No more competitions from me

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a new rule
"any correspondence means instant removal from the competition" :rules:

such a shame for FITP after giving so much (and I don't just mean prizes)

shame about that Flash...however, thanks for the competition.

It should have been chilled and relaxed community fun, but it became pain in the neck
real shame
If you're feeling generous again...two ways around this...appoint a "competition facilitator" have oversight and veto powers, but let them muck about with it.
Other thing is "the organiser reserves the right to change the stipulation and rules of the competition at any time, before or after entries are made. Decisions are final"
This should have been a nice fun competition. It's a shame it went down hill.
all the best

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the children who spat out their dummies and chucked their toys out of their prams over this competition.
Yet again you pathetic, argumentative morons have rocked the boat on forum that is known for its friendliness.
Just lately there have been far too many threads with people moaning and bitching about the decisions mods make, the rules and now this.
Flash In The Pan has been very generous with these competitions; I don't see any other traders stepping up to the mark, do you?
I hope you are really pleased with yourselves but I bet not one of you muppets has the balls to try and push your luck on other forums where the mods are nowhere as easy going as they are here.
I hold no apologies for my rant, I expect along with many others, are growing tired of the bickering on this forum .

:plus1:

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the children who spat out their dummies and chucked their toys out of their prams over this competition.
Yet again you pathetic, argumentative morons have rocked the boat on forum that is known for its friendliness.
Just lately there have been far too many threads with people moaning and bitching about the decisions mods make, the rules and now this.
Flash In The Pan has been very generous with these competitions; I don't see any other traders stepping up to the mark, do you?
I hope you are really pleased with yourselves but I bet not one of you muppets has the balls to try and push your luck on other forums where the mods are nowhere as easy going as they are here.
I hold no apologies for my rant, I expect along with many others, are growing tired of the bickering on this forum .

although to me that is a bit harsh i totaly agree with you there

there was so many people questioned flash
what was the need if unsure about the rules just ask simple

flash explained to everyone what candid was and people still told him diffrent im sorry but im glad it got closed

we need to pull together instead of bickering

But votes = wins
You're still missing my point :) Graham (mistakingly in my view) allowed entries that did not comply with the theme to stand in the belief that people wouldn't vote for anything not meeting the entry criteria. But I do understand why he did this and sympathise.

But if you have a competition with a theme then only entries complying with that theme should be allowed to stand. If you run a concours event for the original Mini and some geezer drives up in a Land Rover Defender what do you expect the stewards to do? They tear up his entry form and politely give him directions back to the asylum.

although to me that is a bit harsh i totaly agree with you there

I'm not usually blunt and straight to the point but I felt that it needed to be said.
I would not normally post a comment on a thread like this but with all the bickering of late, I need to make a point.

You're still missing my point :) Graham (mistakingly in my view) allowed entries that did not comply with the theme to stand in the belief that people wouldn't vote for anything not meeting the entry criteria. But I do understand why he did this and sympathise.

But if you have a competition with a theme then only entries complying with that theme should be allowed to stand. If you run a concours event for the original Mini and some geezer drives up in a Land Rover Defender what do you expect the stewards to do? They tear up his entry form and politely give him directions back to the asylum.

Lol sorry yes your right I did miss the point you were making atleast twice :LOL: but its friday and cant wait to finish work, as I have got a very exciting weekend ahead and im rush reading everything although that doesnt make time go any faster :bonk:

I'm not usually blunt and straight to the point but I felt that it needed to be said.
I would not normally post a comment on a thread like this but with all the bickering of late, I need to make a point.
and i happily agree that you are 100% percent correct
normally i would disagree but the way it is going other privilages are going to be removed if we are not carefull :(

I'm quoting this and the bold is my emphasis.

The admin set out how they want the forums to be and we try to help them achieve it. There are PLENTY of forums where the carry on in the other thread would simply have led to instant suspensions and bans. We try to let people discuss their differences like adults but that approach is being mistaken for weakness and is being challenged and abused time and time again.

I'm absolutely sick to the teeth that individuals can turn what could have been a regular fun part of the forum into a free for all. A member gave up their time and money to create something for everyone to enjoy and look at what happened. Could it have been organised better? Possibly, but that's not the point. The rules were what they were and individuals chose to take it upon themselves to criticise them.

I'm not going to name names but if you posted, have a close look at your contribution and decide if it was positive or not. If it wasn't, have a good long hard think before messing up someone else's efforts or continuing in this thread.

The Judge's Decision is Final.

Add that to the rules and that'll be that, anyone who doesn't like it, tough. That's it basically, and it's in all the compeition i've seen and it really is the only way to prevent argument, sad as it may.

FITP, thanks for the chance, i'd liked it, the topic, but i do feel that a public poll was the wrong idea, it's your comp, your prize so you should be the judge. Your word should be final.

I'm quoting this and the bold is my emphasis.

The admin set out how they want the forums to be and we try to help them achieve it. There are PLENTY of forums where the carry on in the other thread would simply have led to instant suspensions and bans. We try to let people discuss their differences like adults but that approach is being mistaken for weakness and is being challenged and abused time and time again.

I'm absolutely sick to the teeth that individuals can turn what could have been a regular fun part of the forum into a free for all. A member gave up their time and money to create something for everyone to enjoy and look at what happened. Could it have been organised better? Possibly, but that's not the point. The rules were what they were and individuals chose to take it upon themselves to criticise them.

I'm not going to name names but if you posted, have a close look at your contribution and decide if it was positive or not. If it wasn't, have a good long hard think before messing up someone else's efforts or continuing in this thread.

TBH I thought that is what was happening.I didnt see anybody becoming agressive,obnoxious or abusive.

The discussion was merely over the confusion over the theme definition.Questioning FITP right to a poll or his rules was never in question...for me at least, even if it was brought up previously.

As has been mentioned there is always discussion on theme interprutation in all comps but I have to admit ive never seen a poll questioned.

Maybe the decision was more to do the the 4 or more threads that there were relating to the one comp.Its been confussion all round.

Questioning FITP right to a poll or his rules was never in question...for me at least, even if it was brought up previously.

You are joking aren't you? You recommended changing the theme, the voting procedure and the definition of candid.

Well this whole thing is daft.

Ive never come across such a dis-jointed comp.People complaining and even begging for votes....sad!

The options are simple:

1: Flash picks his favourite/s and awards his generous prize to whomever he sees fit and for reasons known soley to him....it is after all his preogative.

2: Change the theme to "funniest wedding shots" as there is a complete breakdown of what people actually percieve candid to mean.

Not at all.....I merely offered suggestions for sorting out the mess it had become.They were not critiscms at all.

Further I never offered those suggestions in an agressive or antagonistic manner.

The definition of candid I refered to was what flash himself put in his OP from wiki.

I have seen similar outcomes on a different (not photography) forum I frequent, whereby unless rules are CLEARLY stated in detail and what the requirements are very specifically, it also turns into a farse. I'm not suggesting one thing or another, merely an observation.

Tbh I think FITP has every right not to set up more comps although it is a pity. For a start off it is only a bit of fun for people and in the process it gets us fellow togs out of our normal subject and trying candid shots in this case. There was also a worthy prize at the end for somebody. Billy no votes here spotted the obvious ones that didnt fit into the brief but what the hell! :shrug:
I suppose those that like moaning so much will now be preparing to complain to Harry Hill about all those you been framed clips that were staged :D

It's funny, this post is getting a bit bickery too!

Look, regardless of whether anyone thought they were offering positive criticism or not a competition isn't the place to do this. He was offering up prizes off his own bat under a competition which he stated the rules. If you didn't agree with any part of the competition you don't just start bickering about it/suggesting how he could change it. Instead you just shouldn't enter, or let it run its course without submitting to the urge to give your opinion on it. Sometimes opinions do need to be kept to oneself. FITP's competition was, in my opinion, one of those cases.

Could it have been organised better? Possibly, but that's not the point. The rules were what they were and individuals chose to take it upon themselves to criticise them.

Sorry but I think this is more than a little harsh. Individuals have the right in any competition where a prize with a monetary value is offered, to know the full rules BEFORE they enter the competition. This is a legal requirement, and it makes not one jot of difference whether it is a forum or not.

That said, any individual who enters has the right to expect scrutinisation of all entries to ensure they fit with the theme, and should expect entries not in fitting with the theme to be removed.

Unfortunately there appears not to have been any proper rules posted except details of the theme, which used a rather dubious source of reference. As there was no mention of the organiser carrying out judging then under TP rules it would be reasonable to assume that judging would be carried out by members in the normal poll manner.

Regardless of what entrants felt about the "candid" theme not being followed, someone, whether the organiser or TP staff should really have stepped up and taken ownership. All that needed to be stated was that members will be voting, and their decision will be final, and NOT that the organisers decision will be final.

There should not have been any talk of altering the rules midway through- this is unethical and illegal - the reason being that anyone entering the competition effectively forms a contract with the organiser. Unless stipulated prior to entries being submitted that the organiser has the right to cancel the competition, then this should not have happened either.

When you publish rules of a competition you are effectively making an offer, when an individual enters they are deemed to have accepted your offer. This forms a binding contract between the organiser and the entrant.

It would be common sense to allow the continuation of the voting and let this competition run its course in accordance with the (unsatisfactory but nevertheless) rules and the assumption that everyone here can make, which is that members voting will ultimately decide the outcome of the competition in accordance with TP rules.

Sorry but I think this is more than a little harsh. Individuals have the right in any competition where a prize with a monetary value is offered, to know the full rules BEFORE they enter the competition. This is a legal requirement, and it makes not one jot of difference whether it is a forum or not.

That said, any individual who enters has the right to expect scrutinisation of all entries to ensure they fit with the theme, and should expect entries not in fitting with the theme to be removed.

Unfortunately there appears not to have been any proper rules posted except details of the theme, which used a rather dubious source of reference. As there was no mention of the organiser carrying out judging then under TP rules it would be reasonable to assume that judging would be carried out by members in the normal poll manner.

Regardless of what entrants felt about the "candid" theme not being followed, someone, whether the organiser or TP staff should really have stepped up and taken ownership. All that needed to be stated was that members will be voting, and their decision will be final, and NOT that the organisers decision will be final.

There should not have been any talk of altering the rules midway through- this is unethical and illegal - the reason being that anyone entering the competition effectively forms a contract with the organiser. Unless stipulated prior to entries being submitted that the organiser has the right to cancel the competition, then this should not have happened either.

When you publish rules of a competition you are effectively making an offer, when an individual enters they are deemed to have accepted your offer. This forms a binding contract between the organiser and the entrant.

It would be common sense to allow the continuation of the voting and let this competition run its course in accordance with the (unsatisfactory but nevertheless) rules and the assumption that everyone here can make, which is that members voting will ultimately decide the outcome of the competition in accordance with TP rules.

I would be interested to know what law/legislation you are referring to that makes this competition legal/illegal... in fact how about we draw a line under this whole matter and move on (y)

Flash,

Firstly I can understand exactly why you have decided to call it a day in regards to the competitions, it was a VERY kind and noble gesture that you took your time and money to run something like that for the benefit of the forum users. Although I didn't enter either I did watch them with interest.

Having watched the recent "Candid" competition, and the way some people seemed to object to how you were running, categorising and discarding the entries I couldn't help but wonder whether it would actually run its course. Would these same people be objecting, criticising and complaining if this competition had been run by a large organisation such as the recent "Country File" competition from the BBC ? or if it had been run "Behind closed doors" as it were, where all images were entered to yourself only and not made visible to others. Then had you said 1st place X, 2nd Y etc

I thank you for giving your time, money and products to the cause and giving us ALL the opportunity to win, its just a shame it was made into a mockery by some users.

this is all truly unbelievable. Its a competition generously run by a fellow forum member, IMO mainly for fun but with a nice little prize as an incentive to enter.

Some of the comments in this thread are pathetic, a couple of you guys should be totally ashamed.

Your taking these competitions and yourselves far too seriously, going on about the legality of a fun competition - seriously?

I remember a signature I saw on another forum once (shortly before I stopped visiting due to this kind of thing), it said -

"Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = *****wit"

Shame this place is starting to go the same way, maybe its because you can pick up an SLR for £300 now so everone thinks there a pro with a pro opinion? Who knows.....

this is all truly unbelievable. Its a competition generously run by a fellow forum member, IMO mainly for fun but with a nice little prize as an incentive to enter.

Some of the comments in this thread are pathetic, a couple of you guys should be totally ashamed.

Your taking these competitions and yourselves far too seriously, going on about the legality of a fun competition - seriously?

I remember a signature I saw on another forum once (shortly before I stopped visiting due to this kind of thing), it said -

"Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = *****wit"

:clap: Totally agree. Now I think its time to say many thanks to Graham for his generosity [especially from me, he was very generous in his offerings for the convention raffle too] and then draw a line under the whole thing.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back