Nissin i40 with YN622 TX ...

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
I have noticed an issue when combining these units.

Basically

ETTL works fine with I can control the +- EX through the TX on TTL mode (on flash and TX). However if I set both to manual the TX loses control of the flash, it does still fire flash but changing power settings on TX does nothing to flash.

Does anyone know if this can work? Googling the issue is fruitless.

Cheers,

Bryn

Last edited:
It really should be in bold on the first page of the manual.

Leave the flash in ETTL mode, when it's manual the comms pins are switched off, it literally just waits for the connection of the centre pin to fire. So the triggers can't 'control' it.

The triggers will use the ETTL communication to set the manual power, there really isn't a 'manual' setting it uses ETTL messages to fake manual. But that's more than you need to know.

All you need to know is that you leave the flash in ETTL mode and just control its power 'manually' from the TX.

Yep agree with Phil, I have been having a play with my yn622n, tx and yn565ex. Leave the flash in ttl.

It really should be in bold on the first page of the manual.

Leave the flash in ETTL mode, when it's manual the comms pins are switched off, it literally just waits for the connection of the centre pin to fire. So the triggers can't 'control' it.

The triggers will use the ETTL communication to set the manual power, there really isn't a 'manual' setting it uses ETTL messages to fake manual. But that's more than you need to know.

All you need to know is that you leave the flash in ETTL mode and just control its power 'manually' from the TX.

Yep agree with Phil, I have been having a play with my yn622n, tx and yn565ex. Leave the flash in ttl.

Thanks guys will try it out... I guess thought flash needed to be set to manual cause that's how the 568ex II works with it.

On that note do either of you know if you need the 622 receiver if you have 568 ex II?

Thanks guys will try it out... I guess thought flash needed to be set to manual cause that's how the 568ex II works with it...
The 568 is cheating the system, the Canon protocol says if the Flashgun is manual only the centre pin works. Whilst the 568 can 'listen' when in manual, you don't have to switch it to manual on the flashgun in order to use it in manual, so their 'making life simple' has actually caused you confusion, leave them all in ETTL and change everything from the TX.
On that note do either of you know if you need the 622 receiver if you have 568 ex II?
Yes

The 568 is cheating the system, the Canon protocol says if the Flashgun is manual only the centre pin works. Whilst the 568 can 'listen' when in manual, you don't have to switch it to manual on the flashgun in order to use it in manual, so their 'making life simple' has actually caused you confusion, leave them all in ETTL and change everything from the TX.

Yes

Thanks for the help you have saved me buying another 270 ex II flash. :)

Just tested with i40 on ttl but exposure doesn't change at all between 1/1 power and 1/128 power set in the TX.

@Phil V

Last edited:
@Phil V still not working with flash set to ttl it seems to setup initial setting but subsequent changes make no difference to flash power.

I have tried with flash mounted to camera and using manual controls on camera do not change the flash control Im guessing the flash just doesn't except manual controls from outside it's own unit

@Phil V still not working with flash set to ttl it seems to setup initial setting but subsequent changes make no difference to flash power.

I have tried with flash mounted to camera and using manual controls on camera do not change the flash control Im guessing the flash just doesn't except manual controls from outside it's own unit
Have you checked the TOYUG for compatibilty info for that flash?

Have you checked the TOYUG for compatibilty info for that flash?

Thanks that's a handy guide no mention of any modern flashes. Eg 270 ex ii which I know excepts manual settings.

I guess it just doesn't work :(

From what I understand there is issues with 622's and nissin guns . I was going to get hold of a 866MKII but don't bother for this reason .

From what I understand there is issues with 622's and nissin guns . I was going to get hold of a 866MKII but don't bother for this reason .

I have a 886 ii and it works perfectly no problems just this i40... though on another forum be told to enable eco mode and that will make i40 manual when set to ttl.

Try enabling C.Fn 05 on the C-TX and follow the steps listed on page 46 of TOYUG, This enables the C-TX to use the ETTL instruction set to set a manual power level on ETTL-capable flashes that do not support remote-manual settings.

Let us know how the test goes.

Back