Noise / Grain - Colour

Edit My Images
Yes
What causes this ?

It looks like digital noise to me !

Olympus Trip - Fuji 200 colour I think - from boots

5286744060_b1e3cc05e2.jpg

Bad processing maybe or ood film? Looks like it was dark place so the technicians could have maybe tried to compensate for the darkness and pushed the film a bit?

If the negative is under exposed then it could be noise from the scanner's sensor as the signal is amplified to give you an acceptable image. I think the only way to see if it is a film issue or scanner issue is to have a wet print made.

If it's a shop cd scan then the image was underexposed to start with, they have just upped the levels to compensate for the thin neg.

It's a cheap film and cheap (tesco 99p) dev.
Also, the film was in the camera for many months.

In my limited experience, the negs did look a little thin.

I scanned them myself.

I am trying to get an idea of what causes what - results wise, so I can learn and correct in the future.

How much difference does ...

Cheap or OOD film, against good / pro film make ?

or Cheap processing against pro labs ?

I am scanning myself, so that is a constant.

Any tips for scanning a bad neg, and improving the results ?

It's a cheap film and cheap (tesco 99p) dev.
Also, the film was in the camera for many months.

In my limited experience, the negs did look a little thin.

I scanned them myself.

I am trying to get an idea of what causes what - results wise, so I can learn and correct in the future.

How much difference does ...

Cheap or OOD film, against good / pro film make ?

I've not done any exhaustive testing but a lot depends on the type of film (B&W, colour neg & slide), how OOD it is and how it has been stored.

or Cheap processing against pro labs ?

Seeing as most processing is automated I think the biggest difference is how your negs are treated. You rarely hear of people getting dust covered and scratched negatives back from a pro lab.

I am scanning myself, so that is a constant.

Any tips for scanning a bad neg, and improving the results ?

I've had no success personally but it's worth trying out some of the 3rd party software for scanning which is more advanced than the manufacturer's and can allow you do multiple passes of the same negative to extract detail without noise. Think of it as HDR for scanners.

If the negative is under exposed then it could be noise from the scanner's sensor as the signal is amplified to give you an acceptable image. I think the only way to see if it is a film issue or scanner issue is to have a wet print made.

I'd go for an underexposed neg as well..many photographers (inc myself) set the ASA on the camera to 160 or lower for say 200 asa film, but low light has always been a problem when using film/cameras/lenses and many digital cameras have a problem as well.

Back