Beginner Nikond3500 or Canon D200 (T7)?

Name
Wiktoria
Edit My Images
Yes
I am a photography beginner and thinking of buying a DSLR camera. I have already owned a NikonD3200. From my research, I have found out that the NikonD3500 is a pretty good camera, with great image quality and overall kind of beats the Canon200D.. but I like the fact that CanonD200 has got the Wi-Fi and flip camera option. So I got a bit of a dilemma which one shall I choose?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations when it comes to other brands and models that you think are much better? Ideally looking to spend no more than £600. :)

You should have stuck with the Nikon, it's a good little camera.

The WiFi on any of them is so slow it's not worth bothering with to be honest. There is an adapter for the 3200: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-27081-Wireless-Mobile-Adapter/dp/B007VGGIB6 if you're desperate. Obviously, a second hand one will be cheaper.

I'm a Nikon user, so am obviously a little biased, but the problem with Canon is lenses - there are compatibility issues. However, I'm not the one to ask about this, but don't worry a Canon user will be along in a minute to put me right. ;)

BTW - witamy na forum . :)

Last edited:
Hi Wiktoria, welcome to the forum.

If you still have it, keep your D3200 - they are an excellent entry level camera and the 3500 will not be a lot better. What kinds of pictures do you want to take?

Hi Wiktoria, normally a bit more information would be needed for someone to offer any help.

What could you not do with the Nikon D3200?

Did you like the Nikon user experience? For example using the menus and general ergonomics.

What kind of pictures do you want to take?

The articulated screen may be useful, but WiFi / NFC may not be depending on how you may use it. My camera has an articulating screen, though only up and down, and WiFi / Bluetooth. The screen has been useful , the WiFi / Bluetooth only useful occasionality for connecting to a phone or tablet to get the GPS data embedded in images at capture.

but the problem with Canon is lenses - there are compatibility issues.
What?
Please list all the current Canon DSLR lenses that won’t work on the 200d? (A clue, there’s none)
And then list all the current Nikon lenses that won’t work on the Nikon D3500? (a clue, there’s plenty)

Then explain as simply as you can how you just managed to post something so misleading.

Thank you for putting me right; I've obviously been misinformed. Like I said ' However, I'm not the one to ask about this'.

I would certainly not intentionally misinform anyone.

Back to the OP @WiktoriaPasieczny ; if you would be happy to buy SH, then a ‘better’ older camera is a lot more useful than a brand new ‘beginner’ one.

Beginner DSLR’s are literally designed to give an upgrade path, it’s for the benefit of the manufactures not the buyers.

Hi, Welcome, why not check out the Olympus range of Mirrorless cameras at :-https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/bundles--kits-483-c.asp

Welcome to the forum.

Stay with the camera you have now. Learn it inside out and only upgrade to a 'better' one if you feel you need to upgrade.

Nearly everyone will tell you that the future is in mirrorless cameras, not dSLRs. I'd stick with the camera you have, but when you're ready to upgrade, that's the direction I'd suggest you go. Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Panasonic all have good options depending on the exact price point and features you need.

Go for Pentax - K70 - at least you don't have to suffer the Canon vs Nikon bickering....

All K-mount lenses since 1975 will work on it too ;).

Pentax owners are generally nice people too :)

What lenses do you have? Would it be better to spend that £600 on a much better lens? After all, camera technology (ie making stills) hasn't moved on that much since the D3200. It is a very capable - even if it is the base version - camera. I don't think the D3500 is much of an advance to be honest. And over to Canon the distinctions between different Rebel/Kiss models is so blurred that models evolve very slowly you lose track of what has changed and where models stand in the Canon line-up.

All K-mount lenses since 1975 will work on it too ;).
And this is why I went Canon.

I’d got K mount lenses from my pre AF life, and when I decided to move to the world of AF, someone said ‘get a Pentax, all your old lenses will work’.:)

But it’s not true; sure, they all fit straight on, but only ‘work’ when you remember which ones will need stop down metering, which ones will work with all your modes, which ones will focus and which ones won’t.

Whereas those nasty Canon cameras (threw the baby out with the bath water), just work. If your Canon lens fits your Canon camera, it’ll work exactly as you’d expect.

Back