Noobs first wedding.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone, I'm after a little help if you'd all be so kind :)

I've been taking photos for a year or so, and of course, now a friends getting married he wants me to take a few photos - its only a very small and intimate wedding in a registry office, then down the pub later - so there isn't much pressure on me, and there will be another photographer there as well taking photos (another friend).

That said, I want to do him a good job and do the best I can at giving him photos he will remember - I'm struggling when comes to gear, I have a Canon 450d, with kit 17-55mm IS lens, 50mm f1.4, and a 60mm Macro - I think that I'm willing to buy a new lens for the occasion but I cant decide what will be the most useful.

Price is only partly an issue, I dont want to spend silly lens money, but I'm willing to fork out a bit.

Do I go for a wide lens, being a cropped body, something in the 12mm-20mm range?

Or, a 70-200mm lens? I saw a 17mm-85 (I think it was) lens that I thought could be a good lens for the task - giving me a little more reach than my current 17-55 whilst still giving me access to wider angles for a few group shots etc.

Think I just need a bit of advice, can anyone assist?

If it was me I wouldnt bother trying to cover focal lengths you already have... my personal choice would be a sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM OS... good for low light and has OS.

Use the 50mm 1.4 indoors if no flash allowed and the 17-55 outdoors. :cool:

Unless you are using the wedding as an excuse to buy some new kit (y)

Last edited:
There are many hundreds of identical, or near identical, threads on here. I suggest you do a search before this one deteriorates like all the other ones do.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, it is just the way this type of thread develops.

Last edited:
There are many hundreds of identical, or near identical, threads on here. I suggest you do a search before this one deteriorates like all the other ones do.

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything, it is just the way this type of thread develops.

I can well imagine threads get a bit unruly and "useless" - I'll try and keep it fun :) - but yeah, your right, I didnt do much searching I must admit :bonk:

If it was me I wouldnt bother trying to cover focal lengths you already have... my personal choice would be a sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM OS... good for low light and has OS.

Yes true, I guess your right about not covering what I already have - daft idea :). I'll have a look at that lens, to be honest I've not really considered none canon lens much. I've read that focal range is good.

Use the 50mm 1.4 indoors if no flash allowed and the 17-55 outdoors. :cool:

Unless you are using the wedding as an excuse to buy some new kit (y)

Aye, I intend to make good use of the 50mm, its my fave lens by far and awesome indoors :)

Yup, I've justified buying a new lens with my friends weddings :) - good excuse tho right lol.
Cheers for the pointers.

Last edited:
cant delete posts :( - see reason for editing above.

Last edited:
I think you will struggle if the light is not particularly good, which it usually isn't in pubs. The 50mm f/1.4 is good but probably not wide enough and the 17-55mm hasn't really got a wide enough aperture. I would get a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and you should be able to shoot the whole wedding with that. It would be good to get a flash and some 1/4 CTO gels
if you haven't got any. A Nissin Di622 is a good cheep option.

Even cheaper option which has served me well is a yongnuo yn-465 which is a ttl flashgun for £40.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm after a little help if you'd all be so kind :)

I've been taking photos for a year or so, and of course, now a friends getting married he wants me to take a few photos - its only a very small and intimate wedding in a registry office, then down the pub later - so there isn't much pressure on me, and there will be another photographer there as well taking photos (another friend).

That said, I want to do him a good job and do the best I can at giving him photos he will remember - I'm struggling when comes to gear, I have a Canon 450d, with kit 17-55mm IS lens, 50mm f1.4, and a 60mm Macro - I think that I'm willing to buy a new lens for the occasion but I cant decide what will be the most useful.

Price is only partly an issue, I dont want to spend silly lens money, but I'm willing to fork out a bit.

Do I go for a wide lens, being a cropped body, something in the 12mm-20mm range?

Or, a 70-200mm lens? I saw a 17mm-85 (I think it was) lens that I thought could be a good lens for the task - giving me a little more reach than my current 17-55 whilst still giving me access to wider angles for a few group shots etc.

Think I just need a bit of advice, can anyone assist?

Let me first qualify my answer here and state that I've never done a wedding, but from your kit list you seem to have most angles covered. Personally I would not buy a 70-200 F2.8 (unless you want it), but would hire one and buy a flash for shooting at the reception. Buying an external flash has improved my night time photography more than my F1.4 prime or my F2.8 zoom lenses. It really is a good investment. Look at the 430 EX II and up.

I think you will struggle if the light is not particularly good, which it usually isn't in pubs. The 50mm f/1.4 is good but probably not wide enough and the 17-55mm hasn't really got a wide enough aperture. I would get a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and you should be able to shoot the whole wedding with that. It would be good to get a flash and some 1/4 CTO gels
if you haven't got any. A Nissin Di622 is a good cheep option.

I do have a flash on its way, 430EX - not sure if I'll be able use inside tho, I think I might be tho - if not, I believe the light in the room is ok, for the pub though, yes it will be a lot darker with no natural light - so a flash will come in good then - I havent used gel's before so will have a look at those whilst checking out the Tamrons :)

I shot a wedding in July almost exclusively on a tamron 17-50. I only used a zoom after the service and at the reception i didn't want to put my camera in peoples faces.

the 50mm is a winner here for portraits I think
70-200 OS is 700-900 quid, and might be overkill
a 3rd party lens might be good in the 24-70 f2.8 range which will give you some moderately wide shots and nice DOF for portraits
however, you have no flash, this is a biggie for me and I would look at that as a priority.
I have a YN565ex which I think is good for £100 (as well as a 580exII, couldn't afford more canon speedlites!)

Looking at your lenses I think that something a little longer would be better I once used a tamron 28 - 75 2.8 not the sharpest at 2.8 but at 5.6 loved it

17-55IS kit lens? Do you mean 18-55IS? The 17-55IS is about 10 times the price of the kit lens.
Im in a similar position, im doing my daughters wedding (again, very low pressure day) and plan on hiring a 17-55IS f/2.8. Having owned one for a few years until last year i feel this is going to cover almost all situations, and those that it doesn't i have my 50 f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4 IS.
The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 mentioned would also be a very good choice.

Back