling etc. Maybe having 2 card slots leaves less room for cooling. Whatever.

My thoughts too as well to be honest.

That’s my thoughts too, but why 4.5? :banghead: As I said 8fps still differentiates models:thinking:
Well as it’s simply a firmware issue they can choose to ‘upgrade’ it at a later point. I’d personally take two card slots over the additional fps any day of the week without even thinking! Even 3fps is worth the extra card slot imo.

The prices will come down; the Z6+24-70+FTZ was about £2899 on release, wasn't it? Or thereabouts. I'd give it 'til prps Xmas/January sales, if I was considering buying a new Z5.

But how many people actually need loads of fups? I've got through my photographic life, seldom needing more than single frame advance. Loads of great photos taken by people without motordrives, back in the film era. Praps people should learn how to get one shot right, without needing to rely on the scattergun approach; spray 'n' pray. ;)

FPS isn't always about spray and pray, it's about having choice ;) :p

What I don't understand though is why 'cripple' a camera. OK so not everyone "needs" massive FPS, but why not offer it and maybe get more sales because of it for the people that do? I hadn't considered the extra size of the card slots and cooling, but I can't see that being the issue as it doesn't bode well for the Z6s and Z7s if it is.

It just frustrates me when things are (imo) deliberately crippled to put them into a specific market category or so that it doesn't impede the sales of their other products too much. I wish they just did the best they could at the time :9

Sure, but how many people actually need loads of fups? I shoot a lot of events, where people move about on stage etc, and I've never needed the spray 'n' pray approach. To me, that's just a substitute for poor technique, and a lack of ability to properly anticipate a moment. I do get that for shooting sports, fast frame rates are useful, but how many Z5 owners will be shooting sports to the level where loads of fups is actually necessary? And how many Z6 owners, with 12 fups at their disposal, actually use that facility? Actually isn't it summat like 5.5 fups with full AF tracking etc?

What I don't understand though is why 'cripple' a camera.
How does it 'cripple' it? It's still perfectly good for 99% of other photographic requirements. The use of the word 'crippled', in this context, is daft.

It just frustrates me when things are (imo) deliberately crippled
How do you KNOW things are deliberately restricted?

Sure, but how many people actually need loads of fups? I shoot a lot of events, where people move about on stage etc, and I've never needed the spray 'n' pray approach. To me, that's just a substitute for poor technique, and a lack of ability to properly anticipate a moment. I do get that for shooting sports, fast frame rates are useful, but how many Z5 owners will be shooting sports to the level where loads of fups is actually necessary? And how many Z6 owners, with 12 fups at their disposal, actually use that facility? Actually isn't it summat like 5.5 fups with full AF tracking etc?
But that’s my point why pigeon hole it. I’ve never done an audit or market research so don’t have the answers but I would imagine there’s a reasonable number of people who occasionally want to shoot sports, or their kid at sports day, or the dog running around etc. Yes you can get it with one frame if you want but then you run the risk of closed eyes, weird facial expression, front/back focus etc etc.

How does it 'cripple' it? It's still perfectly good for 99% of other photographic requirements. The use of the word 'crippled', in this context, is daft.
The term crippled is used to describe that it is not as good as it could have been or should have been through a conscious decision by the manufacturer. It does not mean the camera’s no good for anything.

How do you KNOW things are deliberately restricted?
I never said I did.

What I don't understand though is why 'cripple' a camera. OK so not everyone "needs" massive FPS, but why not offer it and maybe get more sales because of it for the people that do? I hadn't considered the extra size of the card slots and cooling, but I can't see that being the issue as it doesn't bode well for the Z6s and Z7s if it is.

It just frustrates me when things are (imo) deliberately crippled to put them into a specific market category or so that it doesn't impede the sales of their other products too much. I wish they just did the best they could at the time :9
High FPS requires much more processing power/resources. It’s not as simple as just sticking in 7 or 8 FPS for no additional cost. Otherwise all DSLRs would have the 14 fps as the D6. It would likely increase the cost, which, for a ‘budget‘ camera would be counterproductive.

But that’s my point why pigeon hole it. I’ve never done an audit or market research so don’t have the answers but I would imagine there’s a reasonable number of people who occasionally want to shoot sports, or their kid at sports day, or the dog running around etc. Yes you can get it with one frame if you want but then you run the risk of closed eyes, weird facial expression, front/back focus etc etc.
Well there you go. I 'would imagine' Nikon HAVE done their market research. Large companies like thet do tend to do such things, it's how they manage to make successful products...

The term crippled is used to describe that it is not as good as it could have been or should have been through a conscious decision by the manufacturer. It does not mean the camera’s no good for anything.
Well, I'd take 'crippled' by it's more literal term, to mean 'severely damaged', rather than simple restricted in some way. Semantics, but I do feel it's important to use language correctly, as much as possible.

Why not just say it's 'restricted'? Bit less dramatic.

I never said I did.
But you asserted as such. With the caveat of 'imo', but still.

The Z6 has a maximum fups of 5.5, if you want full AF and AE. Otherwise it's locked down. That, to me, is not really a viable system if you're shooting very fast moving actions, where you want the focus to be spot on every time. It's a spray 'n' pray mode.

The Z5, as far as I can gather, offers full AF and AE with it's 4.5fups. So, not all that far behind the Z6 now really, on equal terms, is it? Praps adding on the higher fups mode would have meant a compromise elsewhere, created additional cooling etc issues. I really don't see it as 'crippled' by comparison, at all. Just slightly lower spec. And once prices settle down, I think it will be a very good lower cost option to the Z6.

So that's sorted that one out then.

High FPS requires much more processing power/resources. It’s not as simple as just sticking in 7 or 8 FPS for no additional cost. Otherwise all DSLRs would have the 14 fps as the D6. It would likely increase the cost, which, for a ‘budget‘ camera would be counterproductive.
Yep I get that, but it’s got the same Expeed 6 processor from the Z6. My understanding is that it’s the same shutter too (happy to be proven wrong) so I can’t see a reason why it can’t be as fast as the Z6,.... if they wanted it to be.

Well there you go. I 'would imagine' Nikon HAVE done their market research. Large companies like thet do tend to do such things, it's how they manage to make successful products...

Well, I'd take 'crippled' by it's more literal term, to mean 'severely damaged', rather than simple restricted in some way. Semantics, but I do feel it's important to use language correctly, as much as possible.

Why not just say it's 'restricted'? Bit less dramatic.

But you asserted as such. With the caveat of 'imo', but still.

The Z6 has a maximum fups of 5.5, if you want full AF and AE. Otherwise it's locked down. That, to me, is not really a viable system if you're shooting very fast moving actions, where you want the focus to be spot on every time. It's a spray 'n' pray mode.

The Z5, as far as I can gather, offers full AF and AE with it's 4.5fups. So, not all that far behind the Z6 now really, on equal terms, is it? Praps adding on the higher fups mode would have meant a compromise elsewhere, created additional cooling etc issues. I really don't see it as 'crippled' by comparison, at all. Just slightly lower spec. And once prices settle down, I think it will be a very good lower cost option to the Z6.

So that's sorted that one out then.
I’m not sure why but you often appear to take my posts out of context. Crippled isn’t being dramatic it’s just the term that gets used widely in here so I thought I’d stick to the same terminology.

As for market research I’m sure no one would say theyd rather have 4.5fps over 8fps. From what I can tell the hardware is all there so it’s not a cost thing, it’s a ‘we don’t want this to overshadow the Z6’ thing,.... IMO ;)

Crippled isn’t being dramatic it’s just the term that gets used widely in here so I thought I’d stick to the same terminology.
Whatevs. It's poor use of language, imo. Over dramatic, for effect.

As for market research I’m sure no one would say theyd rather have 4.5fps over 8fps. From what I can tell the hardware is all there so it’s not a cost thing, it’s a ‘we don’t want this to overshadow the Z6’ thing,.... IMO
Yeah you could well be right. Who knows. It's very likely Nikon don't want to produce summat as good as the Z6, at a lower price point. But it's really minor details, to most folk. I remember when the D610 was released, which had a whole 0.5 fups speed increase over my D600.

I didn't cry.

Last edited:
Whatevs. It's poor use of language, imo. Over dramatic, for effect.

Yeah you could well be right. Who knows. It's very likely Nikon don't want to produce summat as good as the Z6, at a lower price point. But it's really minor details, to most folk. I remember when the D610 was released, which had a whole 0.5 fups speed increase over my D600.

I didn't cry.
But that’s just you, you see many people wishing for more fps. But my point is still being missed I feel. If something has the capability of doing something then why not have it do it, it will never make sense to me however it’s justified. Now Nikon may argue that it’s there business strategy for reasons previously mentioned, but that strategy has clearly not worked in the past so why stick to it. To be fair it’s not just Nikon, Canon do it too. From what I can see Olympus seem to be the best, if it can be done then it will be.

You may well be right about here, about intentionally producing inferior products to generate another tier of price branding, and so being able to sell more bodies. And yes, it would be great if the produced the best camera the can get away with at every price point. But they've got their marketing strategy and if they're not smart about it there's a good chance they could go under, and no one really wants that. I wish they sold every product at cost price, but they wouldn't last too long if they did.

You may well be right about here, about intentionally producing inferior products to generate another tier of price branding, and so being able to sell more bodies. And yes, it would be great if the produced the best camera the can get away with at every price point. But they've got their marketing strategy and if they're not smart about it there's a good chance they could go under, and no one really wants that. I wish they sold every product at cost price, but they wouldn't last too long if they did.
Haha that would be nice ;)

But that’s just you, you see many people wishing for more fps. But my point is still being missed I feel. If something has the capability of doing something then why not have it do it, it will never make sense to me however it’s justified. Now Nikon may argue that it’s there business strategy for reasons previously mentioned, but that strategy has clearly not worked in the past so why stick to it. To be fair it’s not just Nikon, Canon do it too. From what I can see Olympus seem to be the best, if it can be done then it will be.

car companies often use the same engine at different outputs. The ubiquitous 2L diesel is offered in 3 sometimes 4 outputs.
I can’t see how this is different. Z5 is cheaper than its siblings so will have a lower spec.

The Z6 has a maximum fups of 5.5, if you want full AF and AE. Otherwise it's locked down.

Just want to say this is wrong. The Z6 offers 12 FPS with full AF and full AE. The FPS is one of the reasons I bought the camera. For my kind of shooting the Z5 is non viable simply because of that limitation.

My camera lives in AFC and 12 FPS mode...in my opinion, the difference between the two cameras in street pricing is too little. The Z5 should be at max 1199 for body only.

Just want to say this is wrong
You're absolutely right. I don't even know my own cam. :LOL: But then, I've never used the 12 fups feature, or indeed any continuous setting, tbh. Twelve fups! Bloody hell.

.in my opinion, the difference between the two cameras in street pricing is too little. The Z5 should be at max 1199 for body only.
Again, totally spot on. The price will drop, it has to, in order for it to be a viable option against competitors. Question is, how soon will that happen?

Back