Nikor Enlarging Lens

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
A few years ago, when I took up photography seriously, my father-in-law gave me a lens which had belonged to his father. He doesn't know much about photography and I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I accepted it, even though it was a Nikon and didn't looked like it would fit a modern day camera.

Was going through a cupboard yesterday and stumbled across it and had a look at the instructions that came with it and realised it was a 50mm f2.8 enlarging lens. These appear to be going for around £80-90 on ebay, quite impressive give that it cost £98 in 1992 (the receipt is with it as well).

Only thing is, the receipt saiy it is f2.8, the instructions are for f2.8, but the writing on the lens seems to indicate f3.5

Writing around the lens is: E - CONGO JR 1 : 3.5 F = 50mm

Is it definitely the f2.8?

If the lens says any where on it "EL-Nikkor 5cmF3.5C - "El-NIKKOR-C"" then it will be a f3.5 lens. It simply could be the wrong lens in the wrong box and wrong instructions :(

I have just looked at mine and it defiantly says EL-Nikkor 50mm 1:2.8 and I can see 2.8 through the aperture window.

Nikon made a large range of enlarging lens over the years and at least three 50mm ones.

Yep, it does look like it's the 3.5 although I can't find any examples on ebay, they all seem to be either f2.8 or f4. Pics below anyway

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

It's definitely not a Nikon enlarging lens, I reckon there has been a swap at some point. The last post on this forum thread (created by you!) is bang on the money I believe:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?47826-Nikon-CP-2

I'm guessing based on the story in the OP of that thread, he probably had an enlarger that came with the Congo lens, and then upgraded to the EL-Nikkor, put the Congo lens in the EL-Nikkor's keeper, and when the enlarger was sold/given away it was given away with the EL-Nikkor attached.

Last edited:
Good grief, that had completely gone from my memory! :confused:

Must admit, I did wonder why I hadn't asked around when I was given it.

As long as the enlarger was sold as-is, and no one took off any parts before selling it, it's almost certainly gone with the enlarger IMO.

As long as the enlarger was sold as-is, and no one took off any parts before selling it, it's almost certainly gone with the enlarger IMO.

I've no doubt you're right. I'll stick back in the cupboard and ask again in another 4 years! :LOL:

Back