Nikon Z6 - for videography and photography

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I might potentially be changing my camera (d810) for a Z6 with a F lens adapter due to the increased AF quality and wifi capability. I shoot exclusively through live view (and use an app to remote shoot, and the D810 is pretty slow for this! The wifi would enable me to go wire free)
I was wondering if anyone here used the Z6 for videography as well as photography? and if so, how you find the video quality?
How is the wifi function on it? Is the AF good at quickly locking on to an eye, and is this reliable with Nikon F lenses?

Any help hugely appreciated!

Z7 is a direct upgrade for you rather than z6

Yes, I'd definitely like the Z7! for photography It would be way out of my budget though as with the z6 I would part exchange my d810 /sell my d810 to put towards it and would hope it would go quite some way towards funding it. Whereas the Z7 would add an awful lot more. I've seen that the Z6 is arguably better at handling video than the Z7 too.
The reason I'm mulling over switching is also in part because I imagine the d810 value will fall off in the nearish future (if that hasn't already happened) so it might be good to make the switch sooner rather than later.

Colleague of mine has a Z6, it's not great on moving subjects for stills, the CAF isn't very good compared to my XT-3

I might potentially be changing my camera (d810) for a Z6 with a F lens adapter due to the increased AF quality and wifi capability.
Is the AF actually any better than a camera like the D810, eye detection aside? Coming from a D800, I was vaguely thinking about a Z6 a week or two ago, when Grays had the Z6 on offer with the 24-70 f/4 and lens adapter for £1800 - can't see anything from a UK dealer like that at the moment. I like the idea of a quiet camera for gigs etc. that could use both my Nikon and Leica M lenses with adapters, and I've seen it claimed that the Nikons do better than the Sony mirrorless cameras with wider Leica lenses.

why not keep the D810 and get a camcorder? I have had my Panasonic HC-X900m camcorder for a good few years and still produces excellent videos

Is the AF actually any better than a camera like the D810, eye detection aside?

It is for video, AF in live view on any of the Nikon DSLRs (except the new D780) AF is poor, but excellent with theZ6. And live view seemed to be central to the question in the OP.

Is the AF actually any better than a camera like the D810, eye detection aside? Coming from a D800, I was vaguely thinking about a Z6 a week or two ago, when Grays had the Z6 on offer with the 24-70 f/4 and lens adapter for £1800 - can't see anything from a UK dealer like that at the moment. I like the idea of a quiet camera for gigs etc. that could use both my Nikon and Leica M lenses with adapters, and I've seen it claimed that the Nikons do better than the Sony mirrorless cameras with wider Leica lenses.

Quiet camera? Hope your subjects don't move.

It is for video, AF in live view on any of the Nikon DSLRs (except the new D780) AF is poor, but excellent with theZ6. And live view seemed to be central to the question in the OP.
How is it for stills?

How is it for stills?

Well, given I am also in the position of thinking about a Z6, I've read a lot of comparisons (mainly from wildlife photographers, but also from more general photographers), Opinions vary, but while it doesn't seem to be quite as good as D850, it still seems to be very close.

There is an interesting (and ongoing) comparison between mirrorless for birds in flight here https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/

But note the Z6 is only running at 5.5fps, much slower than the other

A year long review by someone who I seem to remember concludes that after the year he is getting rid of his D850,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJBtYWzUF8

Another Wildlife photographer Morton Hilmer replaced his D5 with a Z6/Z7 and a D850, and now seems to only ever use the Z6 with his 600mm. This is almost certainly linked to ease of switching between stills and video on the Z6, but he still makes his living from still images, so he must be happy enough with the stills AF performance. As an aside during his 6 weeks on Ellelsmere Island, the Z6s stopped working reliably at -30, but worked flawlessly once the temperatures rose to -25

Two other Youtube wildlife photographers only seem to use their z6s for video and are still routinely using D5s, D850s and D500s.

There have been a few reviews like this where people have hung onto their D8xxx for a while and then decided to keep the Z, but equally several that have gone the other way, and some half and half.

Brad Hill gives a good overview http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html in his 04 Nov 2019 : Musings Part 2 - The Nikon Z7 which you need to hunt for a bit, so the most relevant text is below (but he has a lot more to say if you go to the link):

"3. The Autofocus (AF) System

This section is probably going to surprise some folks, but I MUCH prefer the Z7 AF system (and how it performs) OVER that of the D850. Keep in mind when you're reading this that I rarely use my Z7 (or in the past my D850) for shooting extreme action...that's what I use a D5 - and to a lesser extent - a D500 for.

What do I like about the Z7 AF system? Several things. First, I simply find it more accurate than that of the D850, especially when dealing with off-centre subjects (e.g., focused on the foreground when shooting a wide-angle landscape shot). Because Nikon refuses to let us know the relative contribution of phase detect autofocus (PDAF) and contrast detect autofocus (CDAF) in each of the focusing area modes, it's impossible for me to guess WHY the AF system of the Z7 seems that much more accurate than that of the D850. But, it's just something I have noticed time and time again in the field. Like in this Harbour Seal shot taken with my Z7 and the Nikon 500mm f5.6E PF where having the eye-region tack-sharp (and the DoF distributed correctly) was so important:"

My conclusions, for what its worth is that it would seem the D850 (I think this is the commonest comparison) just has the edge, for action, but for everyday photography, their doesn't seem to be anything to worry about with the Zs AF. The early reviews of the Zs suffered from the cameras needing set up slightly differently to the DSLRs they were being compared against, and there has been a massive improvement through firmware upgrades.

Tell me more...

If you mean using the silent shutter, the Z scan speed is only 1/16, if your subjects are moving you will get distortion.

075d87631b214b74ade952282fa06ff9

My conclusions, for what its worth is that it would seem the D850 (I think this is the commonest comparison) just has the edge, for action, but for everyday photography, their doesn't seem to be anything to worry about with the Zs AF. The early reviews of the Zs suffered from the cameras needing set up slightly differently to the DSLRs they were being compared against, and there has been a massive improvement through firmware upgrades.
Thanks, that looks promising. And coming from the older AF of the D800, it looks like I may not be disappointed.

I wouldnt call it significantly better, still slow.
Yes, still far from ideal, though 1/37s is comparable to the shutter speed I'm currently using in these situations, with subjects that aren't moving enough to cause blurring. Don't know if banding would be an issue, though - I have no control over the lighting.

No expertise of my own on this, but have followed Z6 reviews (by videographers) which seem to say good things about the Z6 for video. You might find this link useful:
https://wolfcrow.com/camera-reviews-comparisons-and-tests/#nikonz6
Thank you for this, I have looked and will need to see if nikon have made any useful updates since this review

Colleague of mine has a Z6, it's not great on moving subjects for stills, the CAF isn't very good compared to my XT-3
I am not too fussed about moving subjects for stills, as the majority of my still photography is portrait and dance - and with dance I prefocus

why not keep the D810 and get a camcorder? I have had my Panasonic HC-X900m camcorder for a good few years and still produces excellent videos

I'm not really familiar with camcorders, But i assumed it would be better to use the nikon lenses I've got and have access to with a nikon body (video quality wise) over a camcorder

Back