Noise and flare issues

Name
Colm
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have 2 questions here. I took a walk late last night to get a few shots of the spring tides in Essex because the sea comes up onto the road in front of a beautiful building which results in some dramatic reflections. However, my skills didn't live up to the task of making the most of this so I ended up with some images that could have been amazing, but just aren't. Any advice or tips will be gratefully received.

In the first image I kept the ISO at 100 by using a longer shutter speed (25 seconds f/11) but despite adjusting the luminance control in Lightroom up to 67 the sky is still very noisy. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Reflections of the Anchor in a spring tide by Colm Ó Laoi, on Flickr

I also seem to have an issue with flare. In this photo there's quite a bit of flare around the lights. Is the exposure too long, and if so, whats's the best way to get detail in the dark areas whilst limiting the flare.

Night tide by Colm Ó Laoi, on Flickr

Finally on this shot I once again have a flare issue. It's in the form of a large semicircle and I've no idea where it came from and my PS skills are far too limited to even attempt to remove it

High tide at night by Colm Ó Laoi, on Flickr

As for flare... it's often impossible to stop it when you have a bright light source in frame at night. Do you have a silly UV filter on your lens for "protection"? If so... get rid if it... there's nothing worse for adding flare.

On the last shot the flare is from the light on the building behind that tree. It probably doesn't show on the first one because the house itself makes it harder to spot, but against the dark sky of the wider shot, it's clearly seen.

What do you mean by "It could have been amazing"? What were you expecting beyond the reality of what you have?

Increasing luminance in software actually adds noise as it's just effectively upping the ISO. To get one of those clear star filled night skies F 2-2.8 would have been needed at same shutter speed. This would of course have over exposed your foreground.

When you do see grand star scape images they don't ever have a bright foreground with light pollution.

Back