North England North York Moors and Coast

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Got a few nights at the Horseshoe in Levisham coming up - have Whitby and Robin Hoods Bay on the list but anything else I should try and pull in ?

Port Mulgrave is a small community on the beach a few miles north/west of Whitby. It's easy enough to park near but access to the beach/port from the cliffs is on foot and can be a challenge.
The port is like a shanty town, very interesting. I've wanted to photograph it each time I'm near but the trip down to the beach put my wife off. It's via track, but one part is so steep that a rope is fixed there to hang on to.

You have the North York Moors Railway, Rosedale Abbey ( if you're into ruins) .
When you go to Whitby from Pickering on the RHS at I think Ruswarp, there is an excellent Fish and Chip shop with a little restaurant , far better than what you get in Whitby.

As a diversion from Whitby (on foot), a few hundred yards south/East on the beach (accessed at Whitby), are the remains of a concrete barge that was kept near/in the harbour for use during the 2nd World War to sink in the harbour entrance in the event of an invasion on that coast. It broke loose in a storm and was wrecked on the beach (If I recall the information board correctly). It is an interesting shape with great textures. Good if you've seen enough of Whitby. It can also be seen (at low tide) from the coastal path just past the Abbey.

Wow thanks folks will definitely check them out ! Especially the chippy :)

Port Mulgrave looks fascinating! Wonder if you can still get down ?

Keeping an eye on this, as I will be staying in Staithes later in the year.

The chippy (Eskdale Fisheries) if I'm thinking about the same one is in Sleights rather than Ruswarp.
It's owned by a family that has outlets in Whitby. I've had great fish & chips from it and also not so good.
I've eaten at the Horseshoe, no complaints from a food and drink perspective. Never stayed there though.
Photo suggestions, Staithes, Saltwick Bay wreck of Admiral Von Tromp (tide permitting) Helmsley Castle and it's bird of prey centre. North York's Moors Railway, with station at Levisham. Bit further away Bempton Cliffs for sea birds. IHTH

Back