Nomad Bee

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Excellent Nick one of my favourite bee ... awesome shot but think you should share the other one from flickr :D

Nice work Nick.
Have you looked for one sleeping. Or have you seen the host bee of this parasite.

Last edited:
Nice work Nick.
Have you looked for one sleeping. Or have you seen the host bee of this parasite.

Thanks Alf. I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to look for as to the host bee. I have come across one sleeping a couple of times. Here are three from one I found in March 2011, captured with my Canon SX10 bridge camera and probably Raynox 150 (possible 250) using natural light. These are taken from this album at Flickr. They were captured as JPEG and I have just reprocessed these three using my current techniques (well, not exactly the same processing because these days I work with raw).

0350 3.1 2011_03 29 IMG_4370_JPEG DXO 11 01c SP7 LR6 1300h Df
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0350 3.2 2011_03 29 IMG_4363_JPEG DXO 11 01c SP7 LR6 1300h Df

0350 3.3 2011_03 29 IMG_4374_JPEG DXO 11 01c SP7 LR6 1300h Df

Thanks Alf. The host looks very similar to the one that I photographed a (different) parasite emerging from last year, as shown in this post that you might recall.

I remember that
They will appear at the same time roughly and in the same place There are numerous species and parasite pairings

These are flipping awesome Nick, the sleeping ones are very special.

Thanks Neil. I was given a very special opportunity - I got some shots as it moved around and then once it settled down it didn't move for ages. The air was still, the bee was on a nice background and accessible from both sides. I was able to choose from the many, many images that I captured. I was very fortunate.

Thanks Neil. I was given a very special opportunity - I got some shots as it moved around and then once it settled down it didn't move for ages. The air was still, the bee was on a nice background and accessible from both sides. I was able to choose from the many, many images that I captured. I was very fortunate.
I found one sleeping a couple weeks ago but didn't have the correct gear to shoot it how I wanted.

Those added shots are very cool Nick, never found one sleeping, must keep looking l guess ;)

Back