North West 200

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I was at the Tuesday practice session for the NW200 and managed to get the shot below. Technically, it may not be very good (it's my first attempt at sports photography), but it's significance from a bike fan's point of view is that the rider - Martin Jessop - had just gone through the speed trap on the course at 208mph!! A phenomenal speed, I'm sure you'll agree.

Any hints for improving my technique are very welcome.

Jonathan.

DPP_1015 by The Swallow Brae, on Flickr

Very sharp and well focused, a lower shutter speed wouldv'e made a nice pan, but I do like the shot as it is also!

I just love the bike!

Well done :)

Thanks for the feedback Jake. I think the high shutter speed was to do with my inexperience. I suppose I should have used a higher f number and slowed the shutter slightly?

Maybe using a filter would have helped, because it was very sunny at the time, but I've found that when using a polarising filter, my images don't seem as sharp. I'm using a Hoya Pro1 Digital filter. Is there anything I could do to sharpen my images when using the filter?

Jonathan.

Last edited:
No. one get the sun at your back or off your shoulder camera in tv mode and shutter speed set to start with, until you get the hang and some panning practice 1/320, let the camera find the aperture for you in decent light you shouldn't have a problem.

Bill

Great shot but would agree with Jake that you need to lower your shutter speed to get more feel for the speed these bikes go but a very crisp shot with great colour.

Nice shot, as mentioned lowering the shutter speed would help convey the speed. Nice crisp shot with bright colours so still very nice.

When I heard that for 3 consecutive laps in practise riders where lapping at 208 mph, 208 mph and 207.1 mph I let out a little giggle. Going to the Isle of Man TT myself in 2 weeks time and I can't wait

Thanks for the feedback Jake. I think the high shutter speed was to do with my inexperience. I suppose I should have used a higher f number and slowed the shutter slightly?

Maybe using a filter would have helped, because it was very sunny at the time, but I've found that when using a polarising filter, my images don't seem as sharp. I'm using a Hoya Pro1 Digital filter. Is there anything I could do to sharpen my images when using the filter?

Jonathan.

As said above, use Tv mode, your camera sets its own aperture that way, it's a good learning curve (y)

With your comments about a polarising filter, I cannot offer any help I'm afraid. I have yet to use my own Hoya CPL :bonk:

Another one from the same area. The bikes seemed to be lifting both wheels over a small bump in the road, but I could only ever catch them with the front lifted. :)

Anyway, all C&C welcome as usual.

Jonathan.

DPP_1016 by The Swallow Brae, on Flickr

When I heard that for 3 consecutive laps in practise riders where lapping at 208 mph, 208 mph and 207.1 mph I let out a little giggle. Going to the Isle of Man TT myself in 2 weeks time and I can't wait

That would be nipping along ! Might have been top speed .

Nice sharp shots. RIP Mark buckley who was killed today

Hi Jonathan Another good shot nice and sharp but looks little over exposed.

Hi Jonathan Another good shot nice and sharp but looks little over exposed.

Thanks for the feedback Kevin.

Could anyone point me towards a facility in Digital Photo Professional where I could pull the exposure back a little. Not sure if it's even possible with this software?

I must invest in Photoshop. :)

Jonathan.

If you use Raw you can play around with the exposure by changing the settings ,I always use DPP,I have Photoshop but never use it as I find it takes me a lot longer to end up with the same result.
Ian

There is a lad at work that uses gimp this is free software and he says it's very good. Google it if it's free it's worth a try

Great shot would be nice to see the wheel blur so that you get a sense of speed

Back