Noise problems

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know if it is just my eyes but I seem to be getting lots of noise and vertical lines in alot of my pics at the mo. Even when shooting at 100ISO and in bright conditions there is still noise. The sky in this pic looks awful on my monitor with noise and the lines being visible at the end of the right hand jet trail. I shot this as a raw and converted to jpeg with no messing around in PS, just resized. Anybody got any ideas what might be causing it? I know that the sensor needs cleaning as the dust cooties have invaded.
296667833_2c770eed27_o.jpg

Cant see any lines on there at all mate ! Have you tried on another computer or screen ? Is possible the screens had enough ! Can see a couple of dust cooties though ! ;) Not sure about the noise either to be honest, pic isnt big enough really !

I can't see lines or noise to be honest on the two monitors I have here.

2/3 stop under exposure was deliberate? Just wondering if you have been moving the big dial on the back and accidentally adjusting exposure compensation. ( not that I've ever done that ;) )

I found (as others have) that the newer sensors don't take to being underexposed very well - in the past, we all got into the habit of underexposing to avoid 'blowing' the highlights, but the newer cameras don't suffer from this nearly as much.
I had a long (and quite heated) discussion with the Nikon Service manager and the service managers from Calumet recently on this very subject - although we're still to decide on a default solution, this is what I've come up with so far:
Instead of underexposing to saturate colours (as we all did with film if you can remember that far back) we should all be aiming for as correct an exposure as possible with a good curve on the histogram.
Trust the histogram, not the monitor image.
Do your 'underexposing' to saturate the colours in Post-production, not in-camera.
Shoot RAW unless someone has a gun to your head.

You haven't been overclocking have you stephen?

Overclocking? Err dunno. I know that the pic I have posted looks ok but I have shrunk it quite a bit. I didn't realise that I was dialled down a bit and maybe this explains why only some of my pics look noisy. I really must remember to check the camera settings each time.
Thanks for the advice/help, Have to take the car in today, so whilst Peugeot try to empty my wallet I will have a couple of hours in town.
Check your settings
Check your settings
Check your settings
If I keep repeating it hopefully it will sink in. If I get anything worth posting I will put it up.
Cheers.

There are 2 positions for ON with the 20D. In aperture priority (as in the shot above from the exif) with the switch in the far ON position, when you half press the shutter you can then spin the big flat dial on the back to set exposure compensation. Something that is easy to do by accident and it stays set with that compensation. You can see it on the top display - but then you do have to be aware of it and actually look at the display!

Back