Non-OEM batteries for Canon M

Name
Jen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

As above, has anyone tried a third-party battery and charger for the M3 or M5? Especially one that communicates with the camera?

I bought two batteries from Amazon about a year ago and they have stopped charging and now I’ve lost my charger too. There’s plenty of options but I don’t want to make the same mistake again.

I used none OEM batteries in my Canon kit for years without problem, and pretty much any charger should do but might not have the same charge control as an original. I now use none OEM in my Fuji kit with one genuine and one cheap charger without problem.

Hi,

As above, has anyone tried a third-party battery and charger for the M3 or M5? Especially one that communicates with the camera?

I bought two batteries from Amazon about a year ago and they have stopped charging and now I’ve lost my charger too. There’s plenty of options but I don’t want to make the same mistake again.

The OEM Canon LP-E17 used in the M3/5/6 and a growing number of DSLR models are chipped to no real purpose.

The main nuisance is when using non-OEM batteries is the interrogation screen that points out you are not using OEM batteries, moving on you can use them but may lose battery charge information.

To my knowledge there are no non-OEM E17 batteries that by passthe interrogation screen but part-decoded batteries allow battery levels to be displayed.

I have a few OEM batteries but their price a crept up from the £39 mark to £54 so I use DSTE non OEM as, to date, they just last.

If you crack the issue do post your success.

If Canon’s adherence to scalp pricing of lens hoods is anything to go by, don’t expect any assistance from them.

Last edited:
I use them in with my d7100 and have had no problems
just don't buy the cheapest out there

I spent hours trawling the web yesterday and have settled for a battery and charger combo from German site Subtel, at £45 for both they’re not the cheapest but still half of what the same combo from Canon would cost and it was the only battery charger that categorically states it would also charge the original Canon battery.

I’ve used non-OEM batteries in my 5D2 but having been bitten once with M3 compatibles I’m a tad more reticent this time.

Thanks all

I spent hours trawling the web yesterday and have settled for a battery and charger combo from German site Subtel, at £45 for both they’re not the cheapest but still half of what the same combo from Canon would cost and it was the only battery charger that categorically states it would also charge the original Canon battery.

I’ve used non-OEM batteries in my 5D2 but having been bitten once with M3 compatibles I’m a tad more reticent this time.

Thanks all

Please post your experience with the set you have ordered.

The LP-E17 is going to be around a long time. I have 3 bodies that use it (750D/M5/M6) and the recent 200D also uses the same.

Steve

Please post your experience with the set you have ordered.

The LP-E17 is going to be around a long time. I have 3 bodies that use it (750D/M5/M6) and the recent 200D also uses the same.

Steve

Will do Steve, not much to report so far but the charger did fully charge the Canon battery plus the batteries I thought were duff **facepalm** Will update when I have a better feel if the battery life and usage

Will do Steve, not much to report so far but the charger did fully charge the Canon battery plus the batteries I thought were duff **facepalm** Will update when I have a better feel if the battery life and usage

That will be great. So far I have not had problems with non-OEM batteries but the coding issue is a PITA in having to carry 2 chargers to ‘be on the safe side’, not s problem when I am using my motorhome but still a nuisance.

Thanks again.

Steve

Are there batteries that the M5 recognises and so shows charge remaining etc?

Mine dont.

Iris shod be able to confirm that.

More and more cameras using the LP-E17.... nuisance coding scheme

From what I can gather there are NO fully coded third party batteries on the market at all. This is what I bought:

https://www.subtel.co.uk/2x-Battery....html?listtype=search&searchparam=Canon lpe17

You can’t see how much battery life you have left however they don’t give you a warning when you put them in like others do. One thing I do like - as mentioned above - is that this generic charging unit will charge my genuine camera battery too. It comes from Germany with a European plug but is a generic 2-pin adapter lead (I’ve got a couple of euro to uk adapters here anyway) but it also comes with a car charging lead which could come in handy as we’ve got a camper van and it has a USB plug on it too.

Will update on battery life once I’ve given it a decent test run

From what I can gather there are NO fully coded third party batteries on the market at all. This is what I bought:

https://www.subtel.co.uk/2x-Battery....html?listtype=search&searchparam=Canon lpe17

You can’t see how much battery life you have left however they don’t give you a warning when you put them in like others do. One thing I do like - as mentioned above - is that this generic charging unit will charge my genuine camera battery too. It comes from Germany with a European plug but is a generic 2-pin adapter lead (I’ve got a couple of euro to uk adapters here anyway) but it also comes with a car charging lead which could come in handy as we’ve got a camper van and it has a USB plug on it too.

Will update on battery life once I’ve given it a decent test run

I may have a look at getting a set to try myself.

My motorhome has a solar panel that trickle charges a battery bank and also a large USB Powerbank which has proved useful on my travels. I can stick it in my backpack and recharge camera batteries as I go using a USB charging block.

On video work with the M5 and 750D the low capacity of the LP-E17 cells is really noticeable, hence the on-the-go charging when away from where I am parked up.

Well after a better trial run, I think the batteries linked above are the way ahead. I think they’re actually marginally better performing than the Canon batteries and they are far better than the ones I bought from Amazon

Found my charger by the way **face palm**

Well after a better trial run, I think the batteries linked above are the way ahead. I think they’re actually marginally better performing than the Canon batteries and they are far better than the ones I bought from Amazon

Found my charger by the way **face palm**

Thanks for the feedback!

Will give them a go.

Steve

Back