North East Air Museum night shoot

Edit My Images
No
It was a very enjoyable evening tonight. Met some friendly photographers and shot some very impressive aircraft. To think I'd driven past the "Air Museum" sign many times and not thought to stop in and have a look!

Anyone else who was there is welcome to post in this thread.

1. Vulcan under starlight

4133849225_d20a27e523_o.jpg

2. Vulcan cockpit

4133852757_8e41624894_o.jpg

3. Vulcan pilot - between bombing runs

4134625618_69fd38f01e_o.jpg

4. Incoming!

4134629888_8ed1d0a28b_o.jpg

The first shot is fantastic, really atmospheric. Its a shame the wing-tip was clipped but its a minor point. looking at the wingtip you have to wonder how long this aircraft has left; it looks like rust is bubbling along the panel seam, under the paint.

Cheesy

Some really good shots there, did you use hdr ? Very Good!!

Thanks Cheesy - yes, that bit of the wing does look a bit worse for wear! The chaps there seem to know what they're doing though, I'm sure they'll not let the end of the wing drop off!

Thanks ohmsie! I see you're a Vulcan fan too! No I didn't use HDR on any of these. A bit of fill light & contrast on number 6 just for effect. To be honest I find the concept of HDR a bit of a faff. I do sometimes merge using Enfuse in Lightroom if I've got a bright sky where bracketing is essential to achieve proper exposure in foreground and background. But tonight it was just artificial light and moonlight so there wasn't really the need for HDR, unless you really wanted that effect.

Was great to climb into the Vulcan cockpit. Considering the size of the plane, it's darn cramped in there, twelve square feet for (I think) four crew!

excellent shots there martin, apologies i didnt get to meet you tonight, i was run off my feet (i was the blonde lad in a high vis vest)

there will be more photoshoots soon so keep your eyes open for a post on here

thanks for turning up :) hope you had a good night

Thanks Cheesy - yes, that bit of the wing does look a bit worse for wear! The chaps there seem to know what they're doing though, I'm sure they'll not let the end of the wing drop off!

Thanks ohmsie! I see you're a Vulcan fan too! No I didn't use HDR on any of these. A bit of fill light & contrast on number 6 just for effect. To be honest I find the concept of HDR a bit of a faff. I do sometimes merge using Enfuse in Lightroom if I've got a bright sky where bracketing is essential to achieve proper exposure in foreground and background. But tonight it was just artificial light and moonlight so there wasn't really the need for HDR, unless you really wanted that effect.

Was great to climb into the Vulcan cockpit. Considering the size of the plane, it's darn cramped in there, twelve square feet for (I think) four crew!

That isnt much room at all, from footage ive seen it was quite noisy in there too, imagine the guys cramped up in there all the way to port stanley and back during the falklands invasion, think they had about 7 air to air refuels along the way too....
Lovely pictures , there is an excellant balance of light, dark and a lovely contrast of colours

Hi all, i'm Alex AKA Spock AKA guy dressed up as pilot at NEAM for the photoshoot. I'm a 16yr old straight male NOT a 16 yr old crossdresser as suggested by someone!!! I'm a museum member and was NOT wearing lipstick! Just thought i'd register and make that perfectly clear. Once again thanks to all that turned up.

PS Vulcan was typically a 5man complete crew. Another two men e.g chief tech etc could be carried on the jumpseats. The pressurised crew compartment is approx 12ft long out of a total a/c length of around 105ft. Down to the Falklands the Vulcans carried an extra man, attached from the Victor force who was an AARI (Air-to-Air Refueling Instructor).

Last edited:
Hi all, i'm Alex AKA Spock AKA guy dressed up as pilot at NEAM for the photoshoot. I'm a 16yr old straight male NOT a 16 yr old crossdresser as suggested by someone!!! I'm a museum member and was NOT wearing lipstick! Just thought i'd register and make that perfectly clear. Once again thanks to all that turned up.

PS Vulcan was typically a 5man complete crew. Another two men e.g chief tech etc could be carried on the jumpseats. The pressurised crew compartment is approx 12ft long out of a total a/c length of around 105ft. Down to the Falklands the Vulcans carried an extra man, attached from the Victor force who was an AARI (Air-to-Air Refueling Instructor).

Alex, hi there and thanks for being around at the shoot. Just to let everyone know, Alex was very helpful, willing to do whatever it took to make a good shot. And he was watching in case I fell off the Vulcan steps :D Cheers mate.

Maybe I'll do another one of you in front of the Lightning with the saturation turned down a bit. Cheeky monkeys here eh?! :)

haha i'm not really bothered to be honest just thought i'd better say something XD
you always get one smart alec anyway.
thanks again

was the lighting outside a painting by light set up ? or staright flash heads?
looks guid anyway!
well done

Wow, love these! Are they planning on doing this again any time soon? would love to shoot some of these birds at night.

Where is it? Didnt know we had one around here!

was the lighting outside a painting by light set up ? or staright flash heads?
looks guid anyway!
well done

Thanks Mark! There's you wondering what sort of special flash system I'm using, when really it's just the site floodlights in play here. The 6-point sunstars come from the 6-bladed aperture in the Sigma 10-20 lens. No need for light painting or external flash. I did try some light painting but the flash light was so blue against the yellow floodlights and I didn't have any gels - it just didn't look right.

Nice to know it looks like a complicated strobist setup though! (y)

Wow, love these! Are they planning on doing this again any time soon? would love to shoot some of these birds at night.

Where is it? Didnt know we had one around here!

Thanks Mark! I've driven past the "Aircraft Museum" signs on the A19 loads of times and never thought to turn off to take a look! :bonk:

Wow really nice mate, some HDR's woulda been fab!

Thanks JR! I could have easily done some HDRs but I didn't think too much about it. I was concentrating more on getting the correct composition on the outdoor shots. The HDRs would have slowed down the shooting a bit much as well - a 15 second exposure doesn't sound much, but when you add on the noise reduction and processing time and you're stood outside in the famous North East cold and drizzle it seems an age!

Back