Non alcoholic and low alcohol beer

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Having returned from Iran a week ago, I can tell you that for two weeks I was completely "dry", apart from the quantities of "Islamic" or non alcoholic beer which I consumed. Some of it was good, some OK and some very malty and sickly sweet. However, the best ones I found were Bitburger 0.0% and an unknown Russian brand which was very refreshing and left no nasty aftertaste.
So, yesterday I bought a four pack of Brewdog's "Nanny State" 0.5%, and chilled it right down overnight. My findings were thus - very fresh, good hoppy taste, quite fruity with natural (not sweet) lemon hints and a slight fizz.
I would be quite happy to drink this if I was on driving duty, and I think it would be good with BBQ's.

I would rather drink my own p*** than drink low or zero alcohol beer....

Not a beer drinker but would rather drink juice or even plain water than an alcohol free alcoholic drink replacement.

Nanny State is IMO the only non alcoholic beer that tastes like beer.

But I've just discovered kombucha. Now we're talking.

I like both Beck's Blue and recently switched to Bud alcohol free (prohibition brew) as I can't drink beers which contain artificial colour (E150). So my choices are even more limited.
Alcohol free wine is just awful, so I suppose I should try this Kombucha stuff you speak of.

Last edited:
It’s a very personal taste, just like real beer.

I have tried several but have found Erdinger Alkoholfrei as one of the few palatable ones, or Bitberger Drive in second place.

The wife managed to get some alcohol free beer at the daughters wedding last night and said it was quite nice ,as she,s not allowed to drink alcohol at the moment due to her gall stones it did help to normalise pleasantries

And vegetarian sausages
Or dairy free cheese? Something else I have to endure thanks to being dairy intolerant (to a point).

Just cows' milk or all milks, Matt? Plenty on non-bovine cheeses available if the former (not that you'd need telling!)

Just cows' milk or all milks, Matt? Plenty on non-bovine cheeses available if the former (not that you'd need telling!)
It's actually the animal fat that I'm mildly allergic to. So cheese using animal rennet (sp?) affects me, just comes on like hay fever, sneezing runny eyes etc (sometimes gets my sinuses going too - and that hurts). So I just limit my intake to minimal amount and I'm ok, but thanks for the heads up.

Mrs Nod is vegetarian (not vegan) so doesn't eat cheese that uses animal rennet (sp. correct! ;)). Sainsbury's (and probably the other supermarkets) are pretty good at labelling their veggie cheeses and are happy to check any that aren't already marked as V.

There once was a man who had a severe drinking problem. And a friend of his was trying to help and even helped him try to switch to non-alcoholic beer.

“Dude, you should really try it. It tastes exactly the same and it’ll help your problems,” said the friend.

” I don’t know,” said the drunk.
“Drinking a non-alcoholic beer is like going down on your sister. Sure, it tastes the same but it’s just not right.”

I've tried loads of different lagers and the only one I keep going back to is Beck's Blue.
St Peter's Without is ok too, you can almost convince yourself it's a flavoured beer.

I will have to try the St. Peter's, but the Nanny State did OK on my driver's duty yesterday at a BBQ.

Back