Nikon Z* mirrorless

No. At least I either don’t notice it or it doesn’t do it. I’ll check tomorrow. Thinking about it, some of my Oly OMDs in the olden days did that and Mark Thackara (sp?) said it was the IS locking the sensor.
Mine chunks when I power the camera on and off, and when I go in to the play back menu.
it's there for me so I wouldn't worry about it. Don't know what it is though :)
Great, thanks for the confirmation it’s normal. One thing I’ve been thinking since is whether it’s to do with silent shooting and/or electronic first curtain. I’ll do some experimenting tomorrow ;)

Ok so I’ve complained about the price of the new Nikon glass but thank god I didn’t decide to go with the Canon RF, the new 85mm f1.2’s just been announced costing,....... wait for it,....... £2799 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

And then they have the cheek to charge a further £70 for the lens hood :facepalm:

Last edited:
Ok so I’ve complained about the price of the new Nikon glass but thank god I didn’t decide to go with the Canon RF, the new 85mm f1.2’s just been announced costing,....... wait for it,....... £2799 :eek::eek::eek::eek:

And then they have the cheek to charge a further £70 for the lens hood :facepalm:

Wait till you see price of the 70-200 lens for the z hmmm all these mirrorless lens ain’t cheap

Wait till you see price of the 70-200 lens for the z hmmm all these mirrorless lens ain’t cheap
Granted it will likely be a similar price, but there’s much more to a lens like that than an 85mm prime. I hope Nikon stick to f1.4, although I still wouldn’t buy it as no doubt it’ll come in around the £1750-2000 mark :rolleyes:

I do hope sigma can reverse engineer the z mount.

Finished up another edit. A different tracked image used for this one, but taken from where the first was at Durdle Door. I had an idea about doing something along the lines of this shot at Portland Bill (Milky Way over the lighthouse), but I couldn't shoot the Milky Way 2 nights in a row. So I went and got a shot of the lighthouse about 10pm the following evening.

There's a rumour that the new FW update will increase low light AF capability of the Z cameras. The Z6 will supposedly be able to focus down to -6EV and the Z7 down to -4EV.
If I'm not mistaken that will make the Z6 the best Nikon camera for low light?

Granted it will likely be a similar price, but there’s much more to a lens like that than an 85mm prime. I hope Nikon stick to f1.4, although I still wouldn’t buy it as no doubt it’ll come in around the £1750-2000 mark :rolleyes:

I do hope sigma can reverse engineer the z mount.

I'm curious about the price of the new 70-200 as well...my prediction is that it will cost about the same as the FL did when it came out.
As for Sigma....I hope they make true mirrorless lenses though, not just with a built-in adapter. My hope is that with the new L-mount and Sigma's involvement in it, they will take those designs and just decrease the flange distance for other mounts...
L-mount is 20mm, so is RF. E mount is 18 and Z mount 16mm. So if they design for L mount, they can just shave off 2 mm and get E and another 2 for the Z...

@snerkler

When I change lenses. Switch on camera, remove the battery. This closes the shutter. Change lens and refit the battery. You’ll get an error which disappears with a shutter press.

I am currently on holiday and using my Z6 regularly but despite me taking all the usual precautions when changing lenses I have been suffering from the sensor getting dirty. I have had to clean it 3 times with swabs etc. in the last 6 days. Fortunately I have now got the sensor nice and clean again. However I have now gone over to pulling my battery out and changing lenses with the shutter down. I use a mini puffer to gently blow any potential dirt off before fixing a lens and so far so good. I believe Nikon say you shouldn't change lenses this way but for me I think the benefits out way any potential risks.

I am currently on holiday and using my Z6 regularly but despite me taking all the usual precautions when changing lenses I have been suffering from the sensor getting dirty. I have had to clean it 3 times with swabs etc. in the last 6 days.

Its a mirrorless thing, its nearer the mount, easier to clean though! Im in the same situation with my Fuji at the moment, just about to clean it before today's holiday snaps!

There's a rumour that the new FW update will increase low light AF capability of the Z cameras. The Z6 will supposedly be able to focus down to -6EV and the Z7 down to -4EV.
If I'm not mistaken that will make the Z6 the best Nikon camera for low light?
I believe it does, from memory the D850 is the best to date at -4ev. I don't know of another camera that can focus down to -6ev but I don't know the Sony specs. The Z7 (and Z6) can already focus down to -4ev but that's in the 'special' low light AF mode which slows AF speed, so maybe the new firmware makes this low light capability without having to enter low light AF mode.
I'm curious about the price of the new 70-200 as well...my prediction is that it will cost about the same as the FL did when it came out.
As for Sigma....I hope they make true mirrorless lenses though, not just with a built-in adapter. My hope is that with the new L-mount and Sigma's involvement in it, they will take those designs and just decrease the flange distance for other mounts...
L-mount is 20mm, so is RF. E mount is 18 and Z mount 16mm. So if they design for L mount, they can just shave off 2 mm and get E and another 2 for the Z...
I think a 70-200mm f4 is inevitable, it's just a matter of when (y)
Yep, I'm very much hoping that one of the 2020 lenses will be the Z mount 200-500 version (or something similar).
I think a 100-400mm would be better to keep in tune with the ethos of a smaller lighter system, the 200-500mm is 2.3kg and I don't think the balance would be great.

What's everyone's views on the best "standard" prime lens for the Z6/Z7 in the native Z mount - the 35mm F1.8s or the 50mm F1.8s, and are they worth the exorbitant price ?

What's everyone's views on the best "standard" prime lens for the Z6/Z7 in the native Z mount - the 35mm F1.8s or the 50mm F1.8s, and are they worth the exorbitant price ?
TBH I'm not sure any new lens is worth the price these days, we just have to accept that if we want the new stuff we have to pay OTT prices. I've not seen any scores on the 35mm yet but the sharpness of the 50mm f1.8 s is impressive according to DXO. However, imo most modern lenses are plenty sharp enough so it's more of a case of which focal length suits you best, and which you prefer the rendering of.

TBH I'm not sure any new lens is worth the price these days, we just have to accept that if we want the new stuff we have to pay OTT prices. I've not seen any scores on the 35mm yet but the sharpness of the 50mm f1.8 s is impressive according to DXO. However, imo most modern lenses are plenty sharp enough so it's more of a case of which focal length suits you best, and which you prefer the rendering of.

Yup.

I'd add packaging, focus performance and the look the lens gives to the list of things to think about as all of these things can vary even within a manufacturers own line up. For example some lenses are just too big and heavy for me to ever consider (some of the Sigma Art and Sony GM lenses) whilst some others have focus systems that can hunt and others give harsh bokeh.

I'd say that if you already own the 50mm F1.8G, you don't need to switch to the Z version just yet. Sure, the new lens is sharper, better and has silent focusing, but the price difference is huge. I'm holding out on the Z line up for now, but will get the 24-70 f4 when a good deal comes up (should have gotten it in a kit).

I've just heard back from Nikon. The sound that I hear going from shooting to playback/menus is "due to the aperture control in the lens being on and off when transitioning from shooting to menu or playback". I take from this that it's not the aperture itself changing ( as it does it whether the lens is wide open or stopped down) but purely the control mechanism. Why it switches on and off in these situations I don't know.

Regarding the VR being on all the time with the FTZ adapter and VR lenses this is a "limitation at the moment due to the VR being on the lens itself and how it communicates through the adapter". I hope they address this with firmware updates as surely it will drain battery life if VR is on all the time?

I've just heard back from Nikon. The sound that I hear going from shooting to playback/menus is "due to the aperture control in the lens being on and off when transitioning from shooting to menu or playback". I take from this that it's not the aperture itself changing ( as it does it whether the lens is wide open or stopped down) but purely the control mechanism. Why it switches on and off in these situations I don't know.

Regarding the VR being on all the time with the FTZ adapter and VR lenses this is a "limitation at the moment due to the VR being on the lens itself and how it communicates through the adapter". I hope they address this with firmware updates as surely it will drain battery life if VR is on all the time?

Great info! Thank you for sharing.
As for VR, I guess that is one of the reasons that "time to sleep" is so short with the Z cameras.

Great info! Thank you for sharing.
As for VR, I guess that is one of the reasons that "time to sleep" is so short with the Z cameras.
Possibly. Though it doesn’t concern me - I power off the camera after almost every shot. I still shoot as if every frame costs, harking back to film days. Made all the more routine by me still shooting film occasionally. :)

35 is my preference. I bought the Siggy Art, quickly moved it on for the Z mount.
It was great but I've decided where possible to stick with native mount.
I have both the 35 and 50 z mount. They're fab lenses.
Yep...too much money. But I've cut down on my lens line up.

Know what you mean Trevor, it's all too easy to get carried away with lenses (I know this all too well).

My ideal line up for the Z cameras would be the 14-30 F4 S, 24-70 F4 S, 70-200 F4 S (if they announce one), then either the 50mm or 35mm F1.8 S (still undecided) and maybe in the future the new 85mm F1.8 S (as it appears it's going to be announced this week - but could be price prohibitive) ?

The only other one (for a few years in the future) would perhaps be a lighter weight replacement to the Nikon 200-500 F5.6 so that the Z series can take over my wildlife shooting as well. I think then (at last) I could maybe sell off all my Fuji and Micro Four thirds bodies and lenses and solely use Nikon Z.

Possibly. Though it doesn’t concern me - I power off the camera after almost every shot. I still shoot as if every frame costs, harking back to film days. Made all the more routine by me still shooting film occasionally. :)
The only time I can see it being an issue for me is for the London Marathon where I have to have the camera at the ready all the time, other than that I'm like you I turn the camera off between shots, well with mirrorless anyway. The reason being is that having the camera on a sling strap and moving about on your hip it constantly activates/de-activates the EVF eye detection which stops it from going to sleep, and for all but the above scenario waiting 2s for the camera to turn back on is no hardship (y)
Know what you mean Trevor, it's all too easy to get carried away with lenses (I know this all too well).

My ideal line up for the Z cameras would be the 14-30 F4 S, 24-70 F4 S, 70-200 F4 S (if they announce one), then either the 50mm or 35mm F1.8 S (still undecided) and maybe in the future the new 85mm F1.8 S (as it appears it's going to be announced this week - but could be price prohibitive) ?

The only other one (for a few years in the future) would perhaps be a lighter weight replacement to the Nikon 200-500 F5.6 so that the Z series can take over my wildlife shooting as well. I think then (at last) I could maybe sell off all my Fuji and Micro Four thirds bodies and lenses and solely use Nikon Z.
What I would like to end up with is:-

14-30mm f4
24-70mm f4
70-200mm f2.8 S
85mm f1.8 (possibly f1.4)

At the moment I have

AF-S 18-35mm G
24-70mm f4
70-200mm f2.8 VRII
50mm f1.8G

Unfortunately the cost to swap is going to be HUGE and I can see it taking quite a while to say the least. The first that I would like to change is the 70-200mm, as much as I LOVE this lens it does feel very front heavy when used with the FTZ. Add to this the VR always being on, and that no doubt the new version will have faster AF then it would be reason enough for me to change. Whether I could afford it is a different matter, I'd certainly have to wait for grey prices to come down.

Talking of the VR always being on, I wonder why Nikon decided to use the Lens VR rather then in body VR when using the FTZ and VR lenses? Unless I've misunderstood Nikon's email and what they meant when they said that VR control is on the lens itself they are just referring to the physical switch to turn it on and off, and not that it uses the lens VR rather than in body VR o_O

Last edited:
At the moment I see the 14-30 and maybe the 85 S in my future line up
to go with the 24-70 f4 and 35, 50mm already in my bag.
Really WANT the 24-70 f2.8 but I know I'll hardly ever use it...
Had the 70-200 vr2 and Siggy 85 pre art. Both superb but under used, gone now. As i say I'm trying to stay native.

At the moment I see the 14-30 and maybe the 85 S in my future line up
to go with the 24-70 f4 and 35, 50mm already in my bag.
Really WANT the 24-70 f2.8 but I know I'll hardly ever use it...
Had the 70-200 vr2 and Siggy 85 pre art. Both superb but under used, gone now. As i say I'm trying to stay native.
I'm like you with the 24-70mm f2.8, I really want it but don't know why as it's a lens that rarely gets used for me. I had the 24-70mm f2.8 for the DSLRs but rarely used it.

I really like that fact that you can have the distance scale on the LED display, I've wanted distance scales back on lenses ever since they were removed, and it's slightly disappointing that this isn't on the 14-30mm, after all this is the lens where it would arguably be most useful. I guess cost came into it, it's already crazy expensive.

Might become crazy expensive for me soon lol have you had that lab coat on yet

Its a mirrorless thing, its nearer the mount, easier to clean though! Im in the same situation with my Fuji at the moment, just about to clean it before today's holiday snaps!

Had Fuji myself but rarely had to clean it. |Perhaps the larger size of the Nikon mount is a reason but it sure needs more cleaning than any other mirrorless cameras that I have had.

Had Fuji myself but rarely had to clean it. |Perhaps the larger size of the Nikon mount is a reason but it sure needs more cleaning than any other mirrorless cameras that I have had.
I agree. I never had to clean the sensor on any of the Olympus' which I owned, nor any of the Fujis. However, this Z6 is peculiar. Some shots are spotty, others are clean. And that's without removing the lens - all on the same day.

And another thing - what's with the auto clean? When you ask it to do a cleaning cycle it takes quite a few seconds. But leave it on auto, when it's supposed to clean at every power-down, it seems to do nothing.

I agree. I never had to clean the sensor on any of the Olympus' which I owned, nor any of the Fujis. However, this Z6 is peculiar. Some shots are spotty, others are clean. And that's without removing the lens - all on the same day.

And another thing - what's with the auto clean? When you ask it to do a cleaning cycle it takes quite a few seconds. But leave it on auto, when it's supposed to clean at every power-down, it seems to do nothing.
I've never had to clean the Olly either, but I have 'auto clean' set, and also I don't think I've shot beyond f5.6 so I'm not sure dust would show up much anyway. Both my D750 and D850 were a pain for dust, I'm hoping that the Z7 will be better. Should be easier to clean though with that great big opening on the front, although I'm not sure what cleaning you're 'allowed' to do when you have IBIS. I'm sure I read somewhere that you have to be very careful with Olly sensors not to bugger up the IBIS and/ore cause misalignment so I wonder if all bodies with IBIS are the same?

I've never had to clean the Olly either, but I have 'auto clean' set, and also I don't think I've shot beyond f5.6 so I'm not sure dust would show up much anyway. Both my D750 and D850 were a pain for dust, I'm hoping that the Z7 will be better. Should be easier to clean though with that great big opening on the front, although I'm not sure what cleaning you're 'allowed' to do when you have IBIS. I'm sure I read somewhere that you have to be very careful with Olly sensors not to bugger up the IBIS and/ore cause misalignment so I wonder if all bodies with IBIS are the same?
Good point, but on any IBIS camera the sensor is locked when powered off.

(my Canon 5D Mk1 was the worst. Dust bunnies were breeding in that thing!)

Good point, but on any IBIS camera the sensor is locked when powered off.)

I Googled before cleaning my sensor and it said to switch the camera off then remove the battery. Did as it suggested and the sensor seemed to be rock steady. My battery seems to be more out than in my camera these days :)

Last edited:
Good point, but on any IBIS camera the sensor is locked when powered off.

(my Canon 5D Mk1 was the worst. Dust bunnies were breeding in that thing!)
I Googled before cleaning my sensor and it said to switch the camera off then remove the battery. Did as it suggested and ithe sensor seemed to be rock steady. My battery seems to be more out than in my camera these days :)
Thanks for the info. In hind sight it would make sense that they 'lock' the sensor.

As I am now packing to come home and back to the M1, M25 A19 etc...Cant wait :) I am packing away my kit and have a Manfrotto back pack to use as cabin luggage. I have the kit 24-70 F4, 35 F1.8 and the 70-300 AF-P4.5-5.6ED lenses. I am struggling to get it all to fit snuggly and could do with one or two of them inside protective tubes as I haven't enough dividers/spaces in my bag to accommodate everything as I want safely. So currently my 70-300 is precariously ensconced inside my Reading FC wooly hat... Probably the best use for it :) Can anybody recommend any makes of lens tube cases suitable for the Z series lenses and AF-P lens. What are people using, if anything?

Last edited:

I’m obviously a bit grubby!!!

As I am now packing to come home and back to the M1, M25 A19 etc...Cant wait :) I am packing away my kit and have a Manfrotto back pack to use as cabin luggage. I have the kit 24-70 F4, 35 F1.8 and the 70-300 AF-P4.5-5.6ED lenses. I am struggling to get it all to fit snuggly and could do with one or two of them inside protective tubes as I haven't enough dividers/spaces in my bag to accommodate everything as I want safely. So currently my 70-300 is precariously ensconced inside my Reading FC wooly hat... Probably the best use for it :) Can anybody recommend any makes of lens tube cases suitable for the Z series lenses and AF-P lens. What are people using, if anything?
Just the pouches the lenses come with. When I had m4/3 lenses and visited Oz, I used the “tinny coolers” that drinkers over there use to insulate their cold beer cans against the heat. For some reason my son had loads of them, mainly promotional from suppliers to his company.

PS when you said “to come home and back to the M1, M25” I thought for a minute you were referring to Olympus cameras ... :banghead:

I had one of these for the Tamron 150-600mm and it protected it well, there's various sizes so some should fit the Z lenses. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KJE8H8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've since been recommended one of these for my Panny Leica 100-400mm but I've not got around to buying one yet.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009GA6...olid=2PIJAE5D1ZZT1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I had one of these for the Tamron 150-600mm and it protected it well, there's various sizes so some should fit the Z lenses. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004KJE8H8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've since been recommended one of these for my Panny Leica 100-400mm but I've not got around to buying one yet.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009GA6...olid=2PIJAE5D1ZZT1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks. I will do some investigating on my return...

Anyone got any idea when CFexpress cards will be available and how the price will compare with XQD?

Back