No to the Bike Parking Tax

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Westminster Council is planning to charge motor bike owners a Pound a day for parking their bikes. This has clearly upset the Capital's bikers and a very well organised protest is underway. These shots where taken at Ace Cafe which was the starting point of a protest ride around the M25 on June 19 2010.

Personally I do not see the problem, but I kept that view to myself while I took the pictures!

1) RATS

2) I owe my success to udders

3) Waiting for the "off"

4) A great vantage point

5) An event for all ages

6) A high visibility protest

Click on a pic for large!

I have a bike, and don't expect to be treated any different. I already have to pay some places here anyway.

Westminster Council is planning to charge motor bike owners a Pound a day for parking their bikes. This has clearly upset the Capital's bikers and a very well organised protest is underway. These shots where taken at Ace Cafe which was the starting point of a protest ride around the M25 on June 19 2010.

Personally I do not see the problem, but I kept that view to myself while I took the pictures!

:razz::puke::eek::cautious:
WHAT!???
firstly Bikes cause a FRACTION of the pollution of cars.... take up 1/3rd of the space. CAUSE NO TRAFFIC JAMS. and Westminster council is SUPPOSED to be encouraging "GREEN" transport.!!!! Anyone who supports this is just plain daft! Further more it will cost more to collect this than they raise AND no doubt they will increase it next year on that basis. Its the thin end of the wedg and deserves a RAPID and SAVAGE protest!

£1 a day to park, come on I pay out on average £2.40 per hour to park in city centres.

Motorcycles pay less on average road fund license, polute no more or less than my euro standard car. ( A 1000cc 4 cylinder motorcycle use does the same or similar MPG to a car and carries only 2 not 4 people )

I'm an ex motorcyclist of many years, I dont get to park in small bays one the pavement. I have to walk to where I want to go.

I appreciate what your saying about it being the tip of the wedge but come on £1 a day, it's not going to break the bank.

£1 a day to park, come on I pay out on average £2.40 per hour to park in city centres.

Motorcycles pay less on average road fund license, polute no more or less than my euro standard car. ( A 1000cc 4 cylinder motorcycle use does the same or similar MPG to a car and carries only 2 not 4 people )

I'm an ex motorcyclist of many years, I dont get to park in small bays one the pavement. I have to walk to where I want to go.

I appreciate what your saying about it being the tip of the wedge but come on £1 a day, it's not going to break the bank.

So, Are you willing to subsidise the collection of this?... I doesnt take a finance genius to work out that it costs more to collect. As for pollution... my journey to work takes HALF the amount of running time as the car... So even if I produced the same amount of carbon emissions as my car ( Which I would dispute.. You cited a 1000cc bike, What about 125ccs?) Its only run for HALF the time. Westminster council are hoping this will slip by unopposed and will have a fight on their hands. If anything causes congestion its the cars... And if "It's not going to break the bank" Lets see a £1.00 increase in the congestion charge then!

I think the argument is that bikes are far less hassle on the road then cars are. They do not need as much space and when parked they take up near enough no room. you could probably squeeze 4-5 bikes into 1 car parking space.

Although im not a bike rider, im very much on the side of the opposition here and dave has made some very good points!

As to the images, i think they do well at depicting the scene

Bikers should pay their way the same as the rest. Bloody old men (and women) playing at being Hells Angels:LOL::LOL:

Tbh, I can see why Bikers are opposed. But as pointed out. In most places your lucky to park anywhere for under £3 a day. being green or not has nothing to do with it.
At the end of the day a bike takes up space. Council know space is at a premium. They know they can charge and they will.

All councils money grab... especially with parking...

Mind you, saying that, having read the site... The anchor points thing is a very fair thing to kick off about.

Decent set of pictures depicting a just cause.

I drive a car and ride a bike and object to paying to park at the side of the road with either !
I pay the road fund licence to use the road ( Tax )
I pay for my fuel which is made up from mainly ( Tax )
I pay Vat on spares and other car / bike ralated stuff ( Tax )
I paid ( Tax ) when I bought them.

We shouldn't have to pay again to park when we have paid the above ( Taxes ) to use the road as parking is just a part of using the road !!!

Up the rebels !!!!!

Hi there.

Just joined up to comment after someone linked to the pics on the notobikeparkingtax forum.

Obviously, I'm a biker and support this campaign, but also a photographer.

Nice pics btw.

As for the reasons for the campaign, being 'green' has everything to do with it and the fact that cars pay doesn't automatically mean everyone else should.

I could go on, but there is a piece I wrote here: http://brokenhelix.co.uk/no-to-bike-parking-charges/

and a list of points here: http://www.notobikeparkingtax.com/

I'm sympathetic to the view that car drivers already pay through the nose. Soon westminster will be extending the charging scheme to midnight and charging £5 an hour for some parking spots.

But this doesn't really make charging for motorcycles fair by default imo.

Its also great way to get money from the unsuspecting. As a scooter rider I get use to parking and walk away. It took a couple of £50 fines before I remembered to check (I know it my own fault), but I no longer pop into the shops in Westminister the way I used to, as I won't take the risk any more, so the businesses suffer.

... next it will be bicycles having to pay to park!! You may laugh but just you wait!!

Then... then any pedestrian that stands still too long. I can see it now, a street full of clamped window shoppers! :eek:

Jas

I forgot to say they are great too! I hope you will be goiung along to the next one? 1st July??

Thanks Dave - July 1 is a "school day" but I'll see what I can do ;)

Back