East Anglia Norfolk landscapes?

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm located in the centre of Norfolk and wondered if anybody here knows some nice and ideal locations to get some good shots, particularly landscapes of the countryside?

Not a chance. Its so flat you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.

Lol! It's not that bad is it? I have managed to get a few nice shots in the past just from lay by's, but wondered if there were any places I'd not been to before to try :)

I'm located in the centre of Norfolk and wondered if anybody here knows some nice and ideal locations to get some good shots, particularly landscapes of the countryside?
You can do yourself a huge favour and get the FotoVUE book, Photographing East Anglia, by Justin Minns.
There may still be a discount for TP members, not sure, but @Mick Ryan might confirm.

Lots of military bases (Marham, Lakenheath, Mildenhall) if aircraft interests you. Peterborough cathedral?

Plenty of coastal interest, lots of heathland around thetford where the gorse/heather can be interesting. your not going to get dramatic mountains and grand visits but more selective shots, Essex is similar unfortunately but then thats what holidays and weekends away are for, just dont tell the Mrs.

Last edited:
One to consider is the walk along the river from St Olaves onto the Island.

Pan flat obviously but with a nice selection of windmills along the way.

Needs a good sky.

I'm off in the East of Norfolk. The challenge as others have amusingly noted is it's pretty flat, but that's not the end of the world. There's lots of water about.
I've taken some beach and marsh images (and seals) I like at Horsey beach, The Windpump is also pretty and I think they've finally finished the restoration but it tends to be a busy tourist spot.
I've taken more beach pictures up at Holkham, while it's pancake flat the massive beach can have a really beautiful light.
Out on the broads there are various windmills and windpumps that can add a focal point for an otherwise flat scene - look at St. Benet's Abbey.
Castle Acre is worth a look as is Baconsthorpe castle.

You can do yourself a huge favour and get the FotoVUE book, Photographing East Anglia, by Justin Minns.
There may still be a discount for TP members, not sure, but @Mick Ryan might confirm.

Thanks, just ordered that.

Norfolk's great. Beautiful coastline especially the North, quite a lot of windmills/windpumps and waterways. Broads pretty especially in winter if there is frost or mist. Look out for poppy fields and barley fields in the next few weeks (barley looks great being blown in wind). Justin Minns’ book is a very good start

I can't think of much in central Norfolk, but it's not far to the broads or the north coast, both of which are full of landscape opportunities.
A few old ruins around too (Castle acre, has both a priory & remains of a castle...) which can work very well.
Not the right part of the world if you want to shoot mountains, but as long as you avoid the fens it's not exactly flat.

My parents lived in Dereham (which apparently includes the exact geographical centre of the county). Wells next the sea & Norwich were both within 30 minutes drive, with lots of good locations near both.

Last edited:
I'm in Norfolk too, only been here for a few months, but I bought the "Photographing East Anglia" book by Justin Minns. Huge number of places to go, the book has just as many places as the Scotland book (which I also own).
Sure, there's no mountains, but there's miles and miles of coast, tonnes of forest/woodland, lakes, rivers, cliffs, dunes.
East coast locations for sunrise and west coast (Hunstanton/Heacham/Snettisham) for sunset.
The marshes around places like Blakeney and Burnham are good.

I've got a few semi-decent (IMO) landscape shots on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thenorfolkfiles/

I think unlike Scotland or the Lake District, you can't just rely on mountains and hills to provide you with obvious shots. You need to think and look a bit differently for your composition.

Justin Minns book arrived a few days ago. It's a weighty thing and I'm going to enjoy digging through it. I've already discovered somewhere on my doorstep I'd never heard of!

Anywhere on the north Norfolk coast is pretty good.

You don't have the impressive hills of Torridon but you have impressive big skies.

Dave

Back