Noob : Help with lens choice for canon 5d

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I picked up a canon 5d and am still getting used to it, currently the only lens I have is a canon 38-76mm.
I was looking at the canon 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 is usm lens when I noticed a few people talking about the canon 70-200mm F4L lens.
I do suffer with a bit of handshake so am leaning towards the IS style lens.
I just wondered which of these 2 lenses people would choose and what other lenses I should be looking at to get the best out of the camera?

Thanks in advance for your help

Paul

If you can afford it then I would personally go for the 70-200 F4L IS. You can't really compare it with the 70-300mm though as it is over double the price.

Ive got a 70-300 IS and its a good lens, but ive just upgraded to a 70-200 F4L (non-is) its waiting at home and i wont see it for a week or so.

If you have shaky hands then i agree the IS is probably the way to go, there is a big jump between the two lenses price wise though as mentioned before. The 70-300 has been called a hidden L lens in some reviews, i like it but dont stop it down enough to get the best from it. The IS is quite impressive though.

Hi, I'm pretty much like you - not been at the photography long, have a 5d, v. shaky hands!

The question is more what you want to photograph. Many say the 24..105 F4L is a great everyday lens on the 5D. And it is very good, but since most of my photography is of my children out in the park, the garden, whatever - a longer focal length is needed so it wasn't for me. It has excellent IS though.

I've never heard of the lens you have before!

Usual suspects are,

50mm f1.4 as a "general purpose" fixed lens - ideal in the evenings because of it's huge aperture which means no need for a flash indoors (talking of a 430ex would be a sensible investment).

Other primes of interest are the 85mm f1.8 for head-and-shoulders portraits, 135mm F2 also for portraits, and the 200mm f2.8 for something a little longer.

Zoom wise it's the 24..70 F2.8L for wide-to-medium, 70-200 of any description for a bit more length, then the 100..400 L for (eg) motorsport, zoo's etc.

The IS is definitely worth the money, even on the 70-200F4L IS although it is twice the price of the non-IS.

Whatever you do, look up Kerso on here for some keen pricing!

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Although the IS is particularly good on the 70-200 F4L IS, a larger lens like this creates a nicely weighted camera which is much easier to hold steadily anyway.

Without stating the obvious, the best help you'll get on here are from those owning the lenses they comment on. Good luck.

And I for one am happy to recommend the 70-200 L IS as being streets ahead of the 70-300. And yes, I've had both. Can you guess from which I upgraded to the other?

Thanks for all the advice, going to look at the 70-200 L is then, might have to wait a bit while I save.
Pearce jj thanks for the very concise help, forgot all about a flash so that was really helpful.

Tried searching for Kerso, couldn't find any specifics. Am I supposed to pm a request to Kerso? all help appreciated

2kerso@gmail.com or kerso1123@msn.com

He comes on here quite a lot but lives in the US, so when sending him a message, please bear in mind that he is 5 hours behind UK time :)

As for the 70-200 f4 IS, this is a good choice as it boasts the latest generation IS system, meaning the IS is good for 4 stops shake reduction (y)

Thanks for details, I'm off to work now. so will try tomorrow

Back