Non Canon batteries in the R7

Name
Emile
Edit My Images
Yes
Given that an OEM LP-E6NH battery is £120, does anyone have any experience of problems with other brands e.g. Neewer or Hahnel? I recall a YouTube video which claimed that the owner had noticed that on high speed continuous shooting, the non-Canon battery would only give 5-6 fps.
Any thoughts?

My shooting buddy has Neewer LPE6NH with no issue in his R7 (I'm using them in an R6M2 with similar experience).

Always used 3rd party batteries from 300d to R6. Never noticed a reduction in performance

I'm using a k&f battery in my r7, I've not noticed any difference and it's usb-c charging, which is quite convenient.

My R8 charger seems to refuse to charge non OEM batteries

just my 2d

Dave
New Canon chargers have been refusing to charge non-OEM batteries for years, the fix is simple and works as an actual upgrade.

Buy 3rd party batteries with charger included. For less than the bulk of the Canon charger I can charge 3 batteries (mix of Canon and OEM).

When I was working weddings I used to mark my later Canon charger as it was only good for genuine Canon batteries, but use my old charger for 3rd party batteries. But since owning a 3rd party charger, I never use the Canon chargers (I left the charger for the R6 in the box)

I have a number of Canon LP-E6 family of batteries as I had a 7D, and a 7D2 before getting the R7. Using one of the older generation batteries in the R7 does limit high FPS usage.

These are all genuine Canon batteries, use of third party batteries may vary.

LP-E6 7D spec battery - do not support high speed use.
LP-E6N 7D 2 spec battery - does support high speed use.
LP-E6NH R7 spec battery - does support high speed use.

Last edited:
I’m using a mix of canon and 3rd partys, the 3rd party batteries date from my 7Dmii and still work just fine, cant remember the make but they are a rather fetching bright red. They don’t last quite as long as the canon one (which was new with the R7) but that’s to be expected due to their age if nothing else.

I recall a YouTube video which claimed that the owner had noticed that on high speed continuous shooting, the non-Canon battery would only give 5-6 fps.
Any thoughts?
An old OEM 7d battery would possibly do exactly the same thing. Since the release of the LP E6 it’s been upgraded twice (as per Andrew’s post), so it’s potentially an older and lower capacity battery.

my quick tests were done with fully charged batteries that were all in good health. The middle spec battery may loose high speed functionality with sustained use or a battery that is nearly flat. A poor condition battery may also not work.

Third party batteries is such a minefield that it may be difficult to make a generalisation.

Last edited:
I used Narweer with my 750D. It didn't hold charge for as a long as the official battery but I didn't notice a difference in the performance of the camera.

Non OEM batteries in my R7 (Duracell) restricted the frame rate with first curtain mechanical shutter to 9fps.

I didn't test any other shutter modes as I was not intending to use the electonic shutter at that time

D

Back