No Wordpress CGI Script on 123.reg

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've spent the last two hours trying to start a Wordpress site for a friend but there is no CGI Script for Wordpress on her 123.reg account. I've been going round and round in circles googling only to get the same answers which say click on the Wordpress CGI. :banghead:

Now I have a Wordpress site hosted on 123.reg of my own and there is no Wordpress CGI on that either. I really can't remember how I did it, or even if I did or a friend did, but I do remember spending a whole evening trying to sort the same problem. :rolleyes::thinking:

So has anyone got any ideas what to do please?

Thanks in advance (y)

There is a set of instructions to install from scratch on wordless web site

Thanks. I looked at that and it's way over my head,something to do with php or some database thing, so my other friend must have done mine. We came to the conclusion that it's because of her hosting package, if you have businesses or up you very the WordPress CGI. I think she has spoken to them today.

Thanks. I looked at that and it's way over my head,something to do with php or some database thing, so my other friend must have done mine. We came to the conclusion that it's because of her hosting package, if you have businesses or up you very the WordPress CGI. I think she has spoken to them today.

Last time I had my Wordpress sites I had to have MySQL enabled with my webspace. MySQL is what runs php pages it costs a few quid a month..

For what it's worth I'm a technical numpty and was surprised how easy it was

I didn't realise there was a "Wordpress CGI".

CGI is a Common Gateway Interface - essentially a gateway between a webserver which is listening and responding to http/https requests and an application that knows what to do with those requests, for example PHP. And it's PHP, a scripting/programming language that Wordpress relies on.

I would be very surprised if PHP was not available with even the most basic web hosting offered with 123-reg. I'm sure they must have an install WordPress button somewhere?

By looking at the differences between my site and my friends, hers is a frontpage site at the moment, I did notice the MySQL thing and did try it which started a php thing. This must be how my other friend set up my site. But even though I read the instructions on the WordPress help I still had trouble. Firstly because I had to set up a WordPress thingy (I forget the name) and it wouldn't let me, secondly there was something about code, and thirdly dyslexia makes it hard to read normal stuff let alone jargon.

My friend who I'm trying to help phoned 123.reg yesterday and has upgraded her hosting package so she can have the WordPress button. It's a shame after all my hours of googling there wasn't anything that just said you needed that for the button. You never know this topic may help someone else and save them hours of Google trawling.

@afasoas the php on the 123 package she and I have only allows you to change the php version. It seems you have to set up a MySQL database to do anything with php, which I tried but failed for the reasons above.

Thank you so much for you help and advice everyone

Back