Beginner Noob querry - camera feels 'zoomed in'

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys and gals. I've been into photography for the past few years but I have only been using galaxy mobiles. I treated myself to a dslr a few days ago - canon 1300d. Now i'm a complete beginner/newbie with DSLRs, I'm not sure if there is some simple setting or if this is something to do with the lens? My problem is my camera seems really zoomed in. I will attach some photos to show what I mean, the first pic is off of mobile and second is from dslr. the lens is a yongnuo 50mm f1.8 same as. i'm also wondering if there is a setting to make the photos more rectangular like the mobile? any help is very appreciated.

https://i.ibb.co/3W6h2XS/20181217-104049.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/W5kJhYT/IMG-1842.jpg

second set -
https://i.ibb.co/D1DqCmx/20181217-145739.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/89JNNjF/IMG-1874.jpg

I think the answer is that you have what's called a 'crop-frame' camera with what could be thought of as a 'standard' lens (50mm) on a full-frame camera.

And a phone camera is pretty wide-angle, so you've gone from one extreme some way towards another. Any of this make sense?

What you are seeing here is simply a large difference in focal length between your mobile phone and the 50mm lens on the DSLR.

The mobile phone you were using probably had an equivalent focal length of around 26mm. Your 50mm lens on the 1300d has an equivalent focal length of 80mm due to the 1.6 crop factor of the APS-C sensor. So in effect, you are actualy "zoomed in" (as you put it in your title) and as a result the field of view of the image is much narrower.

Sounds like you want a wider angle lens. A 35mm on your crop-frame body would be about 'normal'. A 24mm would be a bit wide, etc ...

May be worth pointing out too that you have a prime lens (fixed focal length) so you can't zoom in or out. What you see is what you will get.

Good camera, good lens, that 'zoomed in' feel may mean it's not the best for landscapes or creative wide angle distortion but it's good for people portraits and the f1.8 aperture means it's good for out of focus backgrounds.

Enjoy. :)

Walk forwards = zoom in
Walk backwards = zoom out.
Nowt wrong with the camera or lens.

Who's Ken Rockwell?

Take a picture of someone on your side of the road!

Last edited:
Good camera, good lens, that 'zoomed in' feel may mean it's not the best for landscapes or creative wide angle distortion but it's good for people portraits and the f1.8 aperture means it's good for out of focus backgrounds.

Enjoy. :)

yeah i have found it nice for portraits. landscape is more my thing. anyway thankyou to everyone, i have the advice i need :) although i won't be taking photos of randomers in london :LOL:

Walk forwards = zoom in
Whilst Ill agree there’s nowt wrong with the camera /lens.

I won’t stand by and allow people to suggest you can zoom with your feet. You cant, and the reason we have a choice of focal lengths is because we need them to produce the pictures we want to produce.

yeah i have found it nice for portraits. landscape is more my thing. anyway thankyou to everyone, i have the advice i need :) although i won't be taking photos of randomers in london :LOL:
If youre looking to get a lens that’ll give the same angle of view as your phone, you’ll be looking for a zoom lens that covers at least 17mm, maybe if you want to shoot Landscape, look for an 11-18, if money is tight an 18-55 at it’s widest might do.

Whilst Ill agree there’s nowt wrong with the camera /lens.

I won’t stand by and allow people to suggest you can zoom with your feet. You cant, and the reason we have a choice of focal lengths is because we need them to produce the pictures we want to produce.
I like to think he was being a "Smarty Bottom." with his response...I'm being polite. (And generous.) :)

Zoom with your feet is one of my pet hates and IMO too many people seem to believe it so I think it does need correcting even when said as a joke especially when there's the chance of confusing a newcomer.

Yes, you can sometimes walk nearer to a subject or move further away but often you simply can't... and there's the change in perspective to consider which may well be seen when comparing shots taken with a phone (about 28mm equiv.) and a 50mm (about 80mm equiv.)

If youre looking to get a lens that’ll give the same angle of view as your phone, you’ll be looking for a zoom lens that covers at least 17mm, maybe if you want to shoot Landscape, look for an 11-18, if money is tight an 18-55 at it’s widest might do.

pretty much same as a mate told me. i found an 18-55 for about quarter the price of the 10-18 so went for that for time being. thankyou :)

=

Last edited:
pretty much same as a mate told me. i found an 18-55 for about quarter the price of the 10-18 so went for that for time being. thankyou :)

It might be an idea to set your zoom at 18mm and then 55mm and at each setting take a picture of the same thing, maybe a person with something interesting in the background, with the person the same size in each picture, you'll therefore need to be closer at 18mm and further away at 55mm. You'll see the difference in perspective in each picture and this may help you to see that zoom lens (or rather different focal lengths) are not only for taking pictures of things that are far away or for getting everything in the shot, they can also be use to give you different perspectives.

Walk forwards = zoom in
Hate to be the nitpicker but no.
In order to change framing of subject
Zoom in or out = change of angle of view but perspective stays the same
Walk forth or back = change of perspective but angle of view stays the same.

On a second note this is a good example of the hardlived poor recommendations to buy a nifty fifty as a every day do all lens dating back to the film days not taking into account the cropfactor of APSC which makes it into a short tele great for portraits but not so much for so many other applications.

I bought a 50mm for my 1100d (older model than your 1300d) and I haven't found a single use for it. I mostly use my canon 17-85is, very nice focal range. They're about £140 from mpb. I have looked at the efs 10-18, but I'm not sure how often I need anything that wide.

Probably mentioned above but your mobile phone probably has an effective focal length of 28mm as standard.

You are using a crop sensor so 1.6 X the focal length on the lens you are using. Using a 50mm lens your effective focal length is 80mm.

To achieve the same field of view as your mobile phone, you would need a 17.5 (18mm) lens. The kit lens that probably came with your camera will be an 18-55mm - so basically that lens on it's widest setting will be the same as your mobile phone in terms of field of view.

Probably mentioned above but your mobile phone probably has an effective focal length of 28mm as standard.

You are using a crop sensor so 1.6 X the focal length on the lens you are using. Using a 50mm lens your effective focal length is 80mm.

To achieve the same field of view as your mobile phone, you would need a 17.5 (18mm) lens. The kit lens that probably came with your camera will be an 18-55mm - so basically that lens on it's widest setting will be the same as your mobile phone in terms of field of view.
This adds to the confusion ... 28 =18 ... ?

Apologies Tom. I don't know what I was up to at 10ish last night but I remember we were at a neighbours house at 6 for xmas drinks.

Back