Nikon Z7 and 500mm f5.6 lens recommendations and advice

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Looking for some advise
I’ve gone back to Nikon and decided on the Z7 that I totally love etc etc
Last week I bought the Nikon 500mm f5.6 lens, but I don’t like handholding on the smaller Z7, maybe it’s balance or my big hands.
Anyways I’m looking at getting a second camera, solely for using with the 500mm lens.
I’ve narrowed down to 2, either D850 (bit expensive) or the D500
I’ve not owed a DX camera for years and always had full frame, so I’m hoping someone would share there thoughts on the best camera options for hand holding this lens or maybe first hand opinions on if I would get used to the smaller Z7 with this lens.

Hope this makes sense

Using the 500mm PF on the D850 and D500, works great on both.

For really fast action work I find the D500's greater AF point coverage and speed useful, although if you're not shooting the thrashabilly's out of it the D850 maybe a better all-round, general option.

Can't help on the Z7 question.

GC

I have a Z7 and D500.
I prefer the D500 with the 500mm PF for the reason you state.
I've never used an 850.
Another option might be the Z7 "battery grip". Not your usual grip so check it out. Again I've never used one.
As GC says the AF on the D500 is excellent and very quick.
However, in low light you will see a difference in noise levels on the APS C sensor. I find Topaz denoise helps with this.

Also using the 500mm PF with the D500 and I find this a great combination. Not used a D850 but I find it also works well with the D810, full frame is a more versatile option, but if you just want a body to use with the 500mm PF I would go with a D500.

I see several UK dealers are now listing this lens as in stock.
LCE, Wilkinson, Dale Photographic, Park to name a few.
£200 off list at most of them.

Get the battery grip MB-N10 for the Z7. Totally transformed the handling on my Z6 and Z7 when used with bigger lenses (and twin batteries to boot). Sure, it's a crap design in as much as it doesn't have any control etc. but then at only £179 it's considerably cheaper than the other (functional) grips for DSLR's (e.g. the D850 one is £355). Also a damn site cheaper than buying a second body just for the times when you want to use a long lens ?

You don't say what you will be using the 500mm for but I will assume wildlife/sport other fast(ish) action.
The D500 will give you the best number of keepers with fast, accurate AF.
The D850 will give you better resolution and cropability (obviously) but won't be quite up there with the D500 on fast, accurate AF.
The 500PF will sit well with either body.

Thanks guys For all your input and personal experiences.
Ive ordered a New D500 today from WEX
interesting this new battery grip, maybe next version with Shutter button Etc
thanks again

Back