Critique North Cornwall 2nd attempt at Seascapes, edits added

BMG

Edit My Images
No
Well, just come to the end of a fantastic week in Cornwall. All I can say is wow, such a beautiful part of the country. I was able to nip out and leave the wife putting the kids to bed to have a go at some seascapes. Sadly this is something I very rarely get the opportunity to do living in Northampton! However these are my second/third attempts at capturing this type of shot. I have to say I'm pleased with them, I accept there are not on par with many on here, Flickr, 500px etc. please any feedback you wish to leave, good or bad, greatly appreciated.

These are all straight out of the camera, as still being Cornwall, I have no laptop. So I am aware of the vignetting and the really odd dust spots on the left hand side, no idea what they are, but they appeared on my first attempt at long exposure stuff! Think it's on the sensor??

View attachment 35942 View attachment 35943
View attachment 35944

View attachment 35945
View attachment 35946

4th is very nice to me I like the effect on the water, Trevose Head?

Well spotted! Absolutely stunning part of the world! Thanks for looking!

I agree a lovely part of the UK. I like the 4th also......surreal water effect. BTW - is that sea spray spots or has the sensor got a few dust bunnies on it? Just had mine cleaned, I couldn't believe how much crud was on it......yet I'm so careful!

It was quite a calm night, however the sea was really choppy. I almost didn't leave, I could have sat there for hours watching it, however a lack of a torch and I started to freeze meant I did eventually pack up and come home. The marks on the left are not spray, thankfully I was far enough away from the sea in no4, the others not so much, got slightly wet feet & tripod! I think they're dust bunnies, the only other time time they appeared was the 1st time I tried long exposure, normally I only take photos of the kids, so much shorter shutter speeds and they've never appeared. I don't trust myself with cleaning the sensor, I might take it in to my local camera shop and have it done.

Number 4 is a nice shot but they all look a bit underexposed to be honest

The composition of the others and the scenes don't do anything for me unfortunately

Thanks for looking, at last I have my laptop, so can now make some tweaks! With regards to the others what would have improved them?

Last edited:
1 and 4 appeal to me the most....though the water may be a little too milky.
The breaking waves in 2 are rather lovely too.

I'll agree with viv on1&4 but will improve with processing. Be sure to update the thread with the finished images, but as straight from camera you've got some good images to work on.

Well the sad thing about being back home (other than the fact I live in Northampton ;)) is I have no time to play around with the shots. Also not helped but the fact I also tried my had at shooting a panorama which won't stitch together in Photoshop! Any suggestions greatly appreciated, think I have too many shots (34). Anyhow, these are my attempts so far at numbers 1 & 4 from above. I quite like the b&w but not the colour, can't quite decide why though! I think it's too light, before had an element of moodiness about it!

Again thanks for looking

View attachment 36224

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

View attachment 36517
Added another edit, would love to hear what people think, especially compared to the originals. I'm pleased (ish) with the outcomes, however still value everyone's opinions!

Well the sad thing about being back home (other than the fact I live in Northampton ;)) is I have no time to play around with the shots. Also not helped but the fact I also tried my had at shooting a panorama which won't stitch together in Photoshop! Any suggestions greatly appreciated, think I have too many shots (34). Anyhow, these are my attempts so far at numbers 1 & 4 from above. I quite like the b&w but not the colour, can't quite decide why though! I think it's too light, before had an element of moodiness about it!

Again thanks for looking

View attachment 36224

View attachment 36225

View attachment 36226

These are the ones to keep. Re-edits work well. Trash the other ones. You need to get closer to water line and control shutter speed to make waves appealing.

These are the ones to keep. Re-edits work well. Trash the other ones. You need to get closer to water line and control shutter speed to make waves appealing.
Thanks for looking & commenting! I did get slightly wet feet on the last one!

We had a superb two weeks there near Lizard..10-24th. April.Sounds (looks) like you were there at the same time as the weather went downhill as we left. We now go back twice a year,we love it. It's renowned not only for it's scenery..especially the coastal scenery but the quality of light and not only will you find photographers flocking there but artists too.

I prefer to wait until I get home to edit the photos as just small improvements can make a lot of difference. Too many photos.35 ?.. Not at all. I took 430 ..probably 150 scenery,the rest birds and have now got them down to 110 and can get rid of several more yet.

The first photo is very attractive,I like that sort of shot but dear me…Lol. re.. photo 2 and 3 ...next time you go you need to get a bit further back.You're lucky you just got wet feet and a wet tripod..all it takes is a wave a bit bigger than most and they happen all the time,infact that one in photo 2 looks a bit feisty, and you could be in trouble especially on a beach where there's a steep slope.You're on the right track here with the LE but I think a longer exposure was needed at Trevose Head to get the sea looking milky.We've been there so I recognised the lighthouse.

I think the last photo has too much cliff foreground and it's very dark too. Can't help you re. stitching,I expect someone will but there' are a lot of tutorials on the web.

Were the sunset photos taken at Kennack Sands ? Looks a bit like it but I think many locations look like that.

We were there from the 18th, couldn't get over how lucky we were with the weather!!! The beach was an area called Trevose just around the headland from Padstow, where we were staying! Funny you should say about the waves, it was a bit hairy at times, I had a jetty just behind me & was remote shooting on my phone, so ready to do a runner if I didn't feel safe!! I like taking pictures but not enough to take a swim!!!!

I certainly took more than 35 images, that was just for the pano, managed to sort in the end with autostich, did it in seconds!!

With regards to the photo, the last was 1minute 15, unfortunely I only have a 3stop filter, so was difficult to go any longer without over exposing, think the darkness might be my editing! Will have a look at a different crop to remove a bit of cliff in the foreground!

Cheers for looking & taking time to comment!

Back